Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

8 hours ago, Magisterium said:

wonder if he and Dolson have already had "the talk"

I've said it many times, I think Archie is best to walk away after this summer in order to protect his future in coaching. If he has another bad year at Indiana it's not going to be easy to land a GOOD job next year for him. He's best walking away, giving up some money in the buy-out and hoping he can land a nice little gig this off-season. He's young he's -- he's not the type of person to sit around the house all day clearly.

8 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Why is Dolson responsible for this?

He's not responsible for the hiring of Archie. He's responsible for finding the replacement which is a tall task given several factors we discuss daily on this board. He knows he doesn't have an easy job. IU basketball struggling and no hope in sight would more than likely keep most people up in his position.. 

9 hours ago, 8bucks said:

AJ does a good job with this. I would have been too quick to discuss basketball but he did a great job exploring several areas. He had Dolson so excited when talking about his time as a manager you could see Dolson eager for his turn to talk more.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Knowing Scott though he is always that excited to talk about anything IU-related. The best was the last few years getting him & AT to stop by tailgates to talk and have some fun. I took a couple of things away from that interview. 

I feel like these young fellas are ruining our program.  It's time to go full "experienced"

Beilein as coach, Matta as 1st assistant.  Bobby Knight as lead recruiter (who doesn't love their grandpa's ramblings) and Class of 66 Old Fart as the anchor at the end of the bench.

Title time baby

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

OK here are my notes from last night. I like to talk to people on game nights, they seem to have some cocktails and loosen up some. Let me say all of this is hearsay, as I said people drinking and talking so we'll see but it's from people I do trust.

First off the athletic department is down 40 million this year, not sure if that number is correct or not but I do know we are down a lot of money. Some trustees and staff are getting cold feet being down 40 million and then buying out 10 million then paying another coach. All during COVID when you asked people to take pay cuts. But I think this is where both Archie and IU agree to part ways.

But there is a study going on in the athletic dept trying to figure out if it would cost more to keep him than it would buy him out. Attendance, merchandise, concession, donations everything like that.

Feelers have been put out and the interest is not that great. Beilein wants to spend time with family, Matta is he healthy? Current coaches haven't shown much interest.

Swing for the fences, offer Brad 7 million a year. Well, the athletic department is down lots of money, buyout, then pay someone that much. Going to be hard to get trustees, President, and anyone else to agree to that.

Then we come to Dane, from the IU family, can recruit, wouldn't cost an arm and leg, and might have your guy for the next 30 years. 

I think it might be time to start tracking flights.

If we hire Fife... The program is done.

Personally, I'd really like to get Beard. I realize he may want nothing to do with it, but at least reach out to him.

I just don't think Fife is ready for the IU job. I liked the idea of bringing in someone like Beilein and Fife as an assistant to take over in a few years. That seems unlikely, but it would be a decent plan.

Not a fan of Drew. I think we would just be asking to potentially set the program back to a place from which it may never recover.

I do think Musselman could work. I'm afraid we may end up taking whoever is willing and hoping we struck gold. Sad days...

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

OK here are my notes from last night. I like to talk to people on game nights, they seem to have some cocktails and loosen up some. Let me say all of this is hearsay, as I said people drinking and talking so we'll see but it's from people I do trust.

First off the athletic department is down 40 million this year, not sure if that number is correct or not but I do know we are down a lot of money. Some trustees and staff are getting cold feet being down 40 million and then buying out 10 million then paying another coach. All during COVID when you asked people to take pay cuts. But I think this is where both Archie and IU agree to part ways.

But there is a study going on in the athletic dept trying to figure out if it would cost more to keep him than it would buy him out. Attendance, merchandise, concession, donations everything like that.

Feelers have been put out and the interest is not that great. Beilein wants to spend time with family, Matta is he healthy? Current coaches haven't shown much interest.

Swing for the fences, offer Brad 7 million a year. Well, the athletic department is down lots of money, buyout, then pay someone that much. Going to be hard to get trustees, President, and anyone else to agree to that.

