Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

I would not complain, although I think Brad Stevens is a better coach and the perfect fit for Indiana. Bennett is tremendous as well and we’d be lucky to have him. Still get pissed when I think about Kyle Guy not wearing candy stripes. 

If memory serves, his grandparents are IU alums and season-ticket holders. And he wanted to go to IU, but he didn't like Crean. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

If memory serves, his grandparents are IU alums and season-ticket holders. And he wanted to go to IU, but he didn't like Crean. 

Shame. Missed opportunity for a homegrown legend. He made the better choice though. Obviously. 

We have a better chance of seeing Stevens take the job than Bennett. Mostly because you'd have to add $18M (believe that's the #) buyout on top of everything else.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Bennett's past 8 seasons:
30-7
30-4
29-8
23-11
31-3
35-3
23-7 
16-6 (this season)

Yep, pretty boring stuff ... But those results are the opposite of IU basketball recently.

Yes he wins. But when I think of Indiana basketball, I think about games getting up and down the court and scoring in bunches. Not becoming the world's slowest organism. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yes he wins. But when I think of Indiana basketball, I think about games getting up and down the court and scoring in bunches. Not becoming the world's slowest organism. 

I find winning fun to watch, if they're winning I don't care if they average 50 points a game or 80.

I think the real news broke when IU declined to host the opening round in the NIT and instead played on the road.  I'm not sure why IU decided to play in the NIT when they knew they weren't going to retain Crean.  Would have made more sense to fire Crean and then play with an interim coach.  Nothing good was going to come of a lame duck coach coaching an NIT game.

Iu has just quit hosting nit games in general. We made up a excuse Archie's 1 or 2? times he was in as well not to host.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Greg McDermott may end up being on the market

So might Sean Miller...lol

52 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Funny cause he was on posters list last time. Most wanted to pass cause he had talent but never won it all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, he would’ve been my preferred Miller at the time based on recruiting. I was wrong and we really dodged one. IU would’ve gone Sampson 2.0

Another reason Tony Bennett can most likely be taken off of everyone's list. He was offered more $ when he signed his latest extension and turned it down to instead reinvest it into the basketball program i.e facilities, assistants pay, recruiting etc. I mean that's essentially his $ that he's investing into the school's basketball program. Doesn't scream "I'm potentially available".

When I wrote that I'd rather have Tony Bennett than Brad Stevens (and admitted I probably was one of the only ones to think that way), I was just expressing my "ideal world" hypothetical.

And I should have added this: I know there's 0 percent chance of Bennett coming. He said no when we hired Crean. Whether he was POed at us for his sister's tenure or he didn't want the "fishbowl" existence of coaching at IU, only he would know for sure. Probably a little of both. 

P.S. Obviously, anybody is free to respond. But if you don't like Bennett or his style, that's fine. You're not gonna change my mind. I've just seen a handful of posts saying that Bennett isn't a realistic candidate. Yes, I realize that. Again -- I was just saying that if I had my choice of anybody to coach IU, he'd be my No. 1 selection, even over Stevens. 

Hope everyone has a nice day. 

5 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

All that matters is winning! With our crap results over the years who cares what it looks like! Geez!

9 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

All that matters is winning! With our crap results over the years who cares what it looks like! Geez!

That sort of thinking will get us in trouble with the wrong hire though. We can't settle -- we can't make a lateral move. We can't hire a coach who has peaked already.

Not saying Bennett has peaked, he's not coming to Indiana we all knew that after 2008.