Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

All this talk of middle of the line coaches. Yeah they will more than likely get us to the dance. 

But then we’re back at square 1. Why fire CTC then if we just want second round weekends and an occasional sweet 16?

sure it sounds better than where we’re currently at. But lateral moves will have us going in a circle. 

I don’t have any true suggestions on who should be the coach. We are in a really bad position overall, I just don’t know why a good coach at a good program would come here at this point. 

I can understand why you say that, but here's another way of looking at it:

We fired a legendary coach only a few months before basketball season.  Not a good point in the year to start and execute a coaching search.  Plus, a lot of coaches would be hesitant to follow a legend.  So we hired an assistant with no head coaching experience (in large part because certain players on the roster demanded it).  He flamed out.

We then hired a coach based on him being a minority (so the story goes).  He quickly had a repeat of NCAA rules violations and we fired him AND took steps that really decimated the roster.

We then hired a coach who took over and had to build from scratch.  Got us to the top of the conference and some moderate NCAA success, then backslide.  He was fired and we were left with APR issues.

Now we have a floundering team and a coach that doesn't seem to have the ability to turn it around.

IMO, the only case where we were in arguably better position was after Crean - and the coach we hired just didn't work out.  Not because he was a horrible choice (maybe not the best choice, IDK), at least not according to most in the basketball press or RMK himself.

We have a decent roster.  By all accounts the academics have been exemplary and there are no APR issues.  The biggest hinderance beyond several seasons of lackluster success is the buyout of the current coach.

We can get a good coach, albeit with no guarantees of success - there never is.  The AD and whoever is responsible can do it, but will they?

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Article is from Michigan’s insider site 

Ok. It’s reporting what Cooley said to a national writer, Goodman.

We don’t know. But the people most plugged in at UM didn’t report a Cooley offer, were on Howard the whole time, and laughed at the Cooley suggestion openly on their podcasts.

Just something to keep in mind if we have a coaching search starting in two weeks: high profile, high paying jobs are genuinely desirable to lots of candidates and ALSO a good way for folks to stay where they’re at and get paid

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Give me Ed Cooley. He was thisclose to getting the Michigan job over Howard. Price is fine, he’s only 51, and he is a special kind of really good guy.

He's the dude that split his suit pants during the tournament, right?  Threw a towel around it and rolled on.  Love that guy.

I’m sure Ed Cooley is a great coach but his resume at Providence is worse than Archie’s at Dayton was. I don’t know if there’s anything either advanced stat wise or just w/l record wise that would lead me to believe he’d have sustained high level success here. Feels like a big risk and half the fan base would be unhappy with him before he even coached a game. 

Cooley doesn’t move the needle. Well maybe the needle to where it’s at now, but basically we’re getting CTC with worse results in March. 

I wake up in a new world everyday, similar to a duck, to the thought of who we should hire next. 

Today I’m leaning Dane Fife. He’s got the recruiting, somewhat coaching experience, and he’s a Hoosier. 

The fact at hand is we’re going to be discussing this topic for another year more than likely. I guess we should all be doing our homework on teams this month in the tourney and any other young coaches. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I heard the podcast on the brink with Galen Clavio, and he made a good point about Archie. Said that Archie is far more a basketball coach than the head of a program. At IU you need to be both.

Really good point.  The only negative thing I saw any national people say about the Archie hire was that some felt his personality wouldn’t fit well at IU.  All he is worried about is coaching and they didn’t know how he would do at the other part of the job.  Most said Mack personality fit better for a job like IU’s 

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I heard the podcast on the brink with Galen Clavio, and he made a good point about Archie. Said that Archie is far more a basketball coach than the head of a program. At IU you need to be both.

And he's not even a good coach so... We didn't get anything. Which really sucks. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And he's not even a good coach so... We didn't get anything. Which really sucks. 

He actually is a good coach. He is in the lower middle of the toughest conference around. You have to be good to do that.  But we are not after good. We probably aren’t after really good either. We are after excellent and it is harder to hit excellent but i would have hoped to have found more really good coaches along the way.

4 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I think there is a big difference between the recruiting violations of Sampson and Drew. Sampson came into IU carrying the baggage of recently having been caught doing this and was under sanctions. He then proceeded to repeat the offense.  He took IU into the mud right away repeating the same violations right after having been caught.  His crime was multiplied because he also brought in a culture of kids more interested in selling drugs than going to class. 

Now let’s look at Drew. Like Sampson he got caught violating rules.  Did he repeat the crime right after and get caught again? No. Has he had reoccurring violations? No. 

Just because they committed the same violations does not mean their situations were similar. 

Of course he didn't repeat them since he was STILL AT THE SAME SCHOOL. In that regard the situations aren't totally analogous.

And, for the 3,768th time: I'm not "pro-Drew" or "anti-Drew" I'm simply trying to anticipate how the Admin and BOT would react to a potential Drew candidacy. Especially the ones who were around (if not actively involved in) the hiring and subsequent firing of Sampson. I seriously doubt if they'd have any appetite for conducting that experiment a 2nd time.

Maybe there aren't enough of those people involved any more for Drew's past to be an issue; it would definitely be interesting to know Dolson's take, not only on Drew, but also on the entire Sampson debacle itself.

39 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

He actually is a good coach. He is in the lower middle of the toughest conference around. You have to be good to do that.  But we are not after good. We probably aren’t after really good either. We are after excellent and it is harder to hit excellent but i would have hoped to have found more really good coaches along the way.

No that doesn't make you good. That makes makes you mediocre at best. Mediocre isn't good. 

20 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Of course he didn't repeat them since he was STILL AT THE SAME SCHOOL. In that regard the situations aren't totally analogous.

And, for the 3,768th time: I'm not "pro-Drew" or "anti-Drew" I'm simply trying to anticipate how the Admin and BOT would react to a potential Drew candidacy. Especially the ones who were around (if not actively involved in) the hiring and subsequent firing of Sampson. I seriously doubt if they'd have any appetite for conducting that experiment a 2nd time.

Maybe there aren't enough of those people involved any more for Drew's past to be an issue; it would definitely be interesting to know Dolson's take, not only on Drew, but also on the entire Sampson debacle itself.

Yeah I would love to know what Dolson feels about Drew regarding Hanner as well. Same for how he feels about Alford and PP. 

I guess we will find out based on who he shows interest in. 

9 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Yeah I would love to know what Dolson feels about Drew regarding Hanner as well. Same for how he feels about Alford and PP. 

I guess we will find out based on who he shows interest in. 

Don't know Dolson at all, so I guess I could envision him trying to "re-create" some history by hiring someone like Fife, OR wanting to go in a completely different direction, depending on how much $$$ he'd have to pursue some "name" w/ a proven track record

in the latter case, it potentially could also require waiting another year (not only for financial reasons, but perhaps due to "availability factors" related to certain specific candidates)

17 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Don't know Dolson at all, so I guess I could envision him trying to "re-create" some history by hiring someone like Fife, OR wanting to go in a completely different direction, depending on how much $$$ he'd have to pursue some "name" w/ a proven track record

in the latter case, it potentially could also require waiting another year (not only for financial reasons, but perhaps due to "availability factors" related to certain specific candidates)

I am not an insider by any means but have met Dolson 2-3 times over the last few years. This was before he was the AD but he seemed quiet, willing to work out of the limelight to make sure the events we were at flowed well. Compared to some ADs who like to have the camera on them.

Maybe that came from being a manager but I always go the impression he was an analytical, thoughtful guy who got things done. Does this mean he will analyze this well and make the right decision, who knows. I do feel better about him making the decision than Glass