Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

NOLA Hoosier

Game Thread: Rutgers Scarlet Knights @ Indiana (12PM ET on BTN)

7 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Nah man. No single player, into it or out of it, decided this. You couldn’t stop dribble penetration on the perimeter, were late rotating all game, forgot, yes forgot, Gio Baker on several defensive plays, and turned it over 9 times in the second half. Look no further than that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You best player not checked in absolutely does. No post presence over complicated things for the guards, which our guards don’t need any help in complicating things. 

2 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Yes several half performances this year, but today all game. And it’s the same MO every game he does this, either too soft or wayyyy to hard at the rim, lazy passes, back to the basket is no existent, no fight on rebounding, at least 1 over the back call on him..... I just don’t get it!

He is without question the most important player on the team. So that tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the state of IU basketball right now. Best player inexplicably goes MIA every 5th game, all the perimeter players forget to play D and IU loses a must win home game against a lower level conference team on a 5 game losing streak. So discouraging.  

You best player not checked in absolutely does. No post presence over complicated things for the guards, which our guards don’t need any help in complicating things. 

Sure. We just gave up 74 to a team that struggled to hit 60 in 6 straight games. We were raped, smoked, torn, gutted, splattered, by dribble penetration in the perimeter one on one game. Who’s that “complicate” things for? So TJD takes the blame today because the Rutgers guards spent more time in the lane than he did. Ok I’m with ya here. 9 second half turnovers., because it was “complicated” by the lack of a post player....cool, let’s go with that. I’m good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Serious question here..
Who is the leader of this team?
We have really nice players. Nice as in friendly, good young men. I know some of you don’t like it but there is zero alpha dogs on this ******* team. There hasn’t been many in the program over the years.

Who hates to lose on this team? I don’t give a **** about words. Who shows in their play and emotions they ******* hate losing?

You want a winning team recruit players that hate to lose. You want inconsistent play recruit nice players. When was the last time an IU player raised the play of his teammates?

It’s been too long since we’ve had players who hate to lose.

Btw, not surprised to see Lander hitting some shots. Again, I don’t pass by there often but have seen Lander coming out of Cook Hall by himself a few times.

16 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Serious question here..
We have really nice players. Nice as in friendly, good young men. I know some of you don’t like it but there is zero alpha dogs on this ******* team. There hasn’t been many in the program over the years.

Who hates to lose on this team? I don’t give a **** about words. Who shows in their play and emotions they ******* hate losing?

You want a winning team recruit players that hate to lose. You want inconsistent play recruit nice players. When was the last time an IU player raised the play of his teammates?

Btw, not surprised to see Lander hitting some shots. Again, I don’t pass by there often but have seen Lander coming out of Cook Hall by himself a few times.

When I think of this team -- and the lack of leadership and seemingly lack of a hate-to-lose attitude to which you're referring -- I'm always reminded of the 1984 NBA Finals, when the Lakers crushed the Celtics early in the series. Larry Bird said, "We've got some great players on this team. But we don't have the players with the heart sometimes that we need. Today, when you see Magic slappin' high-fives and guys going behind their backs and shooting layups on us all day long, it seems like somebody would put a stop to it. Until we get our hearts where they belong, we're in trouble." ... The Celtics then kicked a little a-- and won the series. 

This team has some pretty good players, but we have no heart. PU and Rutgers just did what they wanted -- and nobody stepped up and put a stop to it. It's disheartening (pun intended). I'm sure they're not happy today, but it just seems as if losing doesn't really bother team all that much. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Serious question here..

We haven't had a genuine article, dyed-in-the-wool alpha dog since Yogi. Juwan was close. Since he graduated? Nothing.

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

We are soft and always have been under Archie. I wasn’t big on the Archie hire , but I thought at least the kids will play hard every game, and that was what I liked about him.

Completely agreed.  It's crazy to think we don't have a player on the roster as pissed after a loss as Archie.  They're not even in the same stadium.  They seem to be perfectly happy being decent, getting their @$$ handed to them, and then going off to their apartments for some games or whatever.  It's crazy that in year 4 you have to wonder if they'll care to show up for a game. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Serious question here..

