Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: Illinois @ Indiana Tues., Feb. 2, 9 pm ESPN/2

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

Because of the guy most have hinted at dolson hiring which would be a 7 for me if that happens

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alford? I guess I'm out of the loop, I don't know who Scott would be hiring

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You are correct we are due

My only fear is how far Archie set us back.  

I feel like we were a very desirable job when Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson took it.  Obviously Kelvin destroyed it, and I think we overachieved with Crean considering the mess that was left.  Crean elevated the job to desirable again...we were set to make a big hire.  Then Archie flopped so badly that the desirability factor is back down to the bottom.  We might have to get a lesser hire to build our attractiveness level back up for the top tier coach.

Just now, Josh said:

I feel like we were a very desirable job when Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson took it.  Obviously Kelvin destroyed it, and I think we overachieved with Crean considering the mess that was left.  Crean elevated the job to desirable again...we were set to make a big hire.  Then Archie flopped so badly that the desirability factor is back down to the bottom.  We might have to get a lesser hire to build our attractiveness level back up for the top tier coach.

I think the roster the next guy would be getting is way better than the one Archie got imo. Every number has approved under Archie from Crean except wins, which is the main number. Knowing both them I have no problems with Archie, just wish he would win more. Crean is an a$$hole. If we were poised to make such a big hire? Why didn't we? That is the disconnection I think IU fans have. There wasn't a big name that really wanted the job at what we were willing to pay. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

If we were poised to make such a big hire? Why didn't we?

There wasn't a big name that really wanted the job at what we were willing to pay. 

You answered your own question.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Alford? I guess I'm out of the loop, I don't know who Scott would be hiring

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is Dolson was hired because he'd have an inroad to Alford if we needed a new coach. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is Dolson was hired because he'd have an inroad to Alford if we needed a new coach. 

I know their friends. But he would be putting himself on the line bringing Steve in. Steve didn't pass the smell test last time. Chris Reynolds was the one in his interview who said he would fire Archie and raise enough money to hire a Donovan or Stevens. That didn't go over well since he finished 2nd or 3rd for the job. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I know their friends. But he would be putting himself on the line bringing Steve in. Steve didn't pass the smell test last time. Chris Reynolds was the one in his interview who said he would fire Archie and raise enough money to hire a Donovan or Stevens. That didn't go over well since he finished 2nd or 3rd for the job. 

Not sure I know what you mean? Is it because of fan reaction and his dealings at Iowa?

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Not sure I know what you mean? Is it because of fan reaction and his dealings at Iowa?

Yes we sent multiple people out to USLA to talk to him, not official IU people but Adidas people and from what they said, IU doing their homework behind the scenes, it was suggested to stay away. 

I really don’t think Archie has set us back at all. As far as the next coach, if he’s a good hire, taking whats here and running with it.

As bad as we have played and inconsistency we have still been in most games. We still have terrible losses and the texas loss, but it’s not like we’re getting blown out every game. The team IMO has a solid foundation, and have no off court issues, and seems like if there are they are handled immediately and sternly (hunter) and they play with effort most the time.

If our next hire is the right guy I truly think the current team has a solid foundation to run with and you’re not really going too far backwards. I too thought Archie was a good hire at the time; definitely was a highly respected and sought after guy, it just hasn’t panned out and I can admit I was wrong about him. I just still do not want to fire an Archie to hire another Archie and be here again in four years. If you fire him you HAVE to have the right guy lined up

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I really don’t think Archie has set us back at all. As far as the next coach, if he’s a good hire, taking whats here and running with it.

As bad as we have played and inconsistency we have still been in most games. We still have terrible losses and the texas loss, but it’s not like we’re getting blown out every game. The team IMO has a solid foundation, and have no off court issues, and seems like if there are they are handled immediately and sternly (hunter) and they play with effort most the time.

