Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, rcs29 said:

Would Mark Jackson have any desire to coach college ball? Only tie is the Pacers. He would probably be a recruit magnet. Can't stand listening to him call games though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I would hope not. Some of the rumors of how he ran the warriors would make him one of the last people I’d want coaching college kids.

I would hope not. Some of the rumors of how he ran the warriors would make him one of the last people I’d want coaching college kids.
Hadn't really heard anything. Someone just brought NBA guys and I know he wants to get back into coaching although maybe not college. What were the rumors?

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Would Mark Jackson have any desire to coach college ball? Only tie is the Pacers. He would probably be a recruit magnet. Can't stand listening to him call games though.

Could he be our Pete Carroll? Someone who for some reason or another, didn't work out as pro coach, so dips his toes in the college ranks, resuscitates a moribund blue-blood program and has huge success? (I could do without the boosters buying the star player's family a home, however.) 

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Hadn't really heard anything. Someone just brought NBA guys and I know he wants to get back into coaching although maybe not college. What were the rumors?

Just things like he created a really toxic environment and tried to pin different people in the front office against each other. I think there was a rumor that he made Festus Ezeli cry since he told the rest of the team that he was rooting against them while he was injured. Just a lot of things like that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mark-jackson-says-warriors-narrative-has-kept-him-from-second-coaching-chance-but-its-a-lot-more-than-that/amp/

Just things like he created a really toxic environment and tried to pin different people in the front office against each other. I think there was a rumor that he made Festus Ezeli cry since he told the rest of the team that he was rooting against them while he was injured. Just a lot of things like that.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mark-jackson-says-warriors-narrative-has-kept-him-from-second-coaching-chance-but-its-a-lot-more-than-that/amp/
Yeah I just read that article. Some weird manipulation stuff. Idk I could see him being very attractive to big time recruits. I'm not advocating for him or anything but could he be someone to kick the tires on?

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

1. Scott Drew
2. Thad Matta
3. Steve Alford
4. Dane Fife
5. Casey Alexander
6. Bruce Pearl
7. Nate Oats
8. Mike Tonagel
9. Rick Barnes
10. John Belien

These are the one's which are deemed realistic (by various posters) I've seen the most. You could add Beard, Stevens and Donovan if you feel they are realistic. Certainly open to changes but this gets it started anyhow.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Tonagel and Barnes Are not realistic choices in any way  whatsoever. Oats just got an extension with a massive buyout, so I can’t imagine he’s realistic either.

Add Smith, Devries, Altman. Probably could add Shrewsberry and Moser, and maybe even Musselman. 

Among the realistic options here, I like Shrewsberry and Beilein. (I’d include Oats but his recent extension makes me think he’s unlikely.)

Just a hunch but I would bet high-major experience might be on the “must” list based on how the Archie experiment went — it’s one of the reasons I thought Holtmann was a better get in ‘17. Anyway, that would eliminate Shrewsberry, unfortunately.

Beilein turned the defense over to assistants (first Billy Donlon then Luke Yaklich) and generally seemed to empower assistants. It makes me think he could bridge well to a succession plan/head-coach-in-waiting at the end of his career. You’d have to gauge his rep after the Cavs debacle among the team and maybe current high schoolers, but I think HM experience, no buyout, clean as can be w/NCAAs...it’s easy to imagine.

Anyway, if high major or head coaching experience is a must this cycle, I get it. We could do much worse than Beilein. But Shrewsberry could be great.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Alexander -- not realistic. We're gonna go from an Atlantic 10 coach to an Ohio Valley coach? Meh. 
Pearl -- not realistic. Due to his past, he would never pass muster with the Trustees. 
Tonagel -- We're gonna go from an Atlantic 10 coach to an NAIA coach? C'mon. 
Oats -- just signed a big contract extension. Probably not realistic. 

I agree Pearl likely wouldn't make it past the trustees, and Tonagel's resume isn't worthy, but I disagree that they other two are unrealistic. Alexander is going to get his shot, and soon. What he did at Lipscomb was impressive, and then to go and do it immediately at Belmont too. On Oats, just not sure his buyout is that big of barrier if they truly wanted him.

29 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Yeah I just read that article. Some weird manipulation stuff. Idk I could see him being very attractive to big time recruits. I'm not advocating for him or anything but could he be someone to kick the tires on?

If people can’t stand listening to him call a game, that says a lot to me about his inability to be relatable, likeable so I don’t see that translating well to recruiting 

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree Pearl likely wouldn't make it past the trustees, and Tonagel's resume isn't worthy, but I disagree that they other two are unrealistic. Alexander is going to get his shot, and soon. What he did at Lipscomb was impressive, and then to go and do it immediately at Belmont too. On Oats, just not sure his buyout is that big of barrier if they truly wanted him.

Yeah if Oats is available/interested then he’d be my preference

If people can’t stand listening to him call a game, that says a lot to me about his inability to be relatable, likeable so I don’t see that translating well to recruiting 
That's just for me personally. Apparently many do like him as he's been a mainstay there the last few years.

