Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

NOLA Hoosier

Game Thread: Rutgers Scarlet Knights @ Indiana (12PM ET on BTN)

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Been to one IU game since Archie became coach and that was in Indy. Also quit going to HH. The product is going to have to get much better before I return to Btown.

Hoosier Hysteria is sooooooo BORING now. Used to be an awesome show.. now it's literally like watching a crappy practice with no fun being had. 

Not a lot of positives today, but this was the most comfortable Lander has looked all season. First time he wasn't rushing everything. Hopefully he can keep that going.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is improving.

Not very good defensively though....Know who Gio Baker is? I do. You do. Did he?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m going to walk my statement back. After watching again and concentrating on his play, I’m going to admit that I was wrong about his defense. Contrary to what I thought, he was actually really good. There were couple times where he over ran a play or two, but that’s about it. Nothing that resulted in a score. There was a play in the first half where it looked like he might have over helped and was late on a close out. Actually, that wasn’t his fault. Wasn’t his guy even. Baker came down the wing in transition and was uncovered, Kristian saw it and ran out to contest. He was the only one who even noticed. His shot fell tonight. If he keeps improving on offense, I’d have no problem with him going up to 15 min.

I’d also like to see him look to penetrate while he’s in. Heard many people lobby for playing time on his behalf, based on the assumption that he is better suited to attack the rim and create through penetration, than say Rob is. I wonder a bit as to where that comes from. To my knowledge he hasn’t yet tried to penetrate until tonight? Anyway, would like to see it more.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I personally would have immediately began fouling to extend the game after we cut it to 3 with 50 seconds left. Rutgers is 2nd to last in the nation in that category. I think it was a mistake to let Rutgers run the clock down. I bet the Rutgers staff is laughing their a$$es off this morning over that one.

16 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

So it's ok to call them names? Nothing wrong with being critical. Getting personal and calling people names is stupid, especially over a game.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No, it’s not ok. But it’s also not ok when people take online comments from a small minority of fans and put that on the rest of us and act like IU fans are crazy people with insane expectations. Frankly, they should be happy fans still care about IU basketball when most of the IU basketball players don’t even care. 

I’d also like to see him look to penetrate while he’s in. Heard many people lobby for playing time on his behalf, based on the assumption that he is better suited to attack the rim and create through penetration, than say Rob is. I wonder a bit as to where that comes from. To my knowledge he hasn’t yet tried to penetrate until tonight? Anyway, would like to see it more.

I think many assumed he could get into the lane because of his speed, but I'm not sure he's strong enough yet to deal with the contact. You can see the shiftiness and the ball handling, so I think it'll come eventually, hopefully after a full offseason of some real training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

I personally would have immediately began fouling to extend the game after we cut it to 3 with 50 seconds left. Rutgers is 2nd to last in the nation in that category. I think it was a mistake to let Rutgers run the clock down. I bet the Rutgers staff is laughing their a$$es off this morning over that one.

I thought the same thing. Archie Miller should know as well as anyone by now that his team simply can't come up with stops in the final minute of one-possession games. I would hope that a guy making $3.5 million a year to coach basketball would know Rutgers isn't a good free throw shooting team. Perhaps he had some other sophisticated reason that we simpletons just wouldn't understand for not fouling there. Or maybe, like I've suspected for awhile now, he's just in over his head in this league, and the pressure of this game made him totally space on it. 

Can’t say I’m surprised. It’s the “too cool for school” attitude. Hard work is optional.

A replay of of Wiscy vs. O$U circa 2007 was replaying on BTN earlier. I caught a stat that Oden was 3-5 from the line at one point in that game and it got me thinking. How are we struggling from the line, splitting for almost 36 minutes of the Iowa game when a dude shot 60% with his ******* offhand!! Then I remembered that our team likes to talk about how they got better instead of actually getting better.

13 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That is interesting. Went to the comments for that tweet and Fish also said he wanted to go down on the floor and set them straight. Fish is rarely critical of the current coach so he may not have been overly critical in this comment but if so that is not good 

If Fisch says so I believe it. I don’t know if the tweeter is accurate.

If true, this is very troubling.

A few years ago fisch was very critical of the kids and their effort on dakich so this isn't the first time under archie he has criticized them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I listened to this interview on my way home. They have him on weekly in the Fort Wayne hour. He said they are wonderfully great kids but for about 6 years we haven’t had a true leader. He said this last week too. He is frustrated with the effort and intensity.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

A few years ago fisch was very critical of the kids and their effort on dakich so this isn't the first time under archie he has criticized them 
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Said we haven’t had a leader since Yogi. I think it’s more than the leader thing. I think that’s an easy way out and puts blame on players over coach. TJD is our leader. Maybe he’s not the best leader, idk, but Archie is actually the leader. I don’t think the players like or trust him. There are always bigger issues than meets the eye when teams are losing.

In closing, leadership is part of the problem, but blaming 20 yos for this isn’t fair to them at all. Archie recruits them, coaches them, subs them, peps them, picks the game plan and style, helps select the “leaders”. He is the leader.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Said we haven’t had a leader since Yogi. I think it’s more than the leader thing. I think that’s an easy way out and puts blame on players over coach. TJD is our leader. Maybe he’s not the best leader, idk, but Archie is actually the leader. I don’t think the players like or trust him. There are always bigger issues than meets the eye when teams are losing.

In closing, leadership is part of the problem, but blaming 20 yos for this isn’t fair to them at all. Archie recruits them, coaches them, subs them, peps them, picks the game plan and style, helps select the “leaders”. He is the leader.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Ok this makes more sense from Fish. He just rarely seems to be critical of the current coach. This does not seem as much of an indictment of Archie on Fish’s part even though I agree it is Archies job to  build this culture