Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Nobody will be happy unless IU hires Brad Stevens. Hard to believe Enfield is going to excite anyone.

Not true. Brad Stevens ain’t comin’ and I’m not losing any sleep over it. If I’m wrong, good. But I’d be happy about a lot of guys and, unless Dolson is introducing Will Wade or someone like that, I’m going to be interested by a new era.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m not at all. He doesn’t check any of the boxes. He’s not young, and he doesn’t have a track record of success. He’s been a head coach since 2011. He’s made it to one sweet 16. He’s made it past the first round one other time. He’s never won his conference. If we hire him it’s a crystal clear sign that we are no longer a serious basketball program. I’d rather hire Alford or Fife and those two are at the bottom of my list. 

How young do you want? He is 51. He took 2 years to build at USC and has won 20+ 6 of the last 6 seasons. He had the same problem as Alford in that Arizona cheats their arses off and win the PAC12. I think he is on par with Alford. Neither would be my first choice, but both are an upgrade to Archie. 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Give me, DANE FIFE! I’ll take Dane over any no name coach. 

Dane is a no name coach

enfield for example has coached 9 seasons of college basketball and his teams have improved in 8 of the 9, not to mention his many years on the bench in the nba

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

How young do you want? He is 51. He took 2 years to build at USC and has won 20+ 6 of the last 6 seasons. He had the same problem as Alford in that Arizona cheats their arses off and win the PAC12. I think he is on par with Alford. Neither would be my first choice, but both are an upgrade to Archie. 

He’d be 52 at the start of next season. The age itself isn’t really the issue for me. I’d be perfectly fine hiring a coach in his 50s. It’s his age combined with his meh resume. If we’re hiring a coach in his 50s then I want someone with some success under his belt. I want a guy with some deep tournament runs. I want a guy who has won his conference. I don’t want a 52 year old coach who has made it past the second round once. I’m pretty underwhelmed by Alford’s resume but it looks pretty good when you compare it to Enfield’s.  add in the fact that he’s an IU legend who played for Coach Knight and he’d be a much better pick, imo.

I would not be excited about a guy who has coached 9 seasons and never won his conference regular season championship and missed the tournament 5 out of 9 seasons. Plus has been to the sweet 16 1 time.

Give me fife at least he makes some sense and has connections to IU, BIG, and Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Dane is a no name coach

enfield for example has coached 9 seasons of college basketball and his teams have improved in 8 of the 9, not to mention his many years on the bench in the nba

He spent four years in the NBA as a shooting coach... That’s not really “many years on the bench in the nba.” If we wanted to bring him in as a shooting coach I’d be all for it, but not as the head honcho.

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I wonder if Alford wasn’t the one who planted Enfield’s name in Dolson’s mind. He knows he’s never getting the IU job. He and Dolson are boys. He coached against Enfield for several years and in the same city, no less. If he thinks highly of the guy and thinks he’s a fit temperamentally for the IU fishbowl.....
Probably not, but it makes a fun little conspiracy theory.

Truly don't get the Fife love. 
If he didn't go to IU, no one would want him let alone know who he is. 

Look Nobody is saying Fife is their top choice. Or that he will succeed here.

But he did go to IU. You think Michigan would have went after Howard if he didn’t go to Michigan? You think Purdue goes after painter and brings him in as a coach in waiting if he didn’t go to Purdue?

I am by no means saying IU should go after him. He is down my list. But IMO it’s quite obvious why he is getting talked about and why IU would go after him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’d be 52 at the start of next season. The age itself isn’t really the issue for me. I’d be perfectly fine hiring a coach in his 50s. It’s his age combined with his meh resume. If we’re hiring a coach in his 50s then I want someone with some success under his belt. I want a guy with some deep tournament runs. I want a guy who has won his conference. I don’t want a 52 year old coach who has made it past the second round once. I’m pretty underwhelmed by Alford’s resume but it looks pretty good when you compare it to Enfield’s.  add in the fact that he’s an IU legend who played for Coach Knight and he’d be a much better pick, imo.

Maybe that’s why Enfield was contacted. So fans will love the idea of Alford! :)