45 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

IDK. I think the whole religion thing is probably overblown. And Scalabrine sounds like a women scorned. He even eludes to blowback to Jackson, in an almost threatening way.

Not saying I want Jackson, or he'd be a good coach at IU, but it all sounds click bait opinion type of stuff.

Never heard of the writer.

Feel like NBA experience and partial responsibility for the development of Steph Curry could make up for his deficiencies as an announcer in the recruiting world.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Feel like NBA experience and partial responsibility for the development of Steph Curry could make up for his deficiencies as an announcer in the recruiting world.

He does carry the NBA trifecta. Player, coach and broadcaster. Not a soul that plays basketball does not know who he is.

He does carry the NBA trifecta. Player, coach and broadcaster. Not a soul that plays basketball does not know who he is.

Another thing I think would be interesting about Jackson is I’m sure he’d run a completely different system than Archie has. Would be an interesting shakeup back to 21st century basketball.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Alexander may get his shot, but I would guess there's a less than 2 percent chance it's at IU. No offense to anyone, but you don't go from coaching at Belmont to coaching at IU. Four or five years after hiring an Atlantic-10 coach that didn't work out -- if/when a decision is made to move on from Archie -- you're advocating for an Ohio Valley Conference coach. That's going to be a tough, if not impossible, sell to trustees, boosters and the fan base. Granted, the fans aren't in on the process, but I can't see a whole lot of people getting on board with that. 

Oates' buyout is $12.6 million. So you're talking $22.6 million just to fire one coach and hire another. Don't see that happening. 

14 hours ago, Magisterium said:

It's not just "recruiting issues" with Drew. He basically did the same thing IU fired Sampson for FWIW. In the end, he was actually suspended (briefly).

Now, perhaps the people most in favor of Sampson's dismissal are no longer within the decision-making circle, in which case Drew might get a pass. But if they are still there, I'd doubt if Drew would even get an interview.

I think there is a big difference between the recruiting violations of Sampson and Drew. Sampson came into IU carrying the baggage of recently having been caught doing this and was under sanctions. He then proceeded to repeat the offense.  He took IU into the mud right away repeating the same violations right after having been caught.  His crime was multiplied because he also brought in a culture of kids more interested in selling drugs than going to class. 

Now let’s look at Drew. Like Sampson he got caught violating rules.  Did he repeat the crime right after and get caught again? No. Has he had reoccurring violations? No. 

Just because they committed the same violations does not mean their situations were similar. 

44 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Alexander may get his shot, but I would guess there's a less than 2 percent chance it's at IU. No offense to anyone, but you don't go from coaching at Belmont to coaching at IU. Four years or five years after hiring an Atlantic-10 coach that didn't work out -- if/when a decision is made to move on from Archie -- you're advocating for an Ohio Valley Conference coach. That's going to be a tough, if not impossible, sell to trustees, boosters and the fan base. Granted, the fans aren't in on the process, but I can't see a whole lot of people getting on board with that. 

I agree it's unlikely that IU is his first shot, but someone will roll the dice on him. 

That said, we also need to be honest about how attractive IU is right now. Blue blood name, but we haven't been a blue blood on the court in a long time. And several of the names being floated around, like Drew for instance... He's a god right now at Baylor. TX may be a football state, and Baylor might not have the BB history, but it's not close to a no-brainer move for him coming to a team like IU. I could see several guys from top of AD's list say "no thanks". And I'd take Alexander over a lot of the meh names that might make the list from bigger schools. It could very well happen that we need to roll the dice. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Yeah, Scott isn’t hiring Drew people. Not after the Hanner situation. Scott was here for all of that mess. 

Gotta be honest -- the "Scott" and "Drew" bit threw me for a loop. I kept thinking "Scott is Drew." Then I realized the "Scott" in this instance is Dolson. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, however. 

giphy.gif

What is it about Brad Stevens that makes him the home run hire?  (Note: he is my top candidate as well)

If we hire a coach from the college ranks we all seem to prefer someone who has had success in a major conference. Stevens coached Butler for 5 years in the Horizon League and 1 season in the Atlantic 10. He won his conference 4/6 years but he never coached in a major conference and had to experience that grind. 

NCAA tournament success is another factor we want. Some cite coaches like Scott Drew and his lack of NCAA tournament success. Stevens had 2 incredible runs at Butler where they reached the NCAA championship in back to back years. They lost on a last second miss to Duke the first year but struggled against UConn the following year. He made the tournament 5 of his 6 years coaching and other than the 2 incredible runs he was 2-3. 

In the NBA he has coached Boston for 7 years and reached the conference finals 3 times. While the team has had several top 5 lottery picks during these 7 years the team led by journeyman 5’9” Isaiah Thomas was probably his strongest team. 

Does his success in the NBA correlate to coaching in a major college conference. I think that is a fair argument except he has not bee responsible for building his roster the last 7 years.  

I think he is the top candidate by far but landing him does not guarantee NCAA championships. I think it does translate into the highest likelihood of having strong teams year after year that can compete for championships though.