Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

NOLA Hoosier

Game Thread: Rutgers Scarlet Knights @ Indiana (12PM ET on BTN)

Said we haven’t had a leader since Yogi. I think it’s more than the leader thing. I think that’s an easy way out and puts blame on players over coach. TJD is our leader. Maybe he’s not the best leader, idk, but Archie is actually the leader. I don’t think the players like or trust him. There are always bigger issues than meets the eye when teams are losing.

In closing, leadership is part of the problem, but blaming 20 yos for this isn’t fair to them at all. Archie recruits them, coaches them, subs them, peps them, picks the game plan and style, helps select the “leaders”. He is the leader.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’ve been on this hill for years. Age doesn’t determine a leader, ditto for position or title.

Archie is responsible for this team and program. When **** goes wrong it falls on him. It’s his responsibility to identify the proper leader on this team and in recruiting future players. However, it’s on these players too.

They talked before the season how things were different. How they were all in Cook Hall on their own time. How the chemistry was better. Awesome, they’re better friends and like each other as friends. They still don’t give a **** about each other enough to push each other to be better. It’s on them to step up and hold each other accountable. **** being in the cool group if you’re losing. When do they take pride in their game and their teammates?

Archie can ***** and moan all he wants but it won’t work until the players start to lead. They won’t get better until they create a standard that’s acceptable. It’s better when your best players are the leaders but someone on this roster needs to step up and say enough is enough. That hasn’t been around in the Archie era and was rarely seen in the days of Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Archie can ***** and moan all he wants but it won’t work until the players start to lead. 

I think we're saying similar things but to me the fact that Archie is so passive on the sidelines really sets a tone.  It implies that leadership is something he's just hoping to see, rather than something he is nurturing...and expecting!  I want him to succeed but I just don't see it happening until/unless he starts leading by example.

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

We want football to come this soon after that terrible finish..? 

I honestly enjoy the football games a lot more, even if we don't win, because we're used to being so bad that winning and playing well feels like a bonus. The basketball games are just a slow, boring and painful grind. Winning and playing well doesn't provide the same feeling because it's usually a mirage.