Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I’ve seen people suggest Mark Pope from BYU around the internet so I decided to look him up. Definitely not my first choice but could be a nice fall back. Only two years at BYU but had a top 15 team last year and has another top 30 team this year. Won a title at Kentucky as a player. 

3 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I’ve seen people suggest Mark Pope from BYU around the internet so I decided to look him up. Definitely not my first choice but could be a nice fall back. Only two years at BYU but had a top 15 team last year and has another top 30 team this year. Won a title at Kentucky as a player. 

Born and raised a devout Mormon. I wonder if he’s already in his dream job?

He asked for a list of 5-10 realistic candidates. Problem is that is an incredibly subjective lost for every individual and to get a collective agreed upon list of 10 on here would be damn near impossible. I went with names I remember seeing the most not the names I like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Does IU have any ties ti Scott Drew? With he and his family growing up in Indiana I can’t imagine there aren’t some relationships there that can be leveraged to gather interest from him without making anything public.

I would give him a shot without hesitation. He restored Baylor much like Crean did IU but he has sustained it and actually still getting better every year

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Does IU have any ties ti Scott Drew? With he and his family growing up in Indiana I can’t imagine there aren’t some relationships there that can be leveraged to gather interest from him without making anything public.

I would give him a shot without hesitation. He restored Baylor much like Crean did IU but he has sustained it and actually still getting better every year

He also is making a relatively doable salary currently 

7 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Aside from being born in Valpo, and going to Butler, no real ties to IU that I'm aware for either him, or his dad.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He also is making a relatively doable salary currently 

For me, he seems like the best and most reasonably realistic choice.

no idea if he would come but it seems very attainable and a very good hire. I think he is the best college coach out there that would make sense for him and IU

5 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Matta, Beard, Drew, in that order for me. 

Beard is a very good coach that wins. Winning is fun but his style is also very very slow and kinda boring. He and Bennet are the two snooziest winners

I do not want Scott Drew.  I've seen enough written/posted about him over the years that makes me want to stay away.

The Hanner Perea deportation threat did not happen without his knowledge.  I can't back that up with evidence, but I don't believe for a second their coaching staff wasn't doing whatever it took to get someone they saw as the next Ekpe Udoh.

He's been at Baylor since Mike Davis was coaching at IU.  He's never had a deep tournament run in that time, only having gone to the Elite 8 twice, and none since 2011/2012 season.

If you remove his first 4 years, which seems reasonable given what he inherited, he's had double digit losses 9 times out of 14 seasons.

Yeah he's doing well the last 2 years, but his resume does not indicate he's capable of the long-term success we all want.