Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

When IU hired Crean he'd never finished better than 4th in a major conference, got past the 2nd round once, and missed the tourney almost as much as he made it.

Sure and he took on the dumpster fire that was IU and gave us a few glimpses of success in a few short years.  If he could have only sustained it, he'd still be here.  

42 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’m the opposite. I have no idea if he has the guts to make the move this year but if he did I have no doubt he could raise whatever funds needed to do it - that’s what he is good at

I'd think SD would have little trouble raising money for a buyout and new hire if the new guy was Brad; I also suspect the fundraising would be more difficult if the new guy was someone else 

22 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Maybe it can be explained quickly here but I was going to start a thread called “McRobbie and his successor”

when is the Aussie gone officially and how is the next president chosen? What is that process and how do we try to make sure we get one that cares about athletic success and most importantly mens basketball success?

usually the position is posted nationally (Chronicle of Higher Ed, etc) and an expensive search firm is utilized

I'd expect the new Pres to probably be a woman....hope her attitude towards college athletics is a tad more positive than McRobbie's was

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Anybody see the Tom Coughlin profile that the NFL Network ran during its "A Football Life" series? Like most of those programs, it was very interesting and very well done. It's not short -- 45 minutes or so. 

Tom's family and friends loved him. Media hated him. Players hated him. When he said a meeting was at 3 p.m., that meant you showed up at 2:50. And if you didn't, you got fined. And there were all sorts of archaic, old-school rules for which fines were levied.

Finally, his family had an "intervention." They said, "Hey, you're a fine, loving, caring man. But we're the only ones who see that. Why don't you let others see it, too -- because you can't continue the way you are, or you never will have success." 

Tom made a monumental change, lightened up and won two Super Bowls. Michael Strahan said he went from hating the man to loving him and if he hadn't retired, wouldn't have wanted to play for anyone else. 

I don't know that Archie's a real hard-@$$, but I do think there's a real disconnect with his players. There seems to be no relationship. Or a very fractured one. At least that's how it appears on the surface. When players quit -- like against Rutgers and Michigan -- that indicates more problems than just X's and O's and personnel. If you don't like your coach, you sure as hell aren't gonna fight for him when the chips are down. 

Wouldn't it be something if Archie was given another year, underwent a Tom Coughlin-like transformation, created a LEO-like atmosphere within the hoops like program and started winning? I don't think we have the greatest players in the world, but I do think we have enough talent to be more competitive than we have been. We showed that against Iowa. 

I don't why, but I like Archie. I wish he'd succeed. But at the same point, I do realize we're slipping further and further into the abyss and something needs to be done ... 

Exactly.  This is all on Archie.  He failed to adapt and change to IU and the Big10.  Unfortunately probably too late now.  

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I heard the podcast on the brink with Galen Clavio, and he made a good point about Archie. Said that Archie is far more a basketball coach than the head of a program. At IU you need to be both.

If he's a basketball coach then I am the Emperor of Rome.  What do they see that makes him a basketball coach?

Just now, Magisterium said:

usually the position is posted nationally (Chronicle of Higher Ed, etc) and an expensive search firm is utilized

I'd expect the new Pres to probably be a woman....hope her attitude towards college athletics is a tad more positive than McRobbie's was

A tad more? I blame McRobbie for the mess that is IU! This focus on out of state enrollment just for money has caused the university to lose its identity! Remember the Harvard of the Midwest nonsense? He has no idea on athletics nor the pride that Hoosiers had for their state university! Where oh where is John Ryan or even Thomas Erhlich? Need a American and hopefully a Hoosier in charge! I’m so jealous of Purdue having Mitch! He gets it! 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

If he's a basketball coach then I am the Emperor of Rome.  What do they see that makes him a basketball coach?

I think his point was that Archie is a basketball junkie and an obsessive student of the game. Doesn’t mean he can get kids to execute his concepts.

9 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

How do we campaign for Chris Reynolds? 

I think we can also eliminate Pearl. We’re not going to hire someone with any prior incidents with the NCAA after the Kelvin Sampson era. 

He can coach for sure, but his NCAA blemish is enough for Indiana to steer clear. Dolson isn’t being Pearl to the trustee’s meeting. 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think his point was that Archie is a basketball junkie and an obsessive student of the game. Doesn’t mean he can get kids to execute his concepts.

Then he's just a nerd.  The whole point of coaching is to lead the team in the proper direction.  And I'm not convinced he's really a student of the game.  Otherwise, we would see adaptations based on personnel.  

7 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

A tad more? I blame McRobbie for the mess that is IU! This focus on out of state enrollment just for money has caused the university to lose its identity! Remember the Harvard of the Midwest nonsense? He has no idea on athletics nor the pride that Hoosiers had for their state university! Where oh where is John Ryan or even Thomas Erhlich? Need a American and hopefully a Hoosier in charge! I’m so jealous of Purdue having Mitch! He gets it! 

well, he did get us those shiny new International Studies buildings

and....and....well, he did get us those shiny new International Studies buildings

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Then he's just a nerd.  The whole point of coaching is to lead the team in the proper direction.  And I'm not convinced he's really a student of the game.  Otherwise, we would see adaptations based on personnel.  

He’s made plenty of adjustments this year, especially with his timeouts and offense. 

Offense still isn’t flowing and he runs a lot of the same looks, but he’s running more sets than he has before that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I think we can also eliminate Pearl. We’re not going to hire someone with any prior incidents with the NCAA after the Kelvin Sampson era. 

He can coach for sure, but his NCAA blemish is enough for Indiana to steer clear. Dolson isn’t being Pearl to the trustee’s meeting. 

I want no part of Pearl UNLESS he signs a stipulation within his contract promising never, EVER to take off his shirt and paint his body red

31 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

That act of asking him to stay on another year might cost this school big time when it comes to this coaching situation

Patrick Shoulders was supposed to be gone last year too. His term was up last year and he's not seeking re-election. ******* Covid gave us another year of these chumps. 

7 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I don’t think we can do that nor should we. Pearl would be a great hire

John Beilein with Dane Fife as head coach in waiting? 

No one is perfect, but with this combo you have a proven successful head coach (Sure, his NBA stint is a stain on his record and he's older, but I'm curious if anyone would quibble with his basketball knowledge.) and a successor lined-up with great ties to the university and desired program culture, the B1G conference and regional recruiting. This might be a case where one individual's flaws are canceled by the other's strengths.