Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This season in the Stuhoo house

My wife crossing though the family room with two minutes left in the game:

"Are they winning?" (said in artificially sunny, hopeful, worrisome voice)...notices score on tv screen...

"Ohhhhh..." (keeps walking, increases pace...dog follows her & hides under bed)

You still get to watch IU games in the family room? You've got a spring and summer to build yourself an IU bunker so as not to embarrass the Mrs. in the neighborhood. :)

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I think you're right in that if IU football can find success, there is no reason IU basketball cannot. Where I don't think there is a direct correlation is that we don't want a Tom Allen for basketball (not the man and coach we currently know, I mean the equivalent of what Tom Allen was before he was our head football coach). He wasn't a known commodity that had a track record of high level head coaching success before we hired him. We want the hoops version of a Nick Saban, a Ryan Day, a Dabo Swinney. A Tom Allen in the college basketball world is a well respected assistant coach who specializes in defense. Are those out there? Sure. Can they have a Tom Allen affect on the basketball program? Sure. But they are all names we would scoff at as our next head coach. I could be wrong but I think Chris's point is more that our list of Nick Saban's, Ryan Day's and Dabo Swinney's in college hoops aren't viewing this job as very attractive. The Tom Allen's of college hoops probably would, and wouldn't bat an eye at whatever the perceived administration issues are. 

My comment was in response to the sorry old excuse that "the Administration" won't let Basketball succeed.  Nobody has ever pointed to a concrete example.  On the contrary, Football and other sports show that is not true.  

Good interview from AJ with Scott Dolson today

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1gqxvobONoAKB

AJ has really got something going with these podcasts I really enjoy them. Also, to relate to the coaching candidates, as I said earlier, Fife is only realistic if it is for the HC position so we would have to roll the dice being the first big program, however every single player that talks about him seems to talk positive: hates losing, hard worker, a little crazy in him. If we have to go with an IU guy I’m on board with others preferring it to be Fife.

I would love to see AJ get on staff at some capacity in the future. He’s mentioned multiple times in his Twitter when people comment to him about being a shooting coach that “Archie has my number”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

Scott sounds like a giant Hoosiers sports fan just like all of us. Gives me some hope that he'll want to get us back to winning like when he was a manager.

You won't find someone who loves IU more than Scott. This has been his home since 83. He meets you once he will know you for life. Great guy. Still pretty sure he is not making this decision himself but we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

AJ has really got something going with these podcasts I really enjoy them. Also, to relate to the coaching candidates, as I said earlier, Fife is only realistic if it is for the HC position so we would have to roll the dice being the first big program, however every single player that talks about him seems to talk positive: hates losing, hard worker, a little crazy in him. If we have to go with an IU guy I’m on board with others preferring it to be Fife.

I would love to see AJ get on staff at some capacity in the future. He’s mentioned multiple times in his Twitter when people comment to him about being a shooting coach that “Archie has my number”

I'm starting to get on that boat myself with Fife. An IU guy, knows the culture, can recruit, and would be cheap. Scott is looking for the coach for the next 25 years

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

My comment was in response to the sorry old excuse that "the Administration" won't let Basketball succeed.  Nobody has ever pointed to a concrete example.  On the contrary, Football and other sports show that is not true.  

What's holding IU back from succeeding in basketball?

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What's holding IU back from succeeding in basketball?

Well currently they have a coach who wants the program identity to be defense but they’re bad at defense. He’s also the last coach in America to realize that shooting and making lots of threes is good, and conversely preventing the opponent from hitting them is bad.

This is at least partially because he was hired on the strength of a three game March winning streak and nice connections.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Scott is looking for the coach for the next 25 years

I think this is what kicks several of the names we've bandied about out of the equation.    And I also don't think he's into this John Beilein / Dane Fife on the bench "coach-in-waiting" stuff.  This is his first hire and it's the biggest one he'll ever likely make during his tenure as AD.

rcs29 did all the work and posted this information for us yesterday; I just massaged the numbers so I could sort them by age.  I think you can scratch off your wish list any coach who's already 55+

