Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Not advocating IU shouldn't try, but he left for the League in part because he was tired of the grind of college recruiting, he's done very well in the NBA and there's really no reason to think he'd want to leave Boston to return to coach IU. Not trying to give anyone a hard time, just don't see the reason to think there's any actual chance here.

Not saying this is right, but would recruiting at IU as a coach with his pro resume be "easier" than recruiting at Butler as an unknown?  Can't he get top flight assistants who could do most of the groundwork in recruiting?  Isn't Bloomington a better place too live with better cost of living than Boston?  Can't he make as much here as in the NBA (factor in taxes and cost of living)?  Won't players "listen" to him in college vs tune him out in the NBA (going on currently???)?     Seems like there are pros/cons to each job.  Not sure what he would currently think of the opportunity, but if you are in charge of IU basketball you have to come up with a strong case and make THE PITCH.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup--I love him as a commentator, and sometimes (like yesterday) I love him on the radio. But when he trolls for drama via name-calling and being condescending to callers, I wince. Calling Romeo a "shoe guy" is fine! Calling Archie Little Archie not so much.

I would agree with you. Love him majority of the time. He and Tirico were awesome when they did Big Ten games. I even enjoy him on the radio most of the time. I don't like it when he hangs up on callers mid-sentence. He made fun of a guy that wanted to email Dolson to "keep an eye on the situation in Boston". Dakich ripped him up. I know it sounds silly, but just it's just a passionate fan. No need to bash the guy. 

If Brad Stevens is your dream coach, you let him finish the season with the Celtics, then bring him to IU. Who cares if it's May or June. This is your coach for the next 25 years.
I don't think Dolson wants to hire one of his best friends, it would be awkward if he has to fire him. Steve even said as much in one of the podcasts. Hoosier Hysterics I believe. 
I like Chris Beard too, great name. But Stuhoo has convinced me he's not leaving Texas. 
If I'm adding someone I'm adding Eric Musselman. 
I'm going with Fife with a staff of Lewis, Roberts, Hunter, Guyton has a director of basketball operations. 
Your points on Stevens and Alford are both very good. You take Brad in August if that's what it takes. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to fire a good friend of mine. I've had to fire grown as men that I didn't know outside of work and that was tough enough for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Not advocating IU shouldn't try, but he left for the League in part because he was tired of the grind of college recruiting, he's done very well in the NBA and there's really no reason to think he'd want to leave Boston to return to coach IU. Not trying to give anyone a hard time, just don't see the reason to think there's any actual chance here.

The recruiting thing is a myth that a lot of people spread. Dan Patrick flat out asked him if he left college because of the recruiting. He said no I love recruiting. He's been asked that two or three times and each time he said he likes recruiting. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Stevens himself has refuted that claim about recruiting.

Just now, Chris007 said:

The recruiting thing is a myth that a lot of people spread. Dan Patrick flat out asked him if he left college because of the recruiting. He said no I love recruiting. He's been asked that two or three times and each time he said he likes recruiting. 

I think it's possible Brad just wanted to be the Boston Celtics Head Coach. It's hard to say no to that. He probably grew up a Larry Bird fan. Boston is a dream job for any basketball coach at any level. 

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Your points on Stevens and Alford are both very good. You take Brad in August if that's what it takes. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to fire a good friend of mine. I've had to fire grown as men that I didn't know outside of work and that was tough enough for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

YES!! I would take Brad in November a day before the season starts if that is what it takes to get him. 

13 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

So how many coaches have won a championship in the NBA and since Stevens has been coaching Boston? I hear what you're saying but seriously, he's considered one of the best by many in the League. I don't know about taking the League by storm, but he's been pretty successful so far and the front office loves him. He stepped into an at best mediocre team, and by year 3 finished 48 and 34. He hasn't had a single season since with less than 48 wins. Not one. 2017 EC Finals, 2018 EC Finals, 2019 EC Semis, 2020 EC Finals. He's alright. :) 

As an NBA fan.. the eastern conference has been a cake walk the past 10 years. It was basically LeBron vs whoever made it out the other side of the bracket. 

