Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, rcs29 said:

That individual didn't seem to think Beard is untouchable

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I think it was Stuhoo who had said he's a Texas guy and wouldn't leave the state as he and his ex-wife share custody of their kids. Doubtful he'd uproot for Bloomington, IN if the financials are as dire as they are made to be here and we couldn't afford a top flight salary.

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”

If Indiana wants to replace Archie Miller, it won’t be because of Cuban.

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

That individual didn't seem to think Beard is untouchable

He might not be untouchable......but his annual salary makes him the fourth highest paid in college basketball at about $4.5 million per year.  Have to imagine that if her to become available that suitors could be pushing that number in 6 range.

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”

If Indiana wants to replace Archie Miller, it won’t be because of Cuban.

Cuban has been consistent in that he does not want to be the guy whose money is used to hire and fire coaches at Indiana.  

19 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Forget him.....who is Dan Fife?

Very accomplished high school coach in Michigan. Has a couple boys (Dugan, Michigan and Dane, IU) who played Big Ten ball. Dan is in the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. A fine resume, but I don't think we'd want to hire him as our next basketball coach! 

He might not be untouchable......but his annual salary makes him the fourth highest paid in college basketball at about $4.5 million per year.  Have to imagine that if her to become available that suitors could be pushing that number in 6 range.

Yeah I think if IU is wanting the established low risk very high reward type then it's going to have to be close to that number of not a little above.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Wes Miller is waiting for UNC to open up, which could be anytime.

Seems like a silly move to jump to a sinking ship for a couple years and then take the UNC job. 

Almost certainly true. DM’d with Mike DeCourcy, and if you follow him on Twitter he’s a good dude and great about answering DM’s, when the Wake Forest job  opened up and asked why they wouldn’t just hire Miller. His response was that he was looking bigger.

News article out of Fort Worth, TX today talking about IU-Texas connections to fix Indiana Bball.
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article249627248.html
The saddest quote I ever read:
"Indiana Hoosiers basketball is worse than bad. They’re worse than Purdue."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'll always support IU athletics and especially the basketball program.  However, with that stated, if IU hires Fife it's just another signal where we are as a program and what the administration thinks of it.  Fun times!

And what other coaches think as well.  If we are bottom of the barrel and nobody wants to come,  Fife might be the only legitimate choice.    

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

But unlike Fife Shrewsbury has never been a head coach ANYWHERE. 

I listed a bunch of 'high-upside' candidates, but for me right now? I'd take Dennis Gates over the whole lot of 'em.

So Belmont is now 24-2 instead of 24-1 and you're just throwing Alexander out the window? Tough crowd you are, Stu. 

22 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

So Belmont is now 24-2 instead of 24-1 and you're just throwing Alexander out the window? Tough crowd you are, Stu. 

Hahaha.

I'm evolving and believe that experience at a P5 program is an important item.

Wes Miller, Dane Fife, and Dennis Gates all have D1 coaching and top 20 program asst coaching experience.