Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Lol.  This time it won't be me!
Last time I could see that Archie ran a garbage offense with no spacing.  He was the only one I absolutely did not want.  This time I don't have one of those (yet).  Maybe it's because I'm overjoyed to be moving on or maybe it's because I haven't seen a name i hate yet, but I'm just a happy Hoosier fan right now.
IF he goes

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Reasons to leave the Celtics 

1 - The Boston Celtics have zero cap flexibility to make roster improvements due to Kemba, Tatum, and Brown contracts. That's not changing for two more years at minimum.

2 - Tatum and Brown will likely seek a trade sooner than later.

3 - Other NBA jobs will open but do you want to coach the Sacremento Kings or Atlanta Hawks? no

4 - you've been there for years and haven't made a finals with no help in sight. it's a wrap

The Celtics have the largest trade exception in NBA history at $28.5 million. They’ve also made it to 3 ECF in the past 4 years. They’re a lot closer to making the Finals than IU is to making a final four.

Boston is a top 3 head coaching job in the NBA. You don’t just walk away from that. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The Celtics have the largest trade exception in NBA history at $28.5 million. They’ve also made it to 3 ECF in the past 4 years. They’re a lot closer to making the Finals than IU is to making a final four.

Boston is a top 3 head coaching job in the NBA. You don’t just walk away from that. 

LOL! They won't do anything with that trade expectation as they can only use it via trade on a huge contract. Landing Andre Drummond isn't going to help them. He can't really use the entire amount unless they send money out which means they are losing *talent*. Maybe they take in a bad contract next year? Russell Westbrook? LOL!

Boston Celtics are about world championships, not about ECF appearances.  

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your killing my buzz too

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I'm not sold on Scott.

Yeah he's more realistic than Brad Stevens and a couple others. But he's been there for 14 years and has been to the Elite 8 twice. Not bad I guess, sure! He wins and that makes fans happy! But I'm getting CTC vibes from him. 

We all play March Madness here. I'm not sure about your list of teams that always **** the bed in March but Baylor is on that list for me. Stigma treatment I know - maybe that changes if he were hired at Indiana.

But arguing the other side of things - Why would he want to come to this sinking ship? He's winning at Baylor, he has his best recruiting class coming in, they have a brand new arena coming, the Big 12 is a whole lot easier to win than the B1G Ten. 

We're talking the equivalent of Indiana Football here. If Tom Allen is around for 14 years and take us to the B1G title game a few times, makes some NY6 bowls but never gets us in the playoff he'll be the most sought after coach in college football and come to think if it he will have never stayed here for 14 years. 

And didn't we debunk the March theory several pages ago? :-)

For the record, I'm on the fence on Drew. Not advocating for him. Just discussing. 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

LOL! They won't do anything with that trade expectation as they can only use it via trade on a huge contract. Landing Andre Drummond isn't going to help them. He can't really use the entire amount unless they send money out which means they are losing *talent*. Maybe they take in a bad contract next year? Russell Westbrook? LOL!

Boston Celtics are about world championships, not about ECF appearances.  

The Celtics went to a game 7 in the ECF in 2018 with their two best players out for the entire playoffs. You don't do that without an excellent coach. It took possibly the greatest basketball player of all time going for 46/11/9 in game 6 and 35/15/9 in game 7 to beat them.

If they fire Brad Stevens who are they hiring to replace him? Because you're going to struggle to find a better coach to take over. Firing one of the best coaches in the NBA just to replace him with someone worse would be a pretty stupid move. Brad Stevens isn't the one who put together the roster. He's not the one who has let Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, AL Horford, and Terry Rozier walk for nothing in free agency the past few years. If you want to win world championships then you better put together a world championship caliber roster. Danny Ainge hasn't done that. Brad Stevens has done pretty well with what he's gotten. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Slowly crossing over

A week ago I had seven guys listed as realistic (not a crazy dream) possibilities at Indiana (Alford, Beilein, Fife, Matta, Musselman, Oats, and Stevens). Base on your info it sounds like no to Alford, Beilein, Matta, and Oats. Stevens would have to be convinced and need some $$$ but could happen in the right situation. Is there anyone else that I am missing? I don't think guys like Billy Donovan, Tony Bennett, Chris Beard, or Jay Wright would leave their current places for IU. 

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I think you have always been on the pumper side of the fence when it came to the overall IU program despite the results 

True. And really all of IU athletics.  Our basketball program deserves so much better.  There's just one turd that needs flushed first

20 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

We're talking the equivalent of Indiana Football here. If Tom Allen is around for 14 years and take us to the B1G title game a few times, makes some NY6 bowls but never gets us in the playoff he'll be the most sought after coach in college football and come to think if it he will have never stayed here for 14 years. 

And didn't we debunk the March theory several pages ago? :-)

For the record, I'm on the fence on Drew. Not advocating for him. Just discussing. 

I obviously have 0 insight into Scott Drew's hopes and aspirations, but I can see him wanting no part of IU now. He has Baylor rolling, plays in an easier (but still high level) conference and it's ALL his. He built it entirely himself. I suspect he'll get a nice raise this off-season too. 

As has been mentioned, some guys want a new challenge and embrace high expectations. That is the guy we want, of course. But Scott Drew has already created a NC contender, he doesn't need to move to B-town for that. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The Celtics went to a game 7 in the ECF in 2018 with their two best players out for the entire playoffs. You don't do that without an excellent coach. It took possibly the greatest basketball player of all time going for 46/11/9 in game 6 and 35/15/9 in game 7 to beat them.

If they fire Brad Stevens who are they hiring to replace him? Because you're going to struggle to find a better coach to take over. Firing one of the best coaches in the NBA just to replace him with someone worse would be a pretty stupid move. Brad Stevens isn't the one who put together the roster. He's not the one who has let Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, AL Horford, and Terry Rozier walk for nothing in free agency the past few years. If you want to win world championships then you better put together a world championship caliber roster. Danny Ainge hasn't done that. Brad Stevens has done pretty well with what he's gotten. 

I've never said the Celtics were or should fire him. I'm telling you and the board that there is literally no hope for Brad to stay there and compete. Danny Ainge has screwed their future with the bad contract of Kemba Walker and his failure to attract key free agents after his Isiah Thomas situation.

The Celtics have no cap room, they have no assets outside of Brown and Tatum. They have a trade exception that will only be used for bad players with bad contracts (Blake Griffin, John Wall, Westbrook). Brown and Tatum are young sure but it's a players league. Tatum never wanted to play for the Celtics in the first place. One of them will request a trade and that will be the history of the Boston Celtics.

Brad has done well with this rosters given to him. He won't be fired. He will just continue to not win if he stays at the Celtics. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

True. And really all of IU athletics.  Our basketball program deserves so much better.  There's just one turd that needs flushed first

Agree once McRobbie is gone IUs basketball program might have a shot.   Sarcasm.   I know who you mean