Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

The freaking President of Basketball Operations for the Los Angeles Clippers is a former Indiana manager - Lawerence Frank. Let's get his thoughts.

When I was a student at IU, I was in a class with Frank. He's a sharp, funny, witty dude. Since he's a former manager, I'd bet he and Dolson know each other and would hope Dolson would use him as a resource when/if pondering coaching candidates. 

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

The freaking President of Basketball Operations for the Los Angeles Clippers is a former Indiana manager - Lawerence Frank. Let's get his thoughts.

He was my 9th-grade student teacher in civics too. After the school year, we talked him into giving us his ID because he looked like one of my friends. We used the fake ID for 3 years of high school. He's a great dude

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

When I was a student at IU, I was in a class with Frank. He's a sharp, funny, witty dude. Since he's a former manager, I'd bet he and Dolson know each other and would hope Dolson would use him as a resource when/if pondering coaching candidates. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He was my 9th-grade student teacher in civics too. After the school year, we talked him into giving us his ID because he looked like one of my friends. We used the fake ID for 3 years of high school. He's a great dude

I've seen enough, I'm sold on trusting his opinion! 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So your two candidates would be a healthy/unhealthy Matta or a really old Beilein. I think how we view the job and others around CBB view this job is two different things. 

I don’t want Beilein. He’s too old. I do want Matta, although there are other coaches out there with proven success who I’d be okay with too. But, who I want and who I think we could get are different things. IU should be a great job. Right now it isn’t one. After another season like this one it’ll be a slightly worse job. I’m probably going to be disappointed with the hire. 

If we hire Dan Fife I’ll be disappointed. He’s had one head coach job, and that was a decade ago. I don’t care if someone is an “IU guy” or not. The easiest way to become an “IU guy” is to win a bunch of games. Bob Knight wasn’t an IU guy when he was hired. Coach K wasn’t a Duke guy when he was hired. Maybe Fife would be successful here. Without seeing him succeed as a head coach first, I don’t want to take that chance. I’d rather gamble on Matta’s health than Fife’s ability. 

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

I mean realistically, Scott Dolson is probably thinking "Who the hell am I suppose to hire".

I dont think the question is who. Its "How am I going to get him here." The list of guys is maybe 2-3 names long. all of them are long shots. Everyone else is throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks. I have a good gut feeling about Dolson. I think he gets it right. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

People want an IU guy and frankly, he's the ONLY IU guy we should even consider. 

- He turned PFW in the right direction at a very, very young age. 

- He's been recruiting very well at a top program in the top conference

- He's learned from a Hall of Famer. 

- He's at a good age to take over a program. 

If there is an IU guy we're going to hire, it really should only be him. 

Tom Crean?

5 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Tom Crean?

To be fair, CTC had assistant coaches recruit for him. Also, CTC never played a lick of basketball in his life.

Dane was a fan favorite, a true Hoosier. 

The idea of needing an "IU guy" is insipid crowd-pleasing nonsense to pacify the Facebook dads and no one else. Take Alford, for instance: setting aside his disqualifying moral failings for a moment, the idea that Alford would "help with in-state recruiting," as I hear so often from these types, is laughable. Not only do today's kids not remember Steve Alford, we're coming up on a time when these kids' PARENTS don't even remember Steve Alford. We're all IU fans here, so this is a bitter pill to swallow, but kids today don't care about IU's history. In reality, I don't think many of them care about college basketball in general, but that's another discussion for another day.

We already have basically the ultimate "IU guy" as our AD, and the AD is the kind of position where this kind of thing matters. The head coach, in essence, is a technician, not a poet expressing his love for the ineffable IU mystique. If a coach is like Allen and clearly relishes that position and loves the school and the program, then that's gravy. But the AD job is the one where you need someone who lives and breathes the history, because that's who has the power to make moves to put us back in a good position. The coach is just the facilitator in that regard.

Just now, Treesh said:

To be fair, CTC had assistant coaches recruit for him. Also, CTC never played a lick of basketball in his life.

Dane was a fan favorite, a true Hoosier. 

