Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I took a break from this thread cause I honestly feel that IU is in a tough spot and there’s not a great, realistic option out there...but you guys have got me thinking.

Love Scott Drew. He’s probably the closest thing we could get to a home run hire, just not sure if either or both of Dolson/Drew would agree.

I never considered it, but kudos to whoever suggested Mark Jackson. IMO he deserves more credit for the creation of the Splash Brothers/Warriors success. Not sure if we’d do it, or if he’d be interested (broadcasting is a great gig); but man, that’d get me excited.

I agree that Bennet/Wright/Oats/Donovan/Few are pipe dreams. 2% chance for Stevens.

I don’t hate the idea of Hurley....musselman could be interesting but I don’t love it this year. I like Scheyer but doubt he’d go for it.

Thoughts on Travis Steele? Ed Cooley?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

There is a reason why Marc Jackson hasn’t been hired since his stint as the Warriors HC. We don’t need to even consider him as he has no ties to college basketball let alone Indiana University. 

Our best hope would be to hire a youngster and hope for the best. A big name isn’t going to come here to a dying program. 

Why isn't any talking Mick Cronin? He has been COY in three different conferences. Took both WKy and Cincy to multiple NCAA tournaments. Has faired well at UCLA. Coached under both Pitino and Huggins. Has one of the highest win percentages in college basketball. I seriously doubt he would leave UCLA, but think that he is a great coach.

1 minute ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Why isn't any talking Mick Cronin? He has been COY in three different conferences. Took both WKy and Cincy to multiple NCAA tournaments. Has faired well at UCLA. Coached under both Pitino and Huggins. Has one of the highest win percentages in college basketball. I seriously doubt he would leave UCLA, but think that he is a great coach.

Cause he’s at a blue blood making $4 million per year

26 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I took a break from this thread cause I honestly feel that IU is in a tough spot and there’s not a great, realistic option out there...but you guys have got me thinking.

Love Scott Drew. He’s probably the closest thing we could get to a home run hire, just not sure if either or both of Dolson/Drew would agree.

I never considered it, but kudos to whoever suggested Mark Jackson. IMO he deserves more credit for the creation of the Splash Brothers/Warriors success. Not sure if we’d do it, or if he’d be interested (broadcasting is a great gig); but man, that’d get me excited.

I agree that Bennet/Wright/Oats/Donovan/Few are pipe dreams. 2% chance for Stevens.

I don’t hate the idea of Hurley....musselman could be interesting but I don’t love it this year. I like Scheyer but doubt he’d go for it.

Thoughts on Travis Steele? Ed Cooley?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

How can you not like the new coach threads?  Despite our differences preferences these have been our most unifying threads lol. 

have we seen enough of Steele? Just looking at his results it seems to be an average start but nothing to blow me away. Same for Cooley. I admit though that I really don’t pay much attention to those guys. I have seen Cooley mentioned a couple times now so what am i missing that makes him even a long shot candidate?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Go all out and give me Brad Stevens or save money to get Dane Fife. Scott Drew does nothing for me. No way he’s uniting the fan base.

Are you looking for a United fanbase as a result of the hire?  Probably only Brad, Bennett or Billy D can do that. Just about anyone else will have to do it on the court. Actually any candidate, even Brad, will still have to prove it on the court. We get Archie results from Brad Stevens and we will have issues. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Give me Ed Cooley

Won’t be a popular hire but the people in the business knows he can flat out coach. Basketball diehard fans like me know he can coach.  One of my favorite coaches to follow.    FS1 did the mic the coach up the whole game a couple years ago and he was fantastic.   Cooley is from Providence so he is coaching at his dream job school.

If there is a change made at the end of the year(in my opinion not likely) then I would hope they would at least reach out  

Just now, 8bucks said:

Why?  Just looking at results and he seems less accomplished than Archie and Crean 

Crean was plenty accomplished. His entire problem was  “weirddudeness”

Cooley wins at Providence with middling talent against teams with better talent and bigger budgets. He’s a notably great guy and competes hard. He almost had the UM job so he’s willing to move.

He’s not a “sexy” choice but I could give a flying fig about that.

Give me Ed Cooley. He will win at IU.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Won’t be a popular hire but the people in the business knows he can flat out coach. Basketball diehard fans like me know he can coach.  One of my favorite coaches to follow.    FS1 did the mic the coach up the whole game a couple years ago and he was fantastic.   Cooley is from Providence so he is coaching at his dream job school.

If there is a change made at the end of the year(in my opinion not likely) then I would hope they would at least reach out  

If he was at his dream school he wouldn’t have gone to the final two for the UM job.

He’s “gettable” and he’d be a freakin awesome hire.

My new number one choice. With some IU guy like Roberts or Lewis on the bench.

Give me Ed Cooley 

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Cooley wins at Providence with middling talent against teams with better talent and bigger budgets. He’s a notably great guy and competes hard. He almost had the UM job so he’s willing to move.

Program doesn’t need a sexy hire, this program is at the stage where they need a program builder to come in and build a winner.  Build it back up.   Lon Kruger is another  coach that won’t be popular but has built winning programs everywhere he has went.  I think he has taken 5 different programs to the Dance.    

5 coaches in a 20 years is going to be bad look for any program what alone a program with the history of IU.   

Honestly IU moving forward is in a tough spot.   Interesting to see what Dolson does and I’m glad it’s not me making the decision.  Either way I’m tied to the program and not the coach and will support this program whichever way this is going 

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When IU hired Crean he'd never finished better than 4th in a major conference, got past the 2nd round once, and missed the tourney almost as much as he made it.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Program doesn’t need a sexy hire, this program is at the stage where they need a program builder to come in and build a winner.  Build it back up.   Lon Kruger is another  coach that won’t be popular but has built winning programs everywhere he has went.  I think he has taken 5 different programs to the Dance.    

5 coaches in a 20 years is going to be bad look for any program what alone a program with history of IU.   

Honestly IU moving forward is in a tough spot.   Interesting to see what Dolson does and I’m glad it’s not me making the decision.  Either way I’m tied to the program and not the coach and will support this program whichever way this is going 

I had Kruger in my list at one point based on the turn around a and high points but he also has some down years at each place where he falls to the bottom half of the league. For example, between 2013-2016 he had 3 years where they finished 2nd or 3rd at Oklahoma but then from 2017-2019 they went 9th, 8th and 7th.