If our next hire is the right guy I truly think the current team has a solid foundation to run with and you’re not really going too far backwards. I too thought Archie was a good hire at the time; definitely was a highly respected and sought after guy, it just hasn’t panned out and I can admit I was wrong about him. I just still do not want to fire an Archie to hire another Archie and be here again in four years. If you fire him you HAVE to have the right guy lined up

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is exactly what I wanted to say, but not able to express it as well as Jeff did

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

How confident are you that this President (Don't have one yet), AD, Administration will get the next hire correct? 1-10, 1 being not at all, 10 being we got the best possible guy. You don't have to tell me who you think it should be, because most guesses on here that I have seen seem to be a little crazy to me. 

How confident am I they will get the next hire correct?  2

Reason:  They talk a big game, Big Ten championships and Final Fours.  What they really want when reading between the lines.  A coach that will do just well enough, finish middle of the pack in the Big Ten, maybe towards the top every once in awhile, make the tourney, and somewhat appease the fanbase.  Honestly, they don't really seem interested in wanting to deal with BIG TIME college athletics and all that comes with it.  They want an athletics department that doesn't cost them money or ruin the reputation of the university.  They aren't willing to take the risk associated with the potential for a massive black eye, they got that with the ending of the Knight era and Sampson debacle.

Indiana could absolutely snag a top level coach and be the dominant program in the Big Ten and achieve elite status in a few years.  The university has the history, some good, not great, facilities, and the ability to attract top level players.  I don't know the facts but I do know some of the dealings that happen at big time basketball programs.  If you increase assistant salaries it becomes easier for them to pass some dough to players for a little spending money throughout the year.  This happens far more often than anyone wants to admit.  How do you stop it?  You limit assistant salaries!

This administration couldn't care less about returning IU to the glory days of blue blood and elite status.  There are boosters willing to help but the university doesn't want that headache.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How confident am I they will get the next hire correct?  2

Reason:  They talk a big game, Big Ten championships and Final Fours.  What they really want when reading between the lines.  A coach that will do just well enough, finish middle of the pack in the Big Ten, maybe towards the top every once in awhile, make the tourney, and somewhat appease the fanbase.  Honestly, they don't really seem interested in wanting to deal with BIG TIME college athletics and all that comes with it.  They want an athletics department that doesn't cost them money or ruin the reputation of the university.  They aren't willing to take the risk associated with the potential for a massive black eye, they got that with the ending of the Knight era and Sampson debacle.

Indiana could absolutely snag a top level coach and be the dominant program in the Big Ten and achieve elite status in a few years.  The university has the history, some good, not great, facilities, and the ability to attract top level players.  I don't know the facts but I do know some of the dealings that happen at big time basketball programs.  If you increase assistant salaries it becomes easier for them to pass some dough to players for a little spending money throughout the year.  This happens far more often than anyone wants to admit.  How do you stop it?  You limit assistant salaries!

This administration couldn't care less about returning IU to the glory days of blue blood and elite status.  There are boosters willing to help but the university doesn't want that headache.

Yes, back in the Knight days every steak n shake in Bloomington gave players free meals, also Noble Romans a lot of times. Marathon on 17th street took care of all the player's cars, and Cook hiring players' parents for jobs they didn't deserve. Things like that can happen

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

No surprise. The university probably thought he was trying to be good at his job. 

Because of the guy most have hinted at dolson hiring which would be a 7 for me if that happens.I also believe they tried with archie to be great and I thought archie was a 9 hire. I didn't think there was a chance he would be this bad. No way they could mess up again!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alford? That would be a -1 for me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm with Chris on this subject matter. There wasn't a home-run hire when Archie was hired. 

There isn't a big name hire now either. In the meantime, I'll hope and pray Tatum and Brown continue to lose in the NBA and one asks for a trade. Celtics break it up, Brad leaves, and says it's time to return home to Indiana. He takes over the Hoosier program and we rename Kirkwood Ave to Brad Steven's Avenue!