Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just curious as to what the timeframe would be in getting a new coach if Archie is let go? How soon after the season ends and he is gone would we know who the next coach would be? I can’t remember how long it took us to find out Archie was the guy after Crean. 

Matta, Beilein, Fife and Drew seem to be the 4 most talked about on here that have somewhat of a realistic chance. If those are your 4 who would excite you the most? From an excitement standpoint for me it would be Drew, Matta, Beilein and then Fife.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Just now, IUrocker said:

Just curious as to what the timeframe would be in getting a new coach if Archie is let go? How soon after the season ends and he is gone would we know who the next coach would be? I can’t remember how long it took us to find out Archie was the guy after Crean. 

Crean was fired on March 16, Miller was hired on the 25th. I remember thinking it felt rushed. I don't think Crean was hired until the beginning of April. 

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You are getting different information than I am. I'll leave it at that. 

Im sure the athletic dept is operating in the red. How much, none of us know. Them telling you they are down 40m could be a general reference to revenues, which is not the same as losses on a P & L. 

I would be shocked to hear that we spent anywhere near the same amount of money on operational costs. I'd be more than shocked actually. As inept as they are at running a basketball program, they are very shrewd from the business side of things. They aren't spending nearly as much in advertising, recruiting/recruiting travel, etc. 

I can tell you from experience that my business was negatively impacted by this last year. Between Covid, lockdowns, social unrest, the turbulent election cycle, and a very hard winter (hurts my business in particular) we were down. The one thing I cannot afford to do is quit spending! If I stop spending to improve my business and stay relevant in the eyes of the consumer, I'm insolvent in a matter of months. The university has a significant amount of resources that businesses like mine do not. 

If we are unable to hire a coach due to factors such as them having little to no interest, that's one thing. It would be insurmountable. But if the university wants to save money now and put another lame duck coach on the sidelines for the next 4-6 years, it will cost them multiples of what they were trying to save. It will start to rear its ugly head in a matter of a few short years. The entire university will be negatively impacted, not just the athletic dept. or the basketball program in particular. 

Organizations/Corporations have overcome much more dire circumstances than what the university is dealing with now. With the right leadership, finding the money to pay the right guy, is not something that is impossible. I hope they are thinking forward here. I will say that I don't envy the position they are in. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

We get it, you don’t want fife.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No one should. He’s never run a mid-major program, let alone a program like IU. Plenty of guys out there are good assistant coaches but not good head coaches. It’s a cheap hire that will make the Facebook grandpas who want an “IU guy” happy. That’s about it. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s weird to me is that people don’t want Steve Alford because of the Pierce situation from 19 years ago, but they’re ok with Fife who coaches at Michigan Stare. We know what’s happened at MSU. It’s just as bad, if not worse, than what Alford did. Are folks just assuming that he’s completely clean and had no role in it whatsoever despite coaching there for a decade?

Good point that Ive not ever considered. 

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Matta, Beilein, Fife and Drew seem to be the 4 most talked about on here that have somewhat of a realistic chance. If those are your 4 who would excite you the most? From an excitement standpoint for me it would be Drew, Matta, Beilein and then Fife.

Fife

6 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

We still haven’t found out that Archie is the guy...LOL

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think there's an important distinction here.  We finished $40M below projections, not $40M below zero.  We didn't lose money overall, we just didn't make the amount we were projected to make pre covid. 

This is the most likely answer. That or revenues were down YoY.

8 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Matta, Drew, Fife, Beilein.

Beilien  is too old imo. I could get behind any of the other three. 

8 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

We're looking at a month long process with March Madness in place, maybe shorter. Unless Brad Stevens says he's coming after the season is over ;)

8 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Matta - Can't walk anymore and hasn't coached basketball in four years. Kids don't even know who he is at this point.

Drew - Eliminated by Hanner Perea situation

Belien - Sounds like a great hire but as Chris pointed out, his "thugs" comment to players at the Cavs might due him in with kids and recruiting. Plus he is older.. But i wouldn't hate it.

Fife - Indiana guy, great recruiting, young, has more potential than most coaches given his love for IU and his youth. 

A guy that really intrigues me that I haven’t seen mentioned here much if at all is Micah Shrewsberry. I could get behind him. 

I just saw him mentioned in connection with the Penn State opening.

Speaking of which, I’m sure Pat Chambers is looking for work...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

A guy that really intrigues me that I haven’t seen mentioned here much if at all is Micah Shrewsberry. I could get behind him. 

For me?

We interview Fife, Dennis Gates, Shrewsbury, Wes Miller, Dana Ford, and Travis Steele.

One of them will blow the doors off of the interview panel. Hire that one.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me?

We interview Fife, Dennis Gates, Shrewsbury, Wes Miller, Dana Ford, and Travis Steele.

I wish Travis had more experience, he's similar to Dane though I suppose. Dana hard pass, boring hire. 

Wes Miller to UNC. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me?

I have a good friend who is HUGE Xavier booster..he will gladly give you Steele....makes me cross him off my list