Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Fair enough, but if no fantastic options are available after this season, I'm not sure how better options will be there a year later. 
And there's certainly no guarantee there will be better next year. It is just as likely some of the better options this year won't be available next year and your choices are even less desirable. Then what? Well let's extend AM because Phil Jackson won't coach us?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

And that thinking is exactly why Archie Miller will be here next year!
Archie Miller train rolls on folks!
I think you are basically Brass Cannon from the complete opposite side of things. We get it man. You love you some Archie. You seem to mock anybody's candidate that isn't Stevens because you, not so secretly, want to keep Archie. You keep talking about buyout $, saving said $, Brad and various trains and others will continue to talk about candidates.

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

I think you are basically Brass Cannon from the complete opposite side of things. We get it man. You love you some Archie. You seem to mock anybody's candidate that isn't Stevens because you, not so secretly, want to keep Archie. You keep talking about buyout $, saving said $, Brad and various trains and others will continue to talk about candidates.

How much can we put you down for that 10 million buyout? Looks like your pretty good at spending other people's money. 

How much can we put you down for that 10 million buyout? Looks like your pretty good at spending other people's money. 
I'd donate $. I'm spending now on apparel and my invaluable time (to me it is) on this garbage so why not. Tell me the net worth of a big time donor and what they are donating to get the % of their donation compared to their net worth and I'll match the % assuming it's realistic. Because $1million of $100 million is only 1% of their value. I'll give 1% of my value which will equal very little in the grand scheme. That fair?

Also I feel you missed my point that the repetition and mockery was something someone else did and this reminds me of that just a complete 180 on agenda.

24 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I think he's trying to push that train at this point, even though it's derailed.

4 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Lol.  Same.  At the time I don't think Sampson, Crean, or Miller were my dream hires, but in each case I felt very optimistic about their hirings.  We as fans are both experts and idiots when it comes to these things.

Edit: I never was especially optimistic about Davis - yet he had the most tournament success.  Go figure.

Davis wasn't really successful. That team got to the championship despite him. I was not enthusiastic about any of the hires since then. I think Glass really dropped the ball on Archie. He didn't do a national search for the best possible candidate. Dolson must do that this time. No excuses. Aim high and pay what is needed. 

5 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

Davis wasn't really successful. That team got to the championship despite him. I was not enthusiastic about any of the hires since then. I think Glass really dropped the ball on Archie. He didn't do a national search for the best possible candidate. Dolson must do that this time. No excuses. Aim high and pay what is needed. 

Davis won because he inherited really tough, hard-nosed, accountable players. Haston, Coverdale, Jeffries, Fife, Coverdale, Hornsby, Moye, Odle.

After they left he brought in players who largely had none of those qualities.

Culture matters

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Not that we know what the hell we're talking about, but the consensus on this board is that there are three choices:

1. Primary: Throw the booster bank at Stevens; maybe the bank would open for Scott Drew
  2. Secondary: Lower cost/high value--Thad Matta
  3. Roll the Dice: If Archie HAS to go, and now, look to Nored, Tonagel, Utah St Smith, Alexander, Fife. Interview them all and pick the 'could be a star' winner.

There...wasn't that easy?

Interview panel?

• Buckner
  • Whitman
  • