Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Four years ago I was wary of Mack for the same reason as Archie: I thought some nice tournament performances were propping up some middling results otherwise. I think Mack’s work at UL has proven I was wrong there.

I continue to be surprised how many are dismissive of Fife’s candidacy. Whether you think he’d be good or not, he checks a lot of the boxes we would imagine those making the hiring decision will look at. Where do y’all think head coaches come from? Except the very rare, they were all assistants

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Four years ago I was wary of Mack for the same reason as Archie: I thought some nice tournament performances were propping up some middling results otherwise. I think Mack’s work at UL has proven I was wrong there.

I continue to be surprised how many are dismissive of Fife’s candidacy. Whether you think he’d be good or not, he checks a lot of the boxes we would imagine those making the hiring decision will look at. Where do y’all think head coaches come from? Except the very rare, they were all assistants

Coaches at power schools were obviously almost all assistants at one point.  But more often than not, their first gig wasn't at a blue blood school.

For me absent a Stevens no way miracle?

1. Enfield. 1A Mack
  2. Gates

3. Drew cause something about him and his brother bug the crap out of me.

4. Fife

*drops pages another million miles*

• Beilein

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

1. Enfield. 1A Mack
  2. Gates

4. Fife

• Beilein

I’m gonna take a walk. 

We’re ******

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1. Enfield. 1A Mack
  2. Gates

4. Fife

• Beilein

Bill Gates?  Sample Gates?  Who is Gates?

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Coaches at power schools were obviously almost all assistants at one point.  But more often than not, their first gig wasn't at a blue blood school.

This wouldn’t be Fife’s first gig, and he did better than he had any right at IPFW.

I guess if (like me) you’re somewhat skeptical of the really big fish, if you think Drew and Mack and maybe even Enfield would listen but are inclined to stay put if they get raises, then you’re looking at the other names on the list @Chris007 posted, and among those there’s no sure thing.

So you call Stevens, you do your diligence with the Drew/Enfield/Mack tier, you check on the retirees, you interview the youth candidates...does anyone doubt Fife would interview pretty well? Gates and Shrewsberry too.

The pessimism about the younger coaches is unwarranted. It’s not like Butler hired Brad Stevens away from the Lakers.

Coaching is a lot of work, but it isn’t brain surgery

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’ve heard that Chris Mack has told IU he would listen. Anyone interested?

Isn't there a family connection with his wife and northern Kentucky/Louisville?  I vaguely remember that coming up when he left X. 

With that said, Mack would immediately climb to my top tier especially in a year with college free agency - his staff has historically crushed the transfer market and could make an immediate impact in B'ton.

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

This wouldn’t be Fife’s first gig, and he did better than he had any right at IPFW.

I guess if (like me) you’re somewhat skeptical of the really big fish, if you think Drew and Mack and maybe even Enfield would listen but are inclined to stay put if they get raises, then you’re looking at the other names on the list @Chris007 posted, and among those there’s no sure thing.

So you call Stevens, you do your diligence with the Drew/Enfield/Mack tier, you check on the retirees, you interview the youth candidates...does anyone doubt Fife would interview pretty well? Gates and Shrewsberry too.

The pessimism about the younger coaches is unwarranted. It’s not like Butler hired Brad Stevens away from the Lakers.

Coaching is a lot of work, but it isn’t brain surgery

Also I love how Dolson is reaching out on all these & just gathering as much information as possible, then decide which way to go.