Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Crean was plenty accomplished. His entire problem was  “weirddudeness”

Cooley wins at Providence with middling talent against teams with better talent and bigger budgets. He’s a notably great guy and competes hard. He almost had the UM job so he’s willing to move.

He’s not a “sexy” choice but I could give a flying fig about that.

Give me Ed Cooley. He will win at IU.

Yes he would. Terrific coach. I’m curious if he would have been willing to actually pull the trigger with Michigan had that offer come. The dude makes a couple of mil a year coaching in his hometown and for a school at which he is beloved and where the expectations are....manageable.  He might well be willing to leave, but it might be tough.

44 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Why isn't any talking Mick Cronin? He has been COY in three different conferences. Took both WKy and Cincy to multiple NCAA tournaments. Has faired well at UCLA. Coached under both Pitino and Huggins. Has one of the highest win percentages in college basketball. I seriously doubt he would leave UCLA, but think that he is a great coach.

If you want Cronin, you’re a hiring cycle late. He’s laid the groundwork for that program to really take off. Leaving now would be pretty nuts.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

I had Kruger in my list at one point based on the turn around a and high points but he also has some down years at each place where he falls to the bottom half of the league. For example, between 2013-2016 he had 3 years where they finished 2nd or 3rd at Oklahoma but then from 2017-2019 they went 9th, 8th and 7th. 

And in his down years finishing that low he still made the tournament.   All most people want is that in your down years you are still making the tournament or at least in the conversation.   

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yes he would. Terrific coach. I’m curious if he would have been willing to actually pull the trigger with Michigan had that offer come. The dude makes a couple of mil a year coaching in his hometown and for a school at which he is beloved and where the expectations are....manageable.  He might well be willing to leave, but it might be tough.

He did get offered and turned it down I believe.  I will try to find the article 

37 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Won’t be a popular hire but the people in the business knows he can flat out coach. Basketball diehard fans like me know he can coach.  One of my favorite coaches to follow.    FS1 did the mic the coach up the whole game a couple years ago and he was fantastic.   Cooley is from Providence so he is coaching at his dream job school.

If there is a change made at the end of the year(in my opinion not likely) then I would hope they would at least reach out  

Knowing how much college bball you watch, I find this line extremely sad. I can't for the life of me fathom he bring brought back with my expectations of how this season will end. Next year would be worse if we indeed lose TJD and if fans are allowed in the building, the boos would be deafening. 

51 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Go all out and give me Brad Stevens or save money to get Dane Fife. Scott Drew does nothing for me. No way he’s uniting the fan base.

Exactly. 

Brad Stevens or we’re full time football school! 

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

Knowing how much college bball you watch, I find this line extremely sad. I can't for the life of me fathom he bring brought back with my expectations of how this season will end. Next year would be worse if we indeed lose TJD and if fans are allowed in the building, the boos would be deafening. 

Basketball is a funny sport.  What sometimes on paper looks to be worse can sometimes turn out differently.   In reality if he is back next year none of us have any idea how the roster will look.  With free agency and TJD isn’t back who is to say a top grad transfer sees the available minutes and fills the spot.   Every year teams come out of nowhere  and teams underperform.   A couple years ago Oklahoma had Young and bunch of seniors from their final 4 team.  They squeaked in the tournament as 10 seed and lost.   On paper the next year losing those seniors and a top 10 Pick they should of been worse.   They ended up making the tournament comfortably and winning a game.   

All this talk of middle of the line coaches. Yeah they will more than likely get us to the dance. 

But then we’re back at square 1. Why fire CTC then if we just want second round weekends and an occasional sweet 16?

sure it sounds better than where we’re currently at. But lateral moves will have us going in a circle. 

I don’t have any true suggestions on who should be the coach. We are in a really bad position overall, I just don’t know why a good coach at a good program would come here at this point. 

Are you looking for a United fanbase as a result of the hire?  Probably only Brad, Bennett or Billy D can do that. Just about anyone else will have to do it on the court. Actually any candidate, even Brad, will still have to prove it on the court. We get Archie results from Brad Stevens and we will have issues. 

Billy isn’t leaving the Bulls, and as a Bulls fan, I’m thrilled about that. He’s even better than I realized; his post-game pressers are a breath of fresh air. Stevens. Matta. Beilein. This shouldn’t be so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

40 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Program doesn’t need a sexy hire, this program is at the stage where they need a program builder to come in and build a winner.  Build it back up.   Lon Kruger is another  coach that won’t be popular but has built winning programs everywhere he has went.  I think he has taken 5 different programs to the Dance.    

5 coaches in a 20 years is going to be bad look for any program what alone a program with the history of IU.   

Honestly IU moving forward is in a tough spot.   Interesting to see what Dolson does and I’m glad it’s not me making the decision.  Either way I’m tied to the program and not the coach and will support this program whichever way this is going 

Kruger is very good, but he’s 68. To me that’s a disqualifier. 

Cooley is 51.

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Basketball is a funny sport.  What sometimes on paper looks to be worse can sometimes turn out differently.   In reality if he is back next year none of us have any idea how the roster will look.  With free agency and TJD isn’t back who is to say a top grad transfer sees the available minutes and fills the spot.   Every year teams come out of nowhere  and teams underperform.   A couple years ago Oklahoma had Young and bunch of seniors from their final 4 team.  They squeaked in the tournament as 10 seed and lost.   On paper the next year losing those seniors and a top 10 Pick they should of been worse.   They ended up making the tournament comfortably and winning a game.   