Then we come to Dane, from the IU family, can recruit, wouldn't cost an arm and leg, and might have your guy for the next 30 years. 

I think it might be time to start tracking flights.

Good stuff, Chris! Sending Buffalouis to your office for lunch. 

I honestly believe there won't be much interest in this job. Indiana is down BAD right now. We're not the same. We have dated facilities. Kid's don't know anything about Indiana Basketball (outside of Hoosiers) and probably wouldn't have a clue to who Bobby Knight is. 

Are we really going to pay the most in college basketball? Archie is barley Top-20 in pay right now. 

We're in a REALLY bad position right now and this next hire will make or break Indiana Basketball. I think Fife is our guy. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Good stuff, Chris! Sending Buffalouis to your office for lunch. 

I honestly believe there won't be much interest in this job. Indiana is down BAD right now. We're not the same. We have dated facilities. Kid's don't know anything about Indiana Basketball (outside of Hoosiers) and probably wouldn't have a clue to who Bobby Knight is. 

Are we really going to pay the most in college basketball? Archie is barley Top-20 in pay right now. 

We're in a REALLY bad position right now and this next hire will make or break Indiana Basketball. I think Fife is our guy. 

100% we are just not in a good spot. Can't keep Archie, but really don't have the money to get rid of him, but apathy is setting in so have to do something, so what can we do. In the podcast yesterday I took from it that Scott doesn't want apathy for the program, he's afraid we're losing fans. Dane is an IU guy, wants the job, and is cheap

Fife might not be the home run we all want, but Allen has proved, to me at least, building a culture can overcome whatever deficiencies there might be with coaching knowledge or in a program's infrastructure. If Allen can turn around a dormant, or nonexistent, IU football program with his LEO philosophy, I'm totally onboard with giving Fife a chance if no one else wants the job and Fife wants it. IU basketball is a different animal than IU football I'll admit, but honestly what is the culture that is Archie Miller's IU basketball? I'm not sure I have an answer to that one. Just my take though. Make Brad Stevens say no, which I fully expect he would, then go after Fife

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

100% we are just not in a good spot. Can't keep Archie, but really don't have the money to get rid of him, but apathy is setting in so have to do something, so what can we do. In the podcast yesterday I took from it that Scott doesn't want apathy for the program, he's afraid we're losing fans. Dane is an IU guy, wants the job, and is cheap

Thanks for the updates.

The kneejerk anti-Fife reaction is confusing to me. If he wants the job, he’s a good recruiter, he’s learned from a great coach...I get wanting a “proven” guy but that’s not realistic right now.

As I’ve said, you hire a coach for his future.  Fife’s might not be as obviously excellent as, oh, Stevens, but a high level of success is one possibility with Fife.

Also...almost anything would be better than a lame duck year next year.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not that i want him but is it safe to say then that Alford is not in the plans at all

Just now, 8bucks said:

Not that i want him but is it safe to say then that Alford is not in the plans at all

I have not heard his name mentioned. I think with his career record, being fired from two P5 schools, not being a good human imo and being close with Dolson makes him not a candidate. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dane definitely wants the job? Has he been reached out to?

I have not heard his name mentioned. I think with his career record, being fired from two P5 schools, not being a good human imo and being close with Dolson makes him not a candidate. 

Whatever IU does,I hope it happens quickly before players decide to jump ship.

Just now, OldBuddy67 said:

Dane definitely wants the job? Has he been reached out to?

He said earlier this year on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast that 3 jobs he would take for sure would be IU, Michigan, Michigan State. I have no idea if he has been reached out to or not. We're going to be staying with him all next week in Indy so plenty of time to have talks with him. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Plus every time we play at Iowa it will be ugly and I am sure the school does not want to get that attention.

1 minute ago, GaryP said:

Whatever IU does,I hope it happens quickly before players decide to jump ship.

I'm not sure there are any players I'm worried about jumping ship. I want Franklin, Rob, Race to stay, Maybe Lander, Trey. Also a lot of these players would have to have a school that wants them. Some it might be a smaller school.