Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

Do we like Dana Altman at all? I could be a bit skewed right now since I took some action on the Ducks when they were down 9 and +390 to win last night, and I hit the over. 

You didn't see my post from yesterday?!

Scott Dolson: "Hello, It's Scott again. I'm once again asking for your donation to the IU Athletics department of $1million dollars to hire our next head men's basketball coach, Dana Altman!

Donor: "  WHO?!?"

Donor: *HANGS UP*

That's how we feel about Dana, good sir.  

Just now, Treesh said:

You didn't see my post from yesterday?!

Scott Dolson: "Hello, It's Scott again. I'm once again asking for your donation to the IU Athletics department of $1million dollars to hire our next head men's basketball coach, Dana Altman!

Donor: "  WHO?!?"

Donor: *HANGS UP*

That's how we feel about Dana, good sir.  

Hah, I do remember this now. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

A week ago I had seven guys listed as realistic (not a crazy dream) possibilities at Indiana (Alford, Beilein, Fife, Matta, Musselman, Oats, and Stevens). Base on your info it sounds like no to Alford, Beilein, Matta, and Oats. Stevens would have to be convinced and need some $$$ but could happen in the right situation. Is there anyone else that I am missing? I don't think guys like Billy Donovan, Tony Bennett, Chris Beard, or Jay Wright would leave their current places for IU. 

My info is only as good as the people giving it to me. So I wouldn't count anyone out because I say so. I do think it could be someone we haven't mentioned but just not sure who it would be. 

If we’re just throwing candidates out there Chauncey Billups? Could be the next Juwan Howard. Interviewed for a couple of NBA head coaching jobs last year. Everyone knows who he is. Assistant for the Clippers right now. No Indiana ties so it’d be a real out of left field candidate. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan0302 said:

A lot of people say Stevens will never come back to college because he doesn’t enjoy recruiting . I’m sure it’s not easy dealing with superstar egos daily & trying to get them to buy in as a team . If there is a change in head coach we might just find out what Stevens likes less .

Stevens himself has denied that he hated recruiting.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Maybe Stevens doesn't like coaching 82 games plus playoffs when here he could do 30 plus the tournaments.

Definitely a big trade off. Lot of people say coaches enjoy the NBA off season and not having to deal with recruiting, but reality is they're playing a ton more games per year. 

1 minute ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Definitely a big trade off. Lot of people say coaches enjoy the NBA off season and not having to deal with recruiting, but reality is they're playing a ton more games per year. 

I thought about that the other night they said Rob had just played his 82 game in his career and my son said that's just one NBA season, he's been at IU for 3 years

I thought about that the other night they said Rob had just played his 82 game in his career and my son said that's just one NBA season, he's been at IU for 3 years

I met a friend of Steven’s a few years back. She and her husband had dinner with him a month prior to when I met her. I think he had been in the NBA only 2 years and she said that one of big attractions was having the summers off. He told he he would know after a few years how that compared to the grind of the season.

It was a one time meeting as we were flying down for the FF and I never saw her again to get feedback

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I met a friend of Steven’s a few years back. She and her husband had dinner with him a month prior to when I met her. I think he had been in the NBA only 2 years and she said that one of big attractions was having the summers off. He told he he would know after a few years how that compared to the grind of the season.

It was a one time meeting as we were flying down for the FF and I never saw her again to get feedback

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

We need to track this lady down, see if we can get an update. Maybe she has social media like Facebook. If she has a plane we can meet her at the Monroe County airport for updates. 

Brad Stevens is recognized as a good NBA coach. Even were the Celtics to let him go he would have no trouble landing another NBA job. Larry Brown went back and forth between college and NBA coaching. But he never stayed in college long. It is a matter of personal preference. If Brad Stevens' family doesn't like the idea of getting on the NBA coaching carousel, he might be persuaded to returning to college coaching if it looked like a more stable lifestyle. But is taking an Indiana coaching job stable? Personally, I doubt Stevens is a realistic possibility.

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Brad Stevens is recognized as a good NBA coach. Even were the Celtics to let him go he would have no trouble landing another NBA job. Larry Brown went back and forth between college and NBA coaching. But he never stayed in college long. It is a matter of personal preference. If Brad Stevens' family doesn't like the idea of getting on the NBA coaching carousel, he might be persuaded to returning to college coaching if it looked like a more stable lifestyle. But is taking an Indiana coaching job stable? Personally, I doubt Stevens is a realistic possibility.

Would you want to coach Oklahoma City, Sacramento, Minnesota, Orlando or Detroit? Come on no NBA coaches want those jobs. IU is better than that

Chris 007 said--" IU is better than that"

_____

IU 'used to be' better than that. Few outside of Indiana would agree with that statement today. IU's reputation in basketball is the worst since before Bobby Knight. Good coaches--better than the ones whom IU has been able to attract in recent times--have taken jobs in all of those cities.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Would you want to coach Oklahoma City, Sacramento, Minnesota, Orlando or Detroit? Come on no NBA coaches want those jobs. IU is better than that

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. 

Each of those cities have fantastic places to live and socialize. Three of them have good/great weather. All of them allow for a coach and his family to go out in public without being stared at.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. 

Each of those cities have fantastic places to live and socialize. Three of them have good/great weather. All of them allow for a coach and his family to go out in public without being stared at.

You're not helping matters

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Chris 007 said--" IU is better than that"

_____

IU 'used to be' better than that. Few outside of Indiana would agree with that statement today. IU's reputation in basketball is the worst since before Bobby Knight. Good coaches--better than the ones whom IU has been able to attract in recent times--have taken jobs in all of those cities.

I read an article from a news site in Texas.  It talked about Drew and Beard and said if IU called they should go.  Said our rightful place is with Duke, UNC, pUKE.

That author seems to think more of our program than some of our fans.