That's why I harped on the decision to have a captain committee; everyone gets to be the man without having any of those pesky responsibilities. No one has to take the wrath if the team is sluggish or sloppy. No one has to be bugged by Archie to pick the team up.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Completely agreed.  It's crazy to think we don't have a player on the roster as pissed after a loss as Archie.  They're not even in the same stadium.  They seem to be perfectly happy being decent, getting their @$$ handed to them, and then going off to their apartments for some games or whatever.  It's crazy that in year 4 you have to wonder if they'll care to show up for a game. 

Well when PT is determined by something other than performance it’s bound to happen.  Geronimo played great and was rewarded with the bench. 

Agree, there is no alpha on this team. It's Franklin, a whole team of bench players, and a fringe All Big Ten TJD who lacks motivation randomly and is a 1 dimensional big man at this point. Shoot a freaking 8 foot jump shot dude, it's not going to be blocked. 

And there seems to be no help coming other than Lander settling in. IU's ceiling with Archie is 4th or 5th in conference and bubble talk every year. IU has been spinning its wheels, going no where for 3 years now. Same season x3. Archie and IU aren't a good fit. I was really buying it at the change of the guard too. Turns out it's just a recipe for middle of the pack basketball.

I'd pay illegal money to get Yogi back in an IU uniform. 5'11 ALPHA

Heading off topic but here's my $.02 worth.  I've watched as many games of our current offerees as possible.  Some only a single game and others multiple games.  A number of our offerees aren't even going to have a high school season because of COVID and it remains to be seen if there will be a 2021 AAU season.  From the kids I've been able to watch I don't see that alpha male.  Some good talent but not that bulldog mentality like a Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, Isiah, and many others we've had over the years.   Here's the kids I've seen play this season and I don't see an alpha male in any of them:

• Logan Duncomb
  • C. J. Gunn
  • Jalen Hood-Schifino
  • Justice Williams 
  • Tyler Nickel
  • Shawn Phillips
  • Tarris Reed
  • Rodney Rice
  • Jalen Washington

For Gunn, Hood-Schifino and Williams, they're on powerhouse teams dominated by seniors.  Will they become the alpha male next year when they're a senior?   Shawn Phillips plays behind Emoni Bates who's the clear alpha on that team.

56 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Serious question here..

Havent had a leader since Yogi.

We don’t have a single player that other teams hate playing against. We've got a bunch of soft players who other teams know they can punk. It’s great that Archie is recruiting high character kids but you can be a nice guy off the court and a dog on it. 

Agree, there is no alpha on this team. It's Franklin, a whole team of bench players, and a fringe All Big Ten TJD who lacks motivation randomly and is a 1 dimensional big man at this point. Shoot a freaking 8 foot jump shot dude, it's not going to be blocked. 
And there seems to be no help coming other than Lander settling in. IU's ceiling with Archie is 4th or 5th in conference and bubble talk every year. IU has been spinning its wheels, going no where for 3 years now. Same season x3. Archie and IU aren't a good fit. I was really buying it at the change of the guard too. Turns out it's just a recipe for middle of the pack basketball.
I'd pay illegal money to get Yogi back in an IU uniform. 5'11 ALPHA
He has shot a 8 foot jump shot a couple games ago it barely caught the backboard no rim

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

So now we can final hit from 3....and it doesn’t matter.

Right?  We've been hearing from Archie pumpers that we're only losing because we're not making shots.  Well today we made them and still lost to Rutgers for the 4th time out of the last 5 meetings.

Enough with the excuses.  Fire him

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We don’t have a single player that other teams hate playing against. We've got a bunch of soft players who other teams know they can punk. It’s great that Archie is recruiting high character kids but you can be a nice guy off the court and a dog on it. 

We don't have Yogi, Hulls, Oladipo or Zeller... Those 4 played on 1 team and that team was #1 in the nation more than anyone else. Yogi wasn't at that point of leadership then, but it was in him and he learned from the guys above him. 

I remember when Mitch McGary tried talking trash and Cody put up 20 and 10 on him with some highlight put back jams. Any of ours guys now would fold and cry in a corner.