Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Should COVID-Postponed Big Ten Games Be Made Up?

22 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

IMO.... no.  Michigan State now has four missed games.  Putting these games so they fit in Michigan State’s schedule AND their opponents is certainly going to randomly put some teams at a disadvantage due to lost rest. 

They should count as forfeits if they aren’t made up in terms of seeding for the BTT.  And generally I would like us to make our MSU game up in early March. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They should count as forfeits if they aren’t made up in terms of seeding for the BTT.  And generally I would like us to make our MSU game up in early March. 

There are other teams that would also like to make up the MSU game about then as well.  They’ve already missed four games and haven’t rescheduled them.....I don’t know how you reschedule them without being favorable to one team.  And that’s assuming MSU doesn’t miss any more games.

22 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

There are other teams that would also like to make up the MSU game about then as well.  They’ve already missed four games and haven’t rescheduled them.....I don’t know how you reschedule them without being favorable to one team.  And that’s assuming MSU doesn’t miss any more games.

4?  Thought it was 3. Iowa, Illinois and Us. Of course they haven’t scheduled them.  They need to find the final total to do before they start making the schedule. 

Frankly MSU needs these games more than any of their opponents. They are going to want to reschedule. Even if it means playing us and Illinois back to back nights at home. Then finding a spot for at Iowa.  

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

4?  Thought it was 3. Iowa, Illinois and Us. Of course they haven’t scheduled them.  They need to find the final total to do before they start making the schedule. 

Frankly MSU needs these games more than any of their opponents. They are going to want to reschedule. Even if it means playing us and Illinois back to back nights at home. Then finding a spot for at Iowa.  

My point is it shouldn’t be about whether MSU needs these games more than their opponents do,

How many games will this be for Michigan?

State health department to suspend University of Michigan athletics for two weeks, per source close to the athletic department and documents obtained by The Daily.  Five confirmed cases of B.1.1.7. COVID-19 variant in dept, 15 more presumed positive.

We're scheduled to play them next Saturday in Ann Arbor.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

How many games will this be for Michigan?

State health department to suspend University of Michigan athletics for two weeks, per source close to the athletic department and documents obtained by The Daily.  Five confirmed cases of B.1.1.7. COVID-19 variant in dept, 15 more presumed positive.

We're scheduled to play them next Saturday in Ann Arbor.

Yowza.

Is it wrong to think...”Phew, that’d be a helluva break for the Hoosiers if it gets canceled.”

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

But MSU would be the one facing extreme hardship so if they are willing to deal then the point doesn’t really matter 

But then it becomes simply random luck as to how many games get postponed for each team and then how their schedule gets crammed together.  As mentioned earlier here, Michigan is looking at postponing games as well, which would mean IU having to  cram two games into their schedule.  Other teams have none.  

Don’t be surprised to see teams that are solidly projected in the tourney to maybe opt out of the conference tournament all together.   Some might decide to not take the chance at playing and having a positive test hurt their chances in the ncaa tournament.     I could also see some of these games between 2 teams that are projected in the tournament to go ahead and just  cancel the regular season game 

Going to be interesting last couple weeks of the season to see how this will play out.  

let’s say a team is 14-11 (9-9) and they have 2 games left to play.  With the committee dropping the number games required to make the tournament to 13 i could see some programs or coaches finding a way to have a health issue to cancel some of those last games if they think they are projected in.   

committee will have their hands full this year

I think they should be made up, and the team that didn't cancel should get priority in setting the date and time.... otherwise just cancel the whole season and be done with it... (I DON'T really want that, but with the way we are playing I don't really care as much either LOL).

The thought of making them forfeits is one thing, but the committee isn't going to view a forfeit victory as anything special on anybody's resume.

Michigan canceling at least 4 games and that is with 0 positive tests! Any Coach or AD can just manipulate the system to whatever seems most advantageous to them... that's crap, make them make them up, and make them do so on other schools schedule and if it means they have to play 4 games in 7 days or something then so be it!

2 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I think they should be made up, and the team that didn't cancel should get priority in setting the date and time.... otherwise just cancel the whole season and be done with it... (I DON'T really want that, but with the way we are playing I don't really care as much either LOL).

The issue I have is that we are looking at teams like Michigan State that already have three games postponed and haven't set a schedule of making up any of them.....so it's not just whether the canceller or cancellee is getting priority, it's now on teams that had games cancelled fighting it out for a preferable spot.  It's why IMO you have to start the rescheduling process right away if you are going to do it -- because we know they won't be the last games postponed anyway.  Michigan State, Michigan, and Nebraska have all postponed multiple games now.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:20 AM, Uspshoosier said:

Don’t be surprised to see teams that are solidly projected in the tourney to maybe opt out of the conference tournament all together.   Some might decide to not take the chance at playing and having a positive test hurt their chances in the ncaa tournament.     I could also see some of these games between 2 teams that are projected in the tournament to go ahead and just  cancel the regular season game 

Going to be interesting last couple weeks of the season to see how this will play out.  

let’s say a team is 14-11 (9-9) and they have 2 games left to play.  With the committee dropping the number games required to make the tournament to 13 i could see some programs or coaches finding a way to have a health issue to cancel some of those last games if they think they are projected in.   

committee will have their hands full this year

Could even see the committee decrease the number of teams in the tournament.  ESPN has been running multiple bracket projections including 16 and 48 team brackets.  Can't see them doing a 16, but the 48 team bracket is one where they decrease both at large and automatic bids.