Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

Same. If we hire an IU guy I'd rather it be someone from the professional ranks, such as Lawrence Frank. The idea of Alford or Fife horrifies me. 

What about Mike Woodsen as head coach, Mike Lewis associate head coach. I would still pass but something like that I could see people wanting. 

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You have to remember that the former players Dakich, Wittman, Kitchel, Odle have all been lobbying for an IU guy the last two hires. They don't feel like their voices are being heard. So that is why I think you hear more of an IU guy voice this time. I do think it will take a special person to succeed here but I don't know much. I thought Archie was a good hire, Tom Allen was a bad hire and was completely wrong on both. 

But you weren't really "wrong". None of us know the future and while I wasn't pleased with hiring Archie, it wasn't an obviously bad choice.

As others have said, with slightly different timing I bet O$U woulda taken him in a heartbeat. 

Allen was a risk- but IU football was in a position to take that risk and for ONCE it paid off. 

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

But you weren't really "wrong". None of us know the future and while I wasn't pleased with hiring Archie, it wasn't an obviously bad choice.

As others have said, with slightly different timing I bet O$U woulda taken him in a heartbeat. 

Allen was a risk- but IU football was in a position to take that risk and for ONCE it paid off. 

So your saying I still have a chance of being an AD or GM someday?

6 minutes ago, IUCane said:

If just based on wants and not reality...think
1 Stevens
2 Donovan

3 Wright

4 Few

5 Bennet

6 Beard

7 Pitino

8 Matta

If that happens I'm marching to B-town with a pitchfork and torch. He is the most vile scum on earth and that is being polite. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

If a home run is not available then, Fife still will be. 

So you just set Fife or any other coach back another year as recruiting will be hurt after a poor recruiting haul. Making the change this year at least a gives the new coach a solid base of to be sophs to build around and start getting his guys in. 

47 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You have to remember that the former players Dakich, Wittman, Kitchel, Odle have all been lobbying for an IU guy the last two hires. They don't feel like their voices are being heard. So that is why I think you hear more of an IU guy voice this time. I do think it will take a special person to succeed here but I don't know much. I thought Archie was a good hire, Tom Allen was a bad hire and was completely wrong on both. 

2 things here: 1) So many people only define “their voices being heard” as “follow my suggestion.” I’m confident Glass heard them. The problem is they didn’t, and still don’t, have a legit candidate. So, as far as I’m concerned, they can take a seat. 2) You and me both on CTA. Have always believed if you’re hiring a guy no one else would hire, you’re the one who’s usually wrong. Happy as hell to be wrong on that one.

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

So you just set Fife or any other coach back another year as recruiting will be hurt after a poor recruiting haul. Making the change this year at least a gives the new coach a solid base of to be sophs to build around and start getting his guys in. 

Or it could be a complete bust* while Brad Stevens takes over Butler again next year after deciding to leave the NBA. Yeah I know the odds are super slim but I'm not worried about hiring a bozo this year compared to next year. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

2 things here: 1) So many people only define “their voices being heard” as “follow my suggestion.” I’m confident Glass heard them. The problem is they didn’t, and still don’t, have a legit candidate. So, as far as I’m concerned, they can take a seat. 2) You and me both on CTA. Have always believed if you’re hiring a guy no one else would hire, you’re the one who’s usually wrong. Happy as hell to be wrong on that one.

I thought Tom Allen was a decent choice when hired. He had potential upside for sure. You could tell he had a passion about him and would bring juice to a program. At the very least he wouldn’t be boring. He also had a lot of good connections and knows how to coach some defense. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Or it could be a complete bust* while Brad Stevens takes over Butler again next year after deciding to leave the NBA. Yeah I know the odds are super slim but I'm not worried about hiring a bozo this year compared to next year. 

Archie Miller is a bust. So staying the course isn’t a better option. Stevens comes this your just as likely as next. It’s about the sales pitch. Think it’s slim to none either way with him. 

My thoughts on how it could go...not necessarily how I want it to go. 

IF Indiana loses out the rest of the year, I think Archie is gone. I don't care what the buyout is, the program would make a change. I'm thinking these guys realistically. 

1) Brad Stevens is the first choice. 4 years ago he was in a good spot with Boston. Now, not so much. I could see this happening. Question is would he resign in late March/early April? Could Boston fire him soon? Their season ends sometime in May. 

2) If it doesn't workout with Stevens I think it is either Steve Alford or Dane Fife. I'm not crazy about either one, but it could be time they give an Indiana alum a chance. Considering Dolson was Alford's roommate I think this is right now the bet I would place on the person to be our next coach. I'm not 100% crazy about it. There were off the court issues at Iowa if I remember right. 