COACH AGE SALARY (thousands) BUYOUT (thousands)
Tonagel, Greg N.A. N.A. N.A.
Hamilton, Leonard 72 2,300 0
Beilein, John 68 N.A. N.A.
Kruger, Lon 68 3,300 2,900
Pition, Rick 68 1,100 N.A.
Barnes, Rick 66 5,300 5,000
Sampson, Kelvin 65 3,000 12,000
Altman, Dana 62 3,500 3,000
Calipari, John 62 8,500 60,000
Woodson, Mike 62 N.A. N.A.
Wittman, Randy 61 N.A. N.A.
Pearl, Bruce 60 4,000 12,000
Musselman, Eric 58 2,600 1,500
Alford, Steve 56 500 4,000-6,000
Donovan, Billy 55 6,000 N.A.
Jackson, Mark 55 N.A. N.A.
Matta, Thad 53 N.A. N.A.
Moser, Porter 52 N.A. N.A.
Bennett, Tony 51 5,200 18,000
Cooley, Ed 51 3,500 N.A.
Drew, Scott 50 3,300 N.A.
Cheaney, Calbert 49 N.A. N.A.
Cronin, Mick 49 3,400 15,400
Alexander, Casey 48 800 N.A.
Beard, Chris 48 4,600 3,000
Pope, Mark 48 N.A. N.A.
Smith, Craig 48 800 N.A.
Oats, Nate 46 3,300 12,600
Devries, Darian 45 N.A. N.A.
Lewis, Michael 44 250 N.A.
Shrewsberry, Micah 44 N.A. N.A.
Stevens Brad 44 3,700 N.A.
Fife, Dane 41 265 N.A.
Steele, Travis 39 N.A. N.A.
Nored, Ronald 31 N.A. N.A.

Well currently they have a coach who wants the program identity to be defense but they’re bad at defense. He’s also the last coach in America to realize that shooting and making lots of threes is good, and conversely preventing the opponent from hitting them is bad.
This is at least partially because he was hired on the strength of a three game March winning streak and nice connections.

And before Arch was ever thought of for the coaching gig, what was the problem then?

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think this is what kicks several of the names we've bandied about out of the equation.    And I also don't think he's into this John Beilein / Dane Fife on the bench "coach-in-waiting" stuff.  This is his first hire and it's the biggest one he'll ever likely make during his tenure as AD.

rcs29 did all the work and posted this information for us yesterday; I just massaged the numbers so I could sort them by age.  I think you can scratch off your wish list any coach who's already 55+

COACH AGE SALARY (thousands) BUYOUT (thousands)
Tonagel, Greg N.A. N.A. N.A.
Hamilton, Leonard 72 2,300 0
Beilein, John 68 N.A. N.A.
Kruger, Lon 68 3,300 2,900
Pition, Rick 68 1,100 N.A.
Barnes, Rick 66 5,300 5,000
Sampson, Kelvin 65 3,000 12,000
Altman, Dana 62 3,500 3,000
Calipari, John 62 8,500 60,000
Woodson, Mike 62 N.A. N.A.
Wittman, Randy 61 N.A. N.A.
Pearl, Bruce 60 4,000 12,000
Musselman, Eric 58 2,600 1,500
Alford, Steve 56 500 4,000-6,000
Donovan, Billy 55 6,000 N.A.
Jackson, Mark 55 N.A. N.A.
Matta, Thad 53 N.A. N.A.
Moser, Porter 52 N.A. N.A.
Bennett, Tony 51 5,200 18,000
Cooley, Ed 51 3,500 N.A.
Drew, Scott 50 3,300 N.A.
Cheaney, Calbert 49 N.A. N.A.
Cronin, Mick 49 3,400 15,400
Alexander, Casey 48 800 N.A.
Beard, Chris 48 4,600 3,000
Pope, Mark 48 N.A. N.A.
Smith, Craig 48 800 N.A.
Oats, Nate 46 3,300 12,600
Devries, Darian 45 N.A. N.A.
Lewis, Michael 44 250 N.A.
Shrewsberry, Micah 44 N.A. N.A.
Stevens Brad 44 3,700 N.A.
Fife, Dane 41 265 N.A.
Steele, Travis 39 N.A. N.A.
Nored, Ronald 31 N.A. N.A.

Please add Dennis Gates from Cleveland State     41    350    N.A.

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

He has a career winning percentage of 64% so he didn't get the job on a 3 game winning streak.

I don't think a lot of people are lining up to work for this athletic department. Most of the same people have been there during all of these hires. Hopefully getting a new president will help this summer. 

Is the department capable of change? Or do we need to clean house?

Maybe I’m just confused how an athletic department can be so incompetent for 21+ years

Any further insight you could provide on what the issues are?

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Is the department capable of change? Or do we need to clean house?

Maybe I’m just confused how an athletic department can be so incompetent for 21+ years

Any further insight you could provide on what the issues are?

I will try to in the next couple of days. Working on something this afternoon. Also don't want to say too much about the department. Scott is not part of the problem I know that for sure. 

You won't find someone who loves IU more than Scott. This has been his home since 83. He meets you once he will know you for life. Great guy. Still pretty sure he is not making this decision himself but we'll see. 

Can he make the decision himself if he wants? Who’s making the decision with him? Haha sorry for being so blunt

50 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Right, and I'm not necessarily buying into the administration holding IU hoops back theory. But it does seem to be a theory many buy into, and if that impression is really out there, high level coaches will know it, and that could turn them off.