Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Could you look into the strength of schedule for the years he arrived and maybe in comparison? I’ll dig into it Monday I suppose. 

Trying to avoid too much depression today I suppose. At least it’s beautiful here in Bloomington! 

This is just for USC time.

2020-53

2019-66

2018-76

2017-70

2016-61

2015-51

2014-86

2013-81

2012-42

2011-86

In comparison IU has been top 30 most of these years.

I’m open to an Andy Enfield and I would hope most would be. You never know how someone is going to perform when they get here.

holtmann at OSU, Howard at Michigan, Underwood at Illinois all looked like ok to somewhat underwhelming hires and all are thriving in the right environment 

there are a lot of coaches that could succeed and they all may not be as obvious as a Brad Stevens

1 minute ago, Hoosier1984 said:

This is just for USC time.

2020-53

2019-66

2018-76

2017-70

2016-61

2015-51

2014-86

2013-81

2012-42

2011-86

In comparison IU has been top 30 most of these years.

Thank you! 

Looking at Twitter it looks like USC fans want this guy fired? After a good season by the looks of it? 

Imagine the fans here. LOL! 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Sure. 

But a no name hire.. there goes the fan base. 

This is not a defense of Enfield at all but: the overwhelming consensus is

-we need a change, and

-we want to win in an honorable way.

Everyone commenting here has opinions on who gives us the best chance to do the latter, but there are LOTS of candidates who might succeed at a high level given the resources at IU.

I’ve been critical of the process that led IU to pick Archie. I still think a mid-major coach could make the leap and succeed. Enfield fits something like the Holtmann mold, Fife fits a version of the Scott Drew/Matt Painter mold...the key is getting it right and winning games, not winning the press conference.

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

This is not a defense of Enfield at all but: the overwhelming consensus is

-we need a change, and

-we want to win in an honorable way.

Everyone commenting here has opinions on who gives us the best chance to do the latter, but there are LOTS of candidates who might succeed at a high level given the resources at IU.

I’ve been critical of the process that led IU to pick Archie. I still think a mid-major coach could make the leap and succeed. Enfield fits something like the Holtmann mold, Fife fits a version of the Scott Drew/Matt Painter mold...the key is getting it right and winning games, not winning the press conference.

Yeah, I couldn’t care less about optics and how people and the media react to the hire, I want to see wins.

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

I guess my big picture point is if IU’s next coach beats Purdue at least once next year, plays on Saturday in the conference tournament, earns a 4-6 seed and the team looks good in the tournament, we’ll be pretty optimistic even if it wasn’t our first choice hire.

I don’t understand the comments about quitting IU or whatever if they don’t get a hire they like. How do they know until the coach actually coaches and we see the product?

I don’t think many would have thought Archie’s teams would be this bad, this undisciplined, this soft, can’t do the basics after 4 years? I think some hires can be underwhelming on the surface but amazing in reality like some of the other recent Bigten hires

Regarding Enfield, I watched one, yes one, USC (PAC 12 game too) game this season so this doesn’t mean squat but USC couldn’t miss in that game and I think hat 48 points at half. I just remember wishing IU could shoot like that

Not an endorsement of anyone, just an observation

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

46 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’m open to an Andy Enfield and I would hope most would be. You never know how someone is going to perform when they get here.

holtmann at OSU, Howard at Michigan, Underwood at Illinois all looked like ok to somewhat underwhelming hires and all are thriving in the right environment 

there are a lot of coaches that could succeed and they all may not be as obvious as a Brad Stevens

I’m not at all. He doesn’t check any of the boxes. He’s not young, and he doesn’t have a track record of success. He’s been a head coach since 2011. He’s made it to one sweet 16. He’s made it past the first round one other time. He’s never won his conference. If we hire him it’s a crystal clear sign that we are no longer a serious basketball program. I’d rather hire Alford or Fife and those two are at the bottom of my list. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierfan84 said:

“Checking boxes” bought us Archie. Maybe we need to go old school and pencil in the circles the next time. 

You still need some standards. The only thing Enfield has going for him is that his name isn’t Archie Miller. He’s entirely unremarkable as a coach. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You still need some standards. The only thing Enfield has going for him is that his name isn’t Archie Miller. He’s entirely unremarkable as a coach. 

Other than his years in the NBA, his ability to turn around the only two college programs he’s coached at

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Other than his years in the NBA, his ability to turn around the only two college programs he’s coached at

What about this is appealing to you? He’s been at a P5 school since 2013 and has made two tournaments and won 1 tournament game. You think he’s gonna be the one to get us competing for conference titles and making deep tournament runs? His “years in the NBA” were four years as a shooting coach. If we’re worried about the boosters not paying the buyout, they’ll laugh him off the phone if he tells them he needs millions to hire this guy. 

F434E544-AC61-45BB-9702-883E6A16C228.thumb.png.20deaeac3d86110299ce876b247fbf2a.png

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Oh, my quote was not a vote for Enfield. It was tongue in cheek humor. lol