Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

NOLA Hoosier

Game Thread: Rutgers Scarlet Knights @ Indiana (12PM ET on BTN)

31 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I remember when Mitch McGary tried talking trash and Cody put up 20 and 10 on him with some highlight put back jams. Any of ours guys now would fold and cry in a corner. 

TJD would be too busy daydreaming, like he was on the opening tip. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

I hesitate to give yogi the great leader title. Maybe as a senior but his sophomore and junior years the results were a bit like what we are seeing now right?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agreed.  I had doubts about Yogi then.  His senior year was phenomenal tho

I'm going to post this again, for the sole purpose of keeping it near the front of our little echo-chamber of IU basketball fandom. 

If I was a season ticket holder, would I feel bad about not getting to watch us lose at home to unranked Northwestern, unranked Purdue, and unranked Rutgers, along with needing overtime to beat unranked Penn State? Nope. Not a chance. I would almost certainly be taking up new hobbies to occupy the void in my life that not being able to attend the games presented to me. 

Now, looking ahead to next year. Would I feel excited about returning to games, knowing what we're getting with our current coach? Highly unlikely. I've found new interests during the pandemic, have saved a little money, and generally enjoy what I'm doing now instead of watching five straight years of bad basketball. 

I can't speak for every season ticket holder. Maybe some of them will move on, maybe others are dying to get back into Assembly Hall to watch Purdue spank us again. But I think the higher-ups will be surprised at how many empty seats we'll have next November if nothing changes. Younger fans weren't exactly lining up to get into games before the pandemic, and the older ones won't be around forever. 

I'm not sure anyone of importance at IU will ever see this post, but I think we need to get more people to grasp this mindset. 

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I hesitate to give yogi the great leader title. Maybe as a senior but his sophomore and junior years the results were a bit like what we are seeing now right?

Trying to get into a bar with a fake ID when he was one of the most recognizable people in Bloomington wasn't one of his better moments. But the phrase, "It's Yogi...it's three...GOT 'EM ALL!" will always bring a smile to my face. 

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

TJD would be too busy daydreaming, like he was on the opening tip. 

I saw a replay of that, TJD was trying to tell Rob or Al something and the ref just decided to toss the ball at that point.

58 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I'd take his Junior year over what we have now. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

The question wasn't what our record was, the question was what players were alpha dogs who hated to lose. The team's struggles didn't make Yogi any less of an alpha dog. I remember his sophomore year you could just sense his frustration that the team wasn't where they should've been. 

Also, I'd submit that Yogi's junior year team (2014-2015) was underrated. They were never gonna be FF contenders (which I know is all some folks care about), but game in game out I loved watching that team play. They at least made *something* out of a season that could've been completely derailed by off-court issues.

Calling names and trashing kids or coaches is uncalled for, it's a freaking game after all.  Criticizing their decisions and play is fair game.  These kids have the chance to be absolute legends if they want it and work for it.  Armaan is one of the few who has chosen to put in work.  Regardless, this team needs a leader.

47 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

Also, I'd submit that Yogi's junior year team (2014-2015) was underrated. They were never gonna be FF contenders (which I know is all some folks care about), but game in game out I loved watching that team play. They at least made *something* out of a season that could've been completely derailed by off-court issues.

Underrated may not be the best choice of words, but I get what you're saying. That team could be frustrating, but watching them felt like a lot less of a chore compared to the group we have now. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm going to post this again, for the sole purpose of keeping it near the front of our little echo-chamber of IU basketball fandom. 

If I was a season ticket holder, would I feel bad about not getting to watch us lose at home to unranked Northwestern, unranked Purdue, and unranked Rutgers, along with needing overtime to beat unranked Penn State? Nope. Not a chance. I would almost certainly be taking up new hobbies to occupy the void in my life that not being able to attend the games presented to me. 

Now, looking ahead to next year. Would I feel excited about returning to games, knowing what we're getting with our current coach? Highly unlikely. I've found new interests during the pandemic, have saved a little money, and generally enjoy what I'm doing now instead of watching five straight years of bad basketball. 

I can't speak for every season ticket holder. Maybe some of them will move on, maybe others are dying to get back into Assembly Hall to watch Purdue spank us again. But I think the higher-ups will be surprised at how many empty seats we'll have next November if nothing changes. Younger fans weren't exactly lining up to get into games before the pandemic, and the older ones won't be around forever. 

I'm not sure anyone of importance at IU will ever see this post, but I think we need to get more people to grasp this mindset. 

Been to one IU game since Archie became coach and that was in Indy. Also quit going to HH. The product is going to have to get much better before I return to Btown.

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Like clockwork...a bad loss and suddenly we have the worst, meanest fans on the planet. 

Nothing annoys me more than comments like that. We’ve made 4 tournaments since 2008. Our crazy fanbase is the only thing keeping IU from being another ordinary State U program. If fans are taking inappropriate shots below the belt then that’s one thing, but don’t expect fans to be happy with the players when they consistently play with piss poor effort. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing annoys me more than comments like that. We’ve made 4 tournaments since 2008. Our crazy fanbase is the only thing keeping IU from being another ordinary State U program. If fans are taking inappropriate shots below the belt then that’s one thing, but don’t expect fans to be happy with the players when they consistently play with piss poor effort. 

I believe she was referring to the below the belt shots that are being sent directly to the players from fans. I looked at her page, and that topic has been brought up a few times. Why dm a player, why? Smh!

53 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Underrated may not be the best choice of words, but I get what you're saying. That team could be frustrating, but watching them felt like a lot less of a chore compared to the group we have now. 

"Underappreciated" I guess would be more accurate. Not underrated from a rankings standpoint but underrated in our collective memories. They weren't destined for greatness but they were night and day from the previous year, and night and day from the garbage we're seeing nowadays.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Like clockwork...a bad loss and suddenly we have the worst, meanest fans on the planet. 

I think what she said could be said from any parent in any program.  The internet has people a forum to vent in some pretty vicious ways.  I don't see anything wrong with what she said.  If I were a parent of a player and fans were being completely inappropriate (i.e., Peegs level stupid), it'd be tough.  I find what she said more appropriate than some things that have been said about players and certainly find her post more appropriate than the parents of some previous parents of players who have went online and stated their son should be getting minutes over another player.