Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Goodman and Hummel have a good discussion on whether Archie should get another year or not

Yeah that was good. Funny how guys like that agree that Archie is not meeting the expectations. Hummel even outlined that we should be in the tournament every 5 years and maybe have one down rebuild then back.  That is fair especially if we have a few where we are contending for the final four at a minimum but then he goes on to say that we have fans with crazy expectations stuck in the 80’s. 

Give me 5/6 years in and a handful of nationally strong teams in that mix then see if we have a lot of fans stuck in the 80s. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Goodman and Hummel have a good discussion on whether Archie should get another year or not

Hummel is the best. He's the truth-iest guy out there. 

This is a great watch. While they conclude Archie may in fact get one more year because of the separation cost, literally EVERY measurable of the program that they discuss they decide is failing. I think that Goodman and Hummel would cross the line into 'he's gone' if we lose out and if TJD leaves.

Absolutely the worst thing I have ever listened to. Just hearing Hummel talk about iu pisses me off. I

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sounds like you might be that guy stuck in the 80's their talking about :-)
Dang right I am because accepting anything less is trash imo. All programs should strive to be the absolute best and to win as much as possible. Why would or should we lower our standards to just accept we aren't duke or Kentucky so let's just give up. Purdue is becoming a great team should we give up and say well we aren't as good as them so guess we will just try to beat Nebraska? Just tell me why any team or fan would accept that what you did in the past is not going to happen ever again? Also list reasons why iu can't be great again? I am curious

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll duck for cover after posing the question, but how stuck in the 80's is the notion that IU needs to get old and stay old and we only need to recruit guys from the state, or the tri-state area, because it worked with Bob Knight? This is Big10 basketball in the age of the 1 and done era, if you've got any guys worth a squat, they are likely going to the NBA after a couple seasons and you'll be lucky to keep a guy all 4 years. Just something I always think when I hear those two premises posed here.

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

I'll duck for cover after posing the question, but how stuck in the 80's is the notion that IU needs to get old and stay old and we only need to recruit guys from the state, or the tri-state area, because it worked with Bob Knight? This is Big10 basketball in the age of the 1 and done era, if you've got any guys worth a squat, they are likely going to the NBA after a couple seasons and you'll be lucky to keep a guy all 4 years. Just something I always think when I hear those two premises posed here.

Well, I know one thing, I'm f*cking tired of losing to Purdue every year and watching them out-perform us, and this stuff seems to work pretty well for them. 

6 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

The "stuck in the 80's" line wasn't my favorite, but I think in the context it was used, it was meant to state that some IU fans think that the Big Ten should be 13 teams genuflecting to the mighty IU, scared to play us, and resigned to losing to us. The B1G currently is just too darn good to have any one team as an absolute alpha dog.

The other dynamics you cited from the 80's; "get old and stay old and we only need to recruit guys from the state, or the tri-state area" are not what they were talking about, but frankly, we are doing horribly at that too. I think that Hummel cited the teams that are consistently outperforming us, and that is exactly what they are doing.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The "stuck in the 80's" line wasn't my favorite, but I think in the context it was used, it was meant to state that some IU fans think that the Big Ten should be 13 teams genuflecting to the mighty IU, scared to play us, and resigned to losing to us. The B1G currently is just too darn good to have any one team as an absolute alpha dog.

The other dynamics you cited from the 80's; "get old and stay old and we only need to recruit guys from the state, or the tri-state area" are not what they were talking about, but frankly, we are doing horribly at that too. 

Apologies, I know it wasn't discussed in the video, just has been discussed plenty of times here. If you're going to recruit guys out of HS that are 4 year guys to a place like IU, your player development better be up to snuff. As WatShot said, Painter's has been, Archie's has left a lot to be desired so far in his 4 years at IU. Just my opinion of course and to the video's point, maybe the free agency from the transfer market can make up that slack, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that coming to fruition.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’ve probably said this before but I think he is the best young color guy espn has going.  I will go out of my way and put his games on the main one to listen to his call each night.    Podcasts are pretty good as well 

I'm surprised Hummel still does game analysis and studio duty at BTN. Usually if you're of any talent, you pass your audition and ESPN/Fox puts you on their main networks full time.

12 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

I'm surprised Hummel still does game analysis and studio duty at BTN. Usually if you're of any talent, you pass your audition and ESPN/Fox puts you on their main networks full time.

I’m guessing when his contract is up which allows him to do both that there will be a bidding war for his services 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Also I was laughed at for saying Fred Glass should put in a clause in Archie’s contract that stated if he doesn’t make the tournament in his first 4 years his buyout gets greatly reduced

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If I was one that laughed I apologize.

It's not funny at all.

We are junk .Hummel is another in state kid who wanted to come to IU but went to Purdue and beat our butts. I DO NOT dislike those PU players any more. Hummel and Goodman are spot on. Archie has failed and the roster is mostly not good. TJD and the a huge drop off. Recruiting has largely been a failure other than TJD and Romeo.

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

I think we should recruit the state well but I no longer buy get old stay old. Too much player movement between going to the league and transfers.