Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes had a few beers with his parents on spring break in Florida during Kyle's junior or senior year of high school. They said they did one in-home visit with Crean and he rubbed them the wrong way. Just felt like they were dealing with a used car salesman. I remember his mom saying she felt like she needed to clean the house after Crean left. 

Perfect analogy for CTC. That's what Mussleman at Arkansas is as well -- a used cars salesman! 

Yes had a few beers with his parents on spring break in Florida during Kyle's junior or senior year of high school. They said they did one in-home visit with Crean and he rubbed them the wrong way. Just felt like they were dealing with a used car salesman. I remember his mom saying she felt like she needed to clean the house after Crean left. 

“Kyle I’ve been thinking a lot about what kind of car you’d look good in. Been thinking about it a whole lot...”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Yeah, he would’ve been my preferred Miller at the time based on recruiting. I was wrong and we really dodged one. IU would’ve gone Sampson 2.0

The Sean Miller stuff admittedly soured the Archie hire a bit early on for me. With our desire to run a clean program and do things right, we had just hired the guy and then all this stuff comes out about his brother. I know not all brothers are alike, but still puts the thought out there.  

For the record, I do like Archie, just didn't like how that played out.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Watching Baylor last night, Drew would be fine but there is nothing sexy about that hire. It's meh ok.

Very boring hire indeed. He'll get us back to the dance, yay but.. I wouldn't expect anything too much in March from him. 

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Watching Baylor last night, Drew would be fine but there is nothing sexy about that hire. It's meh ok.

What would have made you think it was a sexy hire after watching one game?  I don't think he is top tier at all but his chance of success here seems so much higher than the lower tier guys who would not be sexy either.  Actually, isnt there really only a small handful of coaches that fit that sexy hire label?

Just now, 8bucks said:

What would have made you think it was a sexy hire after watching one game?  I don't think he is top tier at all but he chance of success here seems so much higher than the lower tier guys who would not be sexy either.  Actually, isnt there really only a small handful of coaches that fit that sexy hire label?

Because I can see things others can't. I have a special gift for recognizing coaching traits that no one else has. I should probably start one of the coaching search firms because I'm so good. But to really answer your question, it was the only time I've had nothing going on and they were on TV. No real reason why

I hate saying this but I’ve never been more uncomfortable getting prepared for an IU-Purdue game. I cannot cheer for us to lose. But would a loss help expedite the moving-on process? It’s just a really uncomfortable situation...

I just want us to succeed as soon as possible. And I don’t know if that means a win or loss tomorrow. It’s an unshakable feeling 

Seeing someone mention Sean above made me remember that when Archie was hired i wondered if perhaps he might follow his brothers approach to some extent.  I know our admin is not likely to go this route but still it made me wonder if perhaps we were going to follow the crowd a little more and get more active.  Then it seemed just after he is announced the whole scandal thing broke and if that had been part of the plan, poof it was gone.

That would not explain poor free throw shooting, lowest quartile for 3 point attempts and his calling card Defense being so meh. 

3 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

I’m good with Nate Oats and whether or not the buyout is too large for Dolson for today’s discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'll bite. 

We're talking a $10.35 million buy-out for Archie, which is a lot of money but could be less if he gets a job the next couple years. It could be less if Archie resigns and leaves some money on the table.

Nate Oats just accepted a new deal. His new deal includes a huge buy-out for next season and the following year. His buy-out next season is $12.5 million dollars. If he were bought out after March 14th of this month, it would be $7 million. However I'm unsure when the new deal kicks in so it could actually be way more than $7million.

Bottom line --- If Nate Oats is our next coach, we're going to need around $20million dollars plus. Archie's contract, the buy-out for Nate and the new contract for Nate. That goes for this off-season and next off-season in my very basic math sense. 

Just now, mamasa said:

If it was me, I'd take the firing + buyout in a heartbeat. It's not like his next job won't know exactly what happened at IU. Firing vs resigning is about the same thing for a failing coach. 

I totally agree with this