That's fair, free agency could affect quite a bit, but I've heard Henry and Brooks named a lot here and I'm not entirely sure why they'd leave their current situations to join what has been a floundering IU squad. Time will tell, but transfers are typically looking for greener pastures which I'm not sure IU is at the moment. In the case of Henry in particular, he's being coached by a HoFer and gets plenty of playing time already, and the one benefit I can pinpoint is he'd be closer to home.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

All this talk of middle of the line coaches. Yeah they will more than likely get us to the dance. 

But then we’re back at square 1. Why fire CTC then if we just want second round weekends and an occasional sweet 16?

sure it sounds better than where we’re currently at. But lateral moves will have us going in a circle. 

I don’t have any true suggestions on who should be the coach. We are in a really bad position overall, I just don’t know why a good coach at a good program would come here at this point. 

You really think that guys like Kruger and Cooley are middle of the line coaches?

Very much disagree—those guys are both proven successes at top tier conferences.

Kruger is very good, but he’s 68. To me that’s a disqualifier. 
Cooley is 51.

Yea I want a younger coach someone who can be here for 30 years like knight. Hang a few banners. That guy is currently here but it has been more than a epic failure. Now I go with dane fife. I think we should have hired him last time around and we probably be right where we are now. Truth is there is no guarantee but closest thing to a guarantee is sticking with archie we are guaranteed to be bad imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Middle of the line coaches for a middle of the line program it would seem like 

9 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Cooley didn’t get offered the UM job and I’m pretty sure they weren’t very interested; they got their guy. The Cooley/UM chatter succeeded at his intended goal: getting him a raise

Providence coach Ed Cooley said it was “very, very hard” to turn down Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel for the basketball head coaching job.

Talking to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman on Goodman’s “Good ’N Plenty” podcast, Goodman talked about Michigan’s pursuit of Cooley, calling it a “hard, hard push.”

“Through my whole tenure at Providence, there really wasn’t a school that got me to at least consider [leaving],” Cooley said. “You know, there’s been some great opportunities that have been presented, but my whole thing is fit and and you know, not comfort, it’s fit. And I think so many people don’t look into fit and how they can have success knowing what they know how they know it.

But this Michigan opportunity, I had to listen to them. You know it wasn’t so much that you wanted to do it, I needed an opportunity to sit and talk with Warde, let’s face it, it’s one of the best athletic brands in all of college sports. So that’s how it came about.”

Cooley went on to say he knew Manuel from his time as athletic director at UConn, at the time a Big East rival for Providence.

“What a lovely person he is, Warde,” Cooley said. “Good dude, very jovial, very direct, extremely articulate.”

Goodman then asked Cooley how close he came to taking the Michigan job.

“Well, Warde made it really hard. Very, very hard,” Cooley said. “And there are some changes being made at Providence College, good changes, tough changes, what we’ve seen with the school and how it’s really grown. But Warde and Doug, his assistant, did a really good job pointing out the positives, pointing out where they’re trying to go. Obviously the Big Ten is a very good league, the coaches are very good coaches … But it was very, very difficult and at the end of the day, you come back to this: John Beilein, to me is one of the best coaches in all of sports in how he’s been successful at every stop he’s been at.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Providence coach Ed Cooley said it was “very, very hard” to turn down Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel for the basketball head coaching job.

Talking to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman on Goodman’s “Good ’N Plenty” podcast, Goodman talked about Michigan’s pursuit of Cooley, calling it a “hard, hard push.”

“Through my whole tenure at Providence, there really wasn’t a school that got me to at least consider [leaving],” Cooley said. “You know, there’s been some great opportunities that have been presented, but my whole thing is fit and and you know, not comfort, it’s fit. And I think so many people don’t look into fit and how they can have success knowing what they know how they know it.

Right...Cooley says he got the offer. Local media (mgoblog, Brendan Quinn of the Athletic, UMhoops) would differ. I’ll let you sort out who has a vested (literally, $, vested) interest in that claim. 

Anybody see the Tom Coughlin profile that the NFL Network ran during its "A Football Life" series? Like most of those programs, it was very interesting and very well done. It's not short -- 45 minutes or so. 

Tom's family and friends loved him. Media hated him. Players hated him. When he said a meeting was at 3 p.m., that meant you showed up at 2:50. And if you didn't, you got fined. And there were all sorts of archaic, old-school rules for which fines were levied.

Finally, his family had an "intervention." They said, "Hey, you're a fine, loving, caring man. But we're the only ones who see that. Why don't you let others see it, too -- because you can't continue the way you are, or you never will have success." 

Tom made a monumental change, lightened up and won two Super Bowls. Michael Strahan said he went from hating the man to loving him and if he hadn't retired, wouldn't have wanted to play for anyone else. 

I don't know that Archie's a real hard-@$$, but I do think there's a real disconnect with his players. There seems to be no relationship. Or a very fractured one. At least that's how it appears on the surface. When players quit -- like against Rutgers and Michigan -- that indicates more problems than just X's and O's and personnel. If you don't like your coach, you sure as hell aren't gonna fight for him when the chips are down. 

Wouldn't it be something if Archie was given another year, underwent a Tom Coughlin-like transformation, created a LEO-like atmosphere within the hoops like program and started winning? I don't think we have the greatest players in the world, but I do think we have enough talent to be more competitive than we have been. We showed that against Iowa. 

I don't why, but I like Archie. I wish he'd succeed. But at the same point, I do realize we're slipping further and further into the abyss and something needs to be done ... 

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Right...Cooley says he got the offer. Local media (mgoblog, Brendan Quinn of the Athletic, UMhoops) would differ. I’ll let you sort out who has a vested (literally, $, vested) interest in that claim. 

Article is from Michigan’s insider site