Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Really good point.  The only negative thing I saw any national people say about the Archie hire was that some felt his personality wouldn’t fit well at IU.  All he is worried about is coaching and they didn’t know how he would do at the other part of the job.  Most said Mack personality fit better for a job like IU’s 

I had totally forgotten about the issue that he might not have the schmooze factor it took at IU.  

Ed Cooley would be a backup option to me. I’d rather go get Drew than Ed. He said he would look at fit. I highly doubt he see’s Bloomington Indiana as “a fit”. But he might recognize the fertile  recruiting grounds and think he could do well. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I heard the podcast on the brink with Galen Clavio, and he made a good point about Archie. Said that Archie is far more a basketball coach than the head of a program. At IU you need to be both.

Agree but he is on the hot seat right now due to coaching.

50 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I am not an insider by any means but have met Dolson 2-3 times over the last few years. This was before he was the AD but he seemed quiet, willing to work out of the limelight to make sure the events we were at flowed well. Compared to some ADs who like to have the camera on them.

Maybe that came from being a manager but I always go the impression he was an analytical, thoughtful guy who got things done. Does this mean he will analyze this well and make the right decision, who knows. I do feel better about him making the decision than Glass 

w/ Dolson I tend to worry less about his own decision-making abilities than I do about potential restrictions (financial and otherwise) that he might have to be operating with

53 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'd be fine with Ed Cooley, but like 12 other guys would have to say "No thanks" first for me to get on board.  I'd also rather keep Archie than fire him and get Ed Cooley.

Brad Stevens
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Thad Matta
Tony Bennett

After that, I don't care.

Fair enough, but you do realize Matta is the only one on that list that we have more than a crazy low shot at?

One thing that legitimately makes me more interested in Cooley is the fact that whether or not he actually turned Michigan down, it sounds like they were very interested in him to be their HC. They made a phenomenal hire with Juwan and I honestly trust their hiring team more than IU’s so yeah I say we go with their alternative option.

Not entirely serious about the last part but I do believe Cooley’s floor is higher than most as a HC and I’m very afraid we **** this decision up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

30 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

w/ Dolson I tend to worry less about his own decision-making abilities than I do about potential restrictions (financial and otherwise) that he might have to be operating with

I’m the opposite. I have no idea if he has the guts to make the move this year but if he did I have no doubt he could raise whatever funds needed to do it - that’s what he is good at

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’m the opposite. I have no idea if he has the guts to make the move this year but if he did I have no doubt he could raise whatever funds needed to do it - that’s what he is good at

Guts may be a moot point if Dolson's boss absolutely says Archie's not to be terminated this year.  McRobbie's farewell gesture to IU maybe?

Ed Cooley would be a huge disappointment for me. 50% conference record in the Big East and has made it past the first round one time. I don’t even know how he is being mentioned other than an indication how far down the blue blood pole we have truly gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Guts may be a moot point if Dolson's boss absolutely says Archie's not to be terminated this year.  McRobbie's farewell gesture to IU maybe?

Who's in charge of terminating McRobbie then? 

3 minutes ago, jonz44 said:

Maybe it can be explained quickly here but I was going to start a thread called “McRobbie and his successor”

when is the Aussie gone officially and how is the next president chosen? What is that process and how do we try to make sure we get one that cares about athletic success and most importantly mens basketball success?

4 minutes ago, jonz44 said:

He was to have left at June 30, 2020 but the BOT asked him to stay another year because of the pandemic.  Currently, there's supposed to be a search underway for his successor to take office on July 1, of this year.  If there aren't further delays, we'll have a new president of the university and 2 new BOT members starting July 1.  

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He was to have left at June 30, 2020 but the BOT asked him to stay another year because of the pandemic.  Currently, there's supposed to be a search underway for his successor to take office on July 1, of this year.  If there aren't further delays, we'll have a new president of the university and 2 new BOT members starting July 1.  

That act of asking him to stay on another year might cost this school big time when it comes to this coaching situation

9 hours ago, lillurk said:

Among the realistic options here, I like Shrewsberry and Beilein. (I’d include Oats but his recent extension makes me think he’s unlikely.)

Just a hunch but I would bet high-major experience might be on the “must” list based on how the Archie experiment went — it’s one of the reasons I thought Holtmann was a better get in ‘17. Anyway, that would eliminate Shrewsberry, unfortunately.

Beilein turned the defense over to assistants (first Billy Donlon then Luke Yaklich) and generally seemed to empower assistants. It makes me think he could bridge well to a succession plan/head-coach-in-waiting at the end of his career. You’d have to gauge his rep after the Cavs debacle among the team and maybe current high schoolers, but I think HM experience, no buyout, clean as can be w/NCAAs...it’s easy to imagine.

Anyway, if high major or head coaching experience is a must this cycle, I get it. We could do much worse than Beilein. But Shrewsberry could be great.

Saturday's announcers where kind of pushing Beilein to coach somewhere.  Maybe it can happen here?  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Saturday's announcers where kind of pushing Beilein to coach somewhere.  Maybe it can happen here?  

I'd take Beilein in a heartbeat, even at his age.  I'd like for him to have an IU guy as an assistant and to transfer the knowledge he has of the game.  I think Beilein would win in his first couple of years, have it rolling by year 4 (early 70s) and then coach a few more years before turning it over to a coach in waiting.

Edit:  IU could (and probably will) do much dumber things than higher coach Beilein

I'd take Beilein in a heartbeat, even at his age.  I'd like for him to have an IU guy as an assistant and to transfer the knowledge he has of the game.  I think Beilein would win in his first couple of years, have it rolling by year 4 (early 70s) and then coach a few more years before turning it over to a coach in waiting.
Edit:  IU could (and probably will) do much dumber things than higher coach Beilein
My only hold up with Beilein is his age. If it were between him and a healthy Matta I take Matta.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk