Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

11 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Pat Forde of SI likes Scott Drew.

Scott Drew, Not Archie Miller, Is the Coach Who Can Restore Indiana Basketball | Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/27/indiana-hoosiers-archie-miller-scott-drew

Yeah we've (I lol) eliminated him from our realistic discussions. 

His history of wanting to DEPORT one of our players, Hanner Perea, is enough to cut him off the list. 

Scott Dolson was the assistant AD at the time, he didn't forget about this situation. 

Plus we all know about Baylor come March, they will screw your bracket up like no other. Never count them to be advancing far, that's one thing I've learned from my years of March Madness. Two Elite 8's, okay that's cool. Looking at this record and perhaps even recruiting, we're looking at CTC results again. Circling back I'm afraid.. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yeah we've (I lol) eliminated him from our realistic discussions. 

His history of wanting to DEPORT one of our players, Hanner Perea, is enough to cut him off the list. 

Scott Dolson was the assistant AD at the time, he didn't forget about this situation. 

Plus we all know about Baylor come March, they will screw your bracket up like no other. Never count them to be advancing far, that's one thing I've learned from my years of March Madness. Two Elite 8's, okay that's cool. Looking at this record and perhaps even recruiting, we're looking at CTC results again. Circling back I'm afraid.. 

I'm guessing that Drew leaked that to Forde to get a raise from Baylor or to say he is interested. I don't even have him in the top 3 of that conference in coaches. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing that Drew leaked that to Forde to get a raise from Baylor or to say he is interested. I don't even have him in the top 3 of that conference in coaches. 

I don't either. But the last two years have been really impressive. Which is odd because you don't normally see that type of improvement/change in year 17 and 18.

I personally think he is a good option, not my top choice, but a solid option who actually might be realistic.  

11 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

A quick glance back and this appears to only be true of 2015 and 2016. Two straight years of being upset in the first round as heavy favorites is very easy to remember. In 2017 they lost in the sweet 16 to a lower seeded South Carolina who advanced to the FF, and as a 3 seed, I would say being eliminated in the sweet 16 was getting bounced early. In his 2 elite 8 appearances they were beaten by #1 seeds who went on to win it all. Even in down years he has a NIT championship and NIT runner up. Even Kansas and Duke have plenty of first round flops. Drew, of course, does not have any championships or even final fours to offset those. I'm not advocating for Drew, but we also have to recognize that we won't be hiring any coach that has a banner under his/her belt already. Big picture, I'll take a team that is consistently really good, is in the tourney almost always, seeded consistently high, is advancing to the 2nd weekend where anything can happen from there, but also mixes in some early exits. Not ideal on that last point, but it's gonna happen. That March track record is something I could totally deal with at this point. Again, i'm not advocating for him, just disputing that his March record is terrible. 

I wish we got to see what his team would've done last year since it was his best team. If he had that final four run last year or this year I think there'd be very few questions about him. 

10 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I don't either. But the last two years have been really impressive. Which is odd because you don't normally see that type of improvement/change in year 17 and 18.

I personally think he is a good option, not my top choice, but a solid option who actually might be realistic.  

The improvement can be directly tied to a change in his defensive system. He's going to have another top 10 team next year most likely. I don't know what other coach we could get that has ever had a three year regular season stretch that good. The tourney is a crap shoot but if you consistently have great teams you'll go deep eventually. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/baylor-was-known-for-its-offense-now-its-winning-with-defense/

15 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

A few years back he changed his recruiting approach from chasing the 5 star kid to the Villanova/UNC approach where you combine high end talent with experience.  That may be the reason for the improvement.  It would have been interesting to see how his team did last year and will be again interesting to watch this year.

He should not be in Brad/Billy D/Bennett grouping but I cannot see having to many others above him IF Dolson is comfortable with his prior NCAA violations (back in 2013 in think) and certainly the HP backstory.  

When i read this article https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/28/scott-drew-baylor-basketball I kept thinking he is the better version of Crean and Archie.  He has not problems meeting with boosters and can relate to kids but he is also a builder.  The Baylor program was a mess, far worse than IU when Crean arrived, and he built that into a Gonzaga type program on his own.  

If I am Dolson I give him a call and talk about the past, HP and then go from there.

It seems a lot of the second tier of candidates may have some baggage.  Pearl, Alford, Fife being part of MSU, or a host of others with limited experience and are risky.  Our BOTs though may still have Sampson fears and may skip right by him though as they probably will with the other riskier guys.  

51 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is possible.  Forde has written a couple of articles about Drew so it is possible Drew reached out to him or that in prior discussions other locations came up and Pat just ran with it.  

53 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

And he likely wouldn't be the only coach to use that tactic to get a raise.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Hamilton just signed a 5-year extension at FSU. As someone else mentioned he's 72 so not really a candidate but he looks 52. 

Even if he weren't 72, doesn't strike me as a realistic candidate. Would be a big ask to leave a program he's built to be quite successful in an ACC with what appears to be a declining North Carolina and a Duke team that could very well decline when Coach K hangs them up. Why would he leave that to join the Big10 gauntlet .

9 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

This is possible.  Forde has written a couple of articles about Drew so it is possible Drew reached out to him or that in prior discussions other locations came up and Pat just ran with it.  

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And he likely wouldn't be the only coach to use that tactic to get a raise.

This was my point with Cooley. Howard was always UM’s top target, as he should’ve been: if you’ve got a well-regarded former player who’s a rising star on Erik Spoelstra’s staff, he should rank much higher than a guy with a perennial bubble team in the Big East with no tournament resume to speak of. The fact that Cooley told Goodman he turned down UM just means he kept up the ruse after he signed the extension

39 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

He has a better chance to be hired than Brad Stevens

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Disagree. Marshall is a complete non-starter with the Board of Trustees--that's a zero % chance. Kinda a Kelvin Sampson-like chance.

Stevens would have to decide with his wife that they prefer the college coach lifestyle in their home state over his current fully successful and valued situation with the Boston freakin' Celtics. That's extraordinarily unlikely. "Extraordinarily unlikely" is more likely than "zero % chance."