I would love to see Chris Beard at Indiana. I just think he is a "Texas guy" and wouldn't leave. He's in a better situation at Texas Tech right now. Indiana is not a better job than that. Tony Bennett and Scott Drew are in the same situation. Their job is simply better than Indiana's right now.  

Another name I will throw out there..Nate Oats. I think he would bring toughness to Indiana. Really eager to see what his team does in March. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

IF Indiana loses out the rest of the year, I think Archie is gone. I don't care what the buyout is, the program would make a change. I'm thinking these guys realistically. 

1) Brad Stevens is the first choice. 4 years ago he was in a good spot with Boston. Now, not so much. I could see this happening. Question is would he resign in late March/early April? Could Boston fire him soon? Their season ends sometime in May. 

2) If it doesn't workout with Stevens I think it is either Steve Alford or Dane Fife. I'm not crazy about either one, but it could be time they give an Indiana alum a chance. Considering Dolson was Alford's roommate I think this is right now the bet I would place on the person to be our next coach. I'm not 100% crazy about it. There were off the court issues at Iowa if I remember right. 

I would love to see Chris Beard at Indiana. I just think he is a "Texas guy" and wouldn't leave. He's in a better situation at Texas Tech right now. Indiana is not a better job than that. Tony Bennett and Scott Drew are in the same situation. Their job is simply better than Indiana's right now.  

Another name I will throw out there..Nate Oats. I think he would bring toughness to Indiana. Really eager to see what his team does in March. 

Realistic. If Alford to IU was on DraftKings I'd put a pretty penny on it. He's going to win a lot of fans back with that hire but he's going to lose some of us as well, including your's truly. 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Realistic. If Alford to IU was on DraftKings I'd put a pretty penny on it. He's going to win a lot of fans back with that hire but he's going to lose some of us as well, including your's truly. 

Yes..all I'm saying is I think Alford is the "favorite". I think he could recruit the state well (however that doesn't mean crap after the last four years.) I think he would have more success than Archie for sure. I just think our ceiling would be like what Indiana was under Crean:

Year 1 and 2: mediocre

Year 3: A team talented enough to win a championship but underachieves in March. Rinse and repeat. 

I know lots on here don't like Dakich, but he makes some good points. I am curious to see how an Indiana guy would do. Purdue and Michigan are doing well with Alums coaching. Izzo and Gard are Michigan State and Wisconsin guys. 

Whatever hire is made in the future (I do think it's a matter of when not if) I just hope the fan base lets it play out. Could you imagine if Twitter and BTown Banners were around in 1971 when Indiana hired Knight? I don't know if many of us would have approved of it. I thought for the most part the fan base thought Archie was a good hire. He's been a massive bust-probably one of the biggest in college basketball history. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If Brad Stevens is your dream coach, you let him finish the season with the Celtics, then bring him to IU. Who cares if it's May or June. This is your coach for the next 25 years.

I don't think Dolson wants to hire one of his best friends, it would be awkward if he has to fire him. Steve even said as much in one of the podcasts. Hoosier Hysterics I believe. 

I like Chris Beard too, great name. But Stuhoo has convinced me he's not leaving Texas. 

If I'm adding someone I'm adding Eric Musselman. 

I'm going with Fife with a staff of Lewis, Roberts, Hunter, Guyton has a director of basketball operations. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Yes..all I'm saying is I think Alford is the "favorite". I think he could recruit the state well (however that doesn't mean crap after the last four years.) I think he would have more success than Archie for sure. I just think our ceiling would be like what Indiana was under Crean:

Year 1 and 2: mediocre

Year 3: A team talented enough to win a championship but underachieves in March. Rinse and repeat. 

I know lots on here don't like Dakich, but he makes some good points. I am curious to see how an Indiana guy would do. Purdue and Michigan are doing well with Alums coaching. Izzo and Gard are Michigan State and Wisconsin guys. 

Whatever hire is made in the future (I do think it's a matter of when not if) I just hope the fan base lets it play out. Could you imagine if Twitter and BTown Banners were around in 1971 when Indiana hired Knight? I don't know if many of us would have approved of it. I thought for the most part the fan base thought Archie was a good hire. He's been a massive bust-probably one of the biggest in college basketball history. 

But he's been fired from 2 P5 jobs. One of them being UCLA one of the best jobs in the country. If you can't win there why would he win here. People don't really know who Steve Alford is anymore around here unless your 40 and over