Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Is Mike Schrage part of the IU coaching tree? He is the head coach of Elon. Not saying he is good enough for a P5 job, just surprised since I've never heard of him but he was a student manager at IU from 94-98.

26 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Archie will have the hottest seat in America heading into next season. 

Does he want that pressure along with his other coaching staff members? Maybe he walks. 

If we don't make the dance next year with Archie then his resume to get hired again isn't going to be very pretty. He might be hurting himself by staying a year longer honestly. 

Archie's seat will be scorching.  Looking around the country, the only seat that may rival the heat may be Steve Prohm's at Iowa State.  Team is about to go 0-fer in conference play, and they had some seriously good teams under Hoiberg.

You put Lewis or Fife as AHC and then add A.J .Guyton as an assistant and I'd gladly take either Beilein or Matta because it shows you have a clear heir in place for either of them. Can't think of a lot of better mentors than those 2 for a HC apprentice. Oh and A.J just because I want him on the sideline. Pick em' on last assistant.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Penn St wants the Purdue’s assistant 

Good! He is a HUGE part of Purdue's success. Also has a Top 150 son who is a sophomore right now(?). Need him to leave Purdue after this year.

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is Mike Schrage part of the IU coaching tree? He is the head coach of Elon. Not saying he is good enough for a P5 job, just surprised since I've never heard of him but he was a student manager at IU from 94-98.

Dan Dakich LOVES LOVES LOVES him FWIW.

Course, Andrew got a job there (and that's okay). So yes, Dan Dakich was an IU Assistant who knows Schrage who hired Andrew Dakich. I think that makes Schrage an IU coaching first cousin once removed lol.

10 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

You put Lewis or Fife as AHC and then add A.J .Guyton as an assistant and I'd gladly take either Beilein or Matta because it shows you have a clear heir in place for either of them. Can't think of a lot of better mentors than those 2 for a HC apprentice. Oh and A.J just because I want him on the sideline. Pick em' on last assistant.

Dane Fife is already the Associate Head Coach and heir apparent at Michigan State, a program that has been far more successful than us and has a 66 year old Izzo. There is NO WAY that Fife will ever leave to be anything other than a P5 head coach.

Dane Fife is already the Associate Head Coach and heir apparent at Michigan State, a program that has been far more successful than us and has a 66 year old Izzo. There is NO WAY that Fife will ever leave to be anything other than a P5 head coach.

Not to his alma mater to be the exact same thing for an older coach (Beilein) with a great deal of success himself? I wouldn't say no way on that. I don't know him or how he feels but that doesn't seem that crazy to me. Now Matta I could see that being an issue.

1 hour ago, finky said:

I'm going to step out on a sturdy limb and say Beilein will be the next IU Coach.  We all know that isn't a long term solution, but, I think 4-8 years with John at the helm with the understanding succession will be sooner and not later and allow the program along with Beilein's help to plan for that isn't a bad thing..at all.  I think this would excite the base and give us one of the best X's and O'x guys around...guy can flat out Coach and minus his stint in Cleveland all he has ever had is success.   This is a low risk move for the Trustee's to approve.  Success everywhere, stand up guy and his past players love him.

He'd certainly give us instant credibility without waiting for a "rebuild."  I think it's a good transition hire while we wait for Stevens, et. al. or someone else to develop.  

Not to his alma mater to be the exact same thing for an older coach (Beilein) with a great deal of success himself? I wouldn't say no way on that. I don't know him or how he feels but that doesn't seem that crazy to me. Now Matta I could see that being an issue. 

He’s also from Michigan. I don’t see Fife as a realistic option for any position other than HC. And then you have to decide if you want to be the first big time program to give him the keys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This thread is trending toward Beilein now. And that's fine. But here's the thing nobody seems to be addressing: Does he want to coach college ball again?

Sure, he's a proven coach and knows the game, but can a 68-year-old fellow recruit again -- or does he even want to? I got the impression when he left Michigan that he was pretty straight-laced dude as far as NCAA rules go, and was tired of all the blurring of the lines around him -- and that's why he took the Cavs' job. And he was pretty quick to leave that gig when it turned sour. 

I just got the vibe that he was basically saying: "I'm tired of playing by the rules while others aren't and I'm getting beat in recruiting. I've had enough of this BS."

I'm just not sure he wants to be involved in what it takes to run a college program again. Obviously, I have no idea what's in the man's head, but that's just the feeling I got from what I've read. 

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He'd certainly give us instant credibility without waiting for a "rebuild."  I think it's a good transition hire while we wait for Stevens, et. al. or someone else to develop.  

My question would be can he recruit. Do HS players want to go play for someone who is their grandpa's age? Will coaches use his age against him when recruiting kids. Will someone his age be at the school all 4 years of your eligibility? Those are questions I would need answered before I would be OK with him leading us.