Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 hours ago, Treesh said:

Assuming the dream candidates and coaches at high rankings programs currently are not in the running..

I think we settle on Dane Fife as a collective. Indiana guy, recruiting history, brings the Indiana fans together. 

Dane fife would be a worse hire than Archie. I can’t believe people actually think he’d win here. No history of consistently winning as a head of any program. The best I’ve heard anyone say is that he took IPFW from “god awful” to “meh” and that “he learned from a legend.”  

And we scrutinize Drew’s resume? Fife doesn’t unite the fanbase. Not even close. Let him go WIN SOMEWHERE FIRST! 

Not a head coaching candidate, but you know who should get a look as an assistant (GA first?) as soon as he retires from playing? Yogi Ferrell.

He’d be a great recruiter because both parents and players will like him. NBA experience. Megawatt smile. Young enough players will remember him. Knows the game. Got better every year, made his teammates better. Two conference title rings. Played hard whether he was the freshman earning his keep or the senior leader. Vocal. Seems to connect well with everyone.

Hummel is the best. He's the truth-iest guy out there. 
This is a great watch. While they conclude Archie may in fact get one more year because of the separation cost, literally EVERY measurable of the program that they discuss they decide is failing. I think that Goodman and Hummel would cross the line into 'he's gone' if we lose out and if TJD leaves.

Pandemic and buyout were their only reasons for leaning in favor of a 5th year. And like 99.9% of peeps, they don’t understand how the buyout actually works (spread out over 3 years + set off with CAM being obligated to seek other employment).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Penn St wants the Purdue’s assistant 

That would be a good call. Thought that might be the job for Kyle Neptune, Jay Wright’s top guy. But Shrewsberry would certainly make sense.

I think they left out the most important thing though, which is the defensive collapse. I would still be in on Archie if the problem was just inconsistent guard play. He's clearly recognized this and recruited it well the last couple years. I expect guards next year to be a strength. This year, I can't blame Archie for not being able to predict that Rob would significantly regress, that Brunk would miss the full season, and that Franklin would miss significant time and be hobbled even when he could play. These things are all out of his control. Yes, he needs to be able to adjust, but 3 of the top 6 guys coming into the season have not come close to reaching expectations.

But there is no excuse for the collapse of the defense. Archie was brought in to be a defensive coach. The team has somehow gotten more clueless defensively as the year has gone on. The effort has been abysmal. Either the coaching has deteriorated or the players are tuning him out. But either way it's hard to see next year being better because it doesn't seem like a problem that can be fixed just by switching out a few players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great points, I agree.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I might have missed if it was posted earlier, Leonard Hamilton just signed a 5 yr. extension.  I think he can leave the list.
He is the only coach that I researched that actually had a $0 buyout. That said his age and I believe him to probably be happy finishing at FL ST should all but eliminate him honestly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Chris007 said:

My question would be can he recruit. Do HS players want to go play for someone who is their grandpa's age? Will coaches use his age against him when recruiting kids. Will someone his age be at the school all 4 years of your eligibility? Those are questions I would need answered before I would be OK with him leading us. 

Players want to play for a winner and a winning program. 

Baylor is building a new arena. It is going to be smaller than the current facility at around 7,000-7,500. My first reaction was that this is reflective of the interest in basketball down in Waco and while that is true from a fan size it is also important to point out that $100 million came from a single donor. 

if you are able to pull in $100 million from a single donor I suspect the school is going to be able to throw a lot of money at Drew to keep him  

https://www.baylor.edu/givelight/index.php?id=969580

He is going to have to want the Indian job for more than financial reasons. 

10 hours ago, tomallenfan said:

My bold prediction: IU fires Archie and hires Musselman from Arkansas

In the words of the Black Eyed Peas... I gotta feeling

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Musselman is an under rated coach for sure.