And he coaches at Boston. Danny Ainge said it himself this week, they are all about winning. Not winning the ECF isn’t winning. Regular season wins don’t matter in Boston. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think it's possible Brad just wanted to be the Boston Celtics Head Coach. It's hard to say no to that. He probably grew up a Larry Bird fan. Boston is a dream job for any basketball coach at any level. 

I'm sure he was also intrigued by testing his skills at the highest level....look at football.  Nick Saban and now Urban Meyer both taking their shots...same with Pete Carroll.  Maybe he will/has decided he prefers the NBA life??  Maybe he also decides he prefers the college life?  You at least have to make a serious offer and have him turn you down.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Dakich from TWO YEARS AGO:

If you combine this with his podcast from yesterday, which I am about halfway through, do we have confidence IU will allow our coach to coach players hard?  To bench kids?  DD said a ton yesterday but he did make that point too and if the school won’t allow it are we stuck. 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

As an NBA fan.. the eastern conference has been a cake walk the past 10 years. It was basically LeBron vs whoever made it out the other side of the bracket. 

And he coaches at Boston. Danny Ainge said it himself this week, they are all about winning. Not winning the ECF isn’t winning. Regular season wins don’t matter in Boston. 

Yes and no -- I'm an NBA fan too. Everyone that runs into LBJ runs into LBJ, doesn't change that Boston has been good under Stevens and he's highly regarded as one of the best in the League. All of this is fair, not trying to say otherwise, but there's just no realistic reason to think he's about to jump back into the college game, just because he's finally having a bad season, so far. There's really just nothing there. 

Love him as a commentator, can't stand him on the radio or social media. My problem with him is a few things. He contradicts himself all the time, and if you point it out, he gets mad. He calls people names Little Archie, and things like that. You do those things because you don't have a point. 
Do you agree with him that it has to be an IU guy as the next coach? Do you agree that it most likely has to Alford like he does?

The Little Archie thing isn’t my style, but I’m tough and not sensitive. If he calls me Little WayneFleek, I shrug, then I go prove myself and put it in his face. I think he namecalls, because to him it’s his motivational tactic. Tough kids can be named called and it fuels the fire. Like a boxer getting slapped by his trainer.

To the callers he may namecall, I don’t know because I don’t always listen but I’m sure he calls it like he sees it. Some people are pompously wrong.

I DON’T think it needs to be Indiana guy. I’d actually rather it not be to be honest. But I’d love all the support staff being Indiana guys if the fit is right. I don’t want Alford. I think he’d do similar to Crean/Archie.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Me personally, I’d love the scouting, ranking priorities, and even the recruiting. But I could do without the bagmen, shoe companies, agents, helicopter parents, etc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Cousins, girlfriends, guy friends, the need to text them at least every other day to remind them how much you care, etc, etc, etc.

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Love him as a commentator, can't stand him on the radio or social media. My problem with him is a few things. He contradicts himself all the time, and if you point it out, he gets mad. He calls people names Little Archie, and things like that. You do those things because you don't have a point. 

Do you agree with him that it has to be an IU guy as the next coach? Do you agree that it most likely has to Alford like he does?

The contradiction is what bothers me. I admittedly don't listen to him much, but it's apparent even the little I do (and on Twitter). Which is a shame b/c I think he actually makes some good points here and there and I like him as a commentator too. But his whole persona of just ranting and saying things loudly and every sentence is "Look I'm just gonna tell ya...and if you can't see it I can't help ya." or "Hey if you're gonna tell me this then kiss my @$$." It's exactly how you get people who need something to latch on to...to latch on. Provocative, edgy, angry man yelling at wall....whatever. The fanbase is unhappy and that's an easy thing to listen to and think....yeah, yeah what he said! I'm not even knocking anyone who agrees with him. I just can't stand how he goes about it (which I'm sure makes me a soft blogger boy b/c if you don't like how he goes about it then I'm just one of the people who doesn't get it and he can't help). Add in the contradiction and it often becomes a big eye roll.