From the points you listed, you can say the same exact thing about Tom Crean. Crean even had more feathers in his cap at that point too, with the prior success at Marquette. I'm 100% convinced that Dane Fife would be a bad hire. He doesn't even have the resume of Archie Miller. Archie played basketball and he's a god awful here. 

3 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

The idea of needing an "IU guy" is insipid crowd-pleasing nonsense to pacify the Facebook dads and no one else. Take Alford, for instance: setting aside his disqualifying moral failings for a moment, the idea that Alford would "help with in-state recruiting," as I hear so often from these types, is laughable. Not only do today's kids not remember Steve Alford, we're coming up on a time when these kids' PARENTS don't even remember Steve Alford. We're all IU fans here, so this is a bitter pill to swallow, but kids today don't care about IU's history. In reality, I don't think many of them care about college basketball in general, but that's another discussion for another day.

We already have basically the ultimate "IU guy" as our AD, and the AD is the kind of position where this kind of thing matters. The head coach, in essence, is a technician, not a poet expressing his love for the ineffable IU mystique. If a coach is like Allen and clearly relishes that position and loves the school and the program, then that's gravy. But the AD job is the one where you need someone who lives and breathes the history, because that's who has the power to make moves to put us back in a good position. The coach is just the facilitator in that regard.

I agree wholeheartedly! When the change is eventually made, I'm glad that Dolson will be the guy pulling the trigger. If he can't get it done, Im not sure who would be able to. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

From the points you listed, you can say the same exact thing about Tom Crean. Crean even had more feathers in his cap at that point too, with the prior success at Marquette. I'm 100% convinced that Dane Fife would be a bad hire. He doesn't even have the resume of Archie Miller. Archie played basketball and he's a god awful here. 

All I'm saying is Fife is the only IU guy I'd hire if I were Scott. Which I am not Scott Dolson. 

Just now, Treesh said:

All I'm saying is Fife is the only IU guy I'd hire if I were Scott. Which I am not Scott Dolson. 

I suppose I agree with you on that point alone. God, I hope we don't go down this path though. At this point, I'm in need of a really powerful catalyst to get me interested again. Fife would just make me slip further into my apathetic slumber. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I agree wholeheartedly! When the change is eventually made, I'm glad that Dolson will be the guy pulling the trigger. If he can't get it done, Im not sure who would be able to. 

You have to remember that the former players Dakich, Wittman, Kitchel, Odle have all been lobbying for an IU guy the last two hires. They don't feel like their voices are being heard. So that is why I think you hear more of an IU guy voice this time. I do think it will take a special person to succeed here but I don't know much. I thought Archie was a good hire, Tom Allen was a bad hire and was completely wrong on both. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I suppose I agree with you on that point alone. God, I hope we don't go down this path though. At this point, I'm in need of a really powerful catalyst to get me interested again. Fife would just make me slip further into my apathetic slumber. 

And I would be on the same slip if Alford, Marshall, or some other lateral move gets hired. We're coming up on the end game for IU basketball potentially. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

So, if the bonuses were higher, we would be better? 

Just not much incentive.  If I have 3  mil in my pocket, an extra $25-$50k doesn't mean all that much.  Maybe not worth the extra effort.  And then I'm sitting on a 10 mil buyout.  Talk about fat and happy.   

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You have to remember that the former players Dakich, Wittman, Kitchel, Odle have all been lobbying for an IU guy the last two hires. They don't feel like their voices are being heard. So that is why I think you hear more of an IU guy voice this time. I do think it will take a special person to succeed here but I don't know much. I thought Archie was a good hire, Tom Allen was a bad hire and was completely wrong on both. 

Same. If we hire an IU guy I'd rather it be someone from the professional ranks, such as Lawrence Frank. The idea of Alford or Fife horrifies me. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

My list of coaches. These are in order and display my wants and not necessarily who I think is realistic. 

1. Brad Stevens

2. Chris Beard

3. Bruce Pearl

4. Leonard Hamilton

If just based on wants and not reality...think
1 Stevens
2 Donovan

3 Wright

4 Few

5 Bennet

6 Beard

7 Pitino