Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, 94Hoosier said:

I just don’t understand the fascination with fife....he might be. Good coach.  But we don’t need another MIGHT.   

People want an IU guy and frankly, he's the ONLY IU guy we should even consider. 

- He turned PFW in the right direction at a very, very young age. 

- He's been recruiting very well at a top program in the top conference

- He's learned from a Hall of Famer. 

- He's at a good age to take over a program. 

If there is an IU guy we're going to hire, it really should only be him. 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

People want an IU guy and frankly, he's the ONLY IU guy we should even consider. 

Agreed he is the onLy IU guy I would consider, but I don’t think it has to be an IU guy.  

Kids today care about style and winning not 1970’s era IU.  

7 minutes ago, 94Hoosier said:

Agreed he is the onLy IU guy I would consider, but I don’t think it has to be an IU guy.  

Kids today care about style and winning not 1970’s era IU.  

Yeah I agree with you, it doesn't have to be an IU guy. The names I've seen thrown out around social media, boards, and my own names.. I can't imagine the list Scott is developing. 

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I'd prefer seeing if he's actually learned anything from Izzo.  We saw first hand a person can be on his bench and learn absolutely nothing.

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd prefer seeing if he's actually learned anything from Izzo.  We saw first hand a person can be on his bench and learn absolutely nothing.

Those were my thoughts exactly. To the point I actually looked up how long the orange one was on his bench to compare it to Fife.   

I guess one way to view it is, would Fife at least equal Archie's success? Does Fife actually have the moxy to carry the weight of a program like IU?

I don't want to rehire Archie, is my point. Might as well hang tough for the real hire. I understand the definition of insanity though. He wanted to get old and stay old. That's great, but we need to be in the tournament to afford that patience. 

I really wish there was ANY indication that this program was on the upswing. Stuck in neutral. I like the guy. He's obviously just not built for IU. Damn he felt like he was going to be general-lite though. 

8 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

LOL! CTC never played basketball in the first place so him making it this far in basketball is pretty impressive. Good connections working under Izzo!

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would agree if we HAVE to hire an IU guy, Fife really is the only viable option. But to me, it would be just another risky hire. We had a longtime Izzo assistant before -- and he got fired. (Yes, I realize Fife played at IU while FCTC didn't even play high school ball). 

I just don't get the obsession with having an IU guy. I keep seeing people post that we need someone who knows "the culture and history of IU basketball." But I'm not exactly sure how that translates into coaching basketball. Or what that even means. 

Probably everyone on this board knows more about "the culture and history of IU basketball" than Archie, Tom Crean, Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, Brad Stevens, Thad Matta, John Beilein or any other candidate folks are pondering who's not named Alford, Wittman, Fife, Woodson or Cheaney. But I wouldn't want any of you to coach IU's basketball team. No offense. 

Hell, I've seen people post (not here, thankfully) saying we should hire Greg Graham, Alan Henderson or Damon Baily. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. If were down to Sparty by 10 points with 10 minutes to play, I don't give a rip if someone knows "the culture and history of IU basketball." I want someone who can make adjustments -- both in terms of X's and O's and personnel -- to get us back into the game and to win it. 

Fully agree. There is a total obsession over having an IU guy as the head coach of Indiana. And in part, I get it. Having an IU guy people watched and love makes it more special. 

X's O's, recruiting, proven winning as a HC,  and March experience should all take priority over playing at Indiana. 

They need to get more IU guys involved in the search/interviews though. We have a lot of former players who have been college coaches, NBA coaches, NBA executives, scouts etc and yet few have been asked why they think.  

I swear if we fire Archie and then hire Dane Fife... Ugh. 

I want a guy with proven success at the P5 level. I don’t want a mid-major coach. I don’t want an assistant coach. I want a proven coach. We’ve tried the other routes and they’ve led us to today. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I swear if we fire Archie and then hire Dane Fife... Ugh. 

I want a guy with proven success at the P5 level. I don’t want a mid- shot coach. I don’t want an assistant coach. I want a proven coach. We’ve tried the other routes and they’ve led us to today. 

So your two candidates would be a healthy/unhealthy Matta or a really old Beilein. I think how we view the job and others around CBB view this job is two different things. 

6 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

I guess one way to view it is, would Fife at least equal Archie's success? Does Fife actually have the moxy to carry the weight of a program like IU?

I don't want to rehire Archie, is my point. Might as well hang tough for the real hire. I understand the definition of insanity though. He wanted to get old and stay old. That's great, but we need to be in the tournament to afford that patience. 

I really wish there was ANY indication that this program was on the upswing. Stuck in neutral. I like the guy. He's obviously just not built for IU. Damn he felt like he was going to be general-lite though. 

And to some extent, this is why I'd prefer to keep Archie for one more year so we don't make a terrible mistake in hiring. Everyone here and outside this board wants IU to start winning again. 

But if we fire Archie in three weeks and hire another dud, this program will more than likely be finished. I think waiting hurts us of course but it could also allow us to have better options next season.

The only true solution is for a proven head coach to call Scott soon and tell him he'll take over the program. We're obviously going to have to trust Scott on his process but I'd feel a whole lot better if we had more time..

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

They need to get more IU guys involved in the search/interviews though. We have a lot of former players who have been college coaches, NBA coaches, NBA executives, scouts etc and yet few have been asked why they think.  

I think you are 100% correct on this. Let Wittman or Woodson help with the search. But Buckner did have a huge part in hiring Archie. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I think you are 100% correct on this. Let Wittman or Woodson help with the search. But Buckner did have a huge part in hiring Archie. 

The freaking President of Basketball Operations for the Los Angeles Clippers is a former Indiana manager - Lawerence Frank. Let's get his thoughts.