Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is BEFORE his two years of extreme success in his first head coaching job. "If I'm not invited to their weddings I'm not doing my job."

From a BIG TIME recruiter who graduated Cal Berkley in three years.

Eliminated.

His wife works at Boston College as an AD. Boston College is hiring a mens coach.

Credit:

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/basketball/boston-college-coaching-search-dennis-gates-favorite

Serious question and as I'm kinda young. 
How many african american coaches has IU basketball had? Head coaches?
Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson?
Without hesitation i would say yes that is all. Think about how long prior to that you have to go back in time to get before knight. I could be wrong but I doubt it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Eliminated.

His wife works at Boston College as an AD. Boston College is hiring a mens coach.

She's an Assistant AD. If IU came calling she would be working in Bloomington at IU.

Ain't no way in h.e.1.1. that a high-rising coach is going to take the BC job over the IU job if offered both, unless their entire family is from New England. She's from Delaware and he's from Chicago. At this point they're probably looking to work in the same area code. 

Is there a Top 10 out for anyone yet? Mine in no order now at this point...
John Beilein
Thad Matta
Jon Scheyer
Dane Fife
Kenny Payne
Calbert Cheaney
Fred Hoiberg
Scott Drew
Bruce Pearl
Steve Alford

Pearl and Alford are hard NOs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Without hesitation i would say yes that is all. Think about how long prior to that you have to go back in time to get before knight. I could be wrong but I doubt it

I like your new profile picture. I vote we all change our pictures to Dane Fife.

Or maybe Brad Stevens.. :92:

Give me fife all day long. Is he a huge gamble? heck yes. Can he win here I have no clue.

Good difference is I thought archie would win for sure and have zero confidence fife can recruit or coach at a high level so he has to be the guy

Just now, Josh said:

Kelvin isn't African American, he's Native American.  Lumbee Tribe.

I honestly had no idea what he is. Or maybe you're tolling. I'm too lazy to open a new tab and type in the words. 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I honestly had no idea what he is. Or maybe you're tolling. I'm too lazy to open a new tab and type in the words. 

I can be a little trolly sure, but I find it's never a good idea to troll or make assumptions about race

Don't understand the Fife love. He hasn't proven anything - so IU just hires him and takes a chance? That sounds like a perfect recipe for more misery and mediocrity.

There's a reason he's only been an assistant for the past decade. 

I'll toss a name I haven't heard yet. Randy Bennett. He's 58 and no clue on contract outside of he has extension until 26-27. I know he's pretty much only been a west coast guy. Anybody know much else?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Don't understand the Fife love. He hasn't proven anything - so IU just hires him and takes a chance? That sounds like a perfect recipe for more misery and mediocrity.

Good point. Gates or Wes Miller.

or Fife lol.

• When any business of note hires a home run they don't need an extended process. 
  • When someone that's relatively unproven is hired there are numerous candidates interviewed.

I would expect that we conduct initial interviews with multiple candidates if we are looking for a younger hire.

8 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

He's been waiting for a great job to open up, obviously Michigan State. 

As a poster above, Bobman pointed out --- Duke is basically going to do the same thing with Jon S.

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

He's been waiting for a great job to open up, obviously Michigan State. 

As a poster above Bobman pointed out, Duke is basically going to do the same thing with Jon S.

Don't buy it. If he were as good of a coach as some on here believe and could take IU to the promise land, someone would have hired him in the past 10 years - IU included.

I'm not disagreeing that we may need an IU guy but that CANNOT be the only determining factor. Seems like it is with Fife. There are plenty of assistants out there that have, and still are working under hall-of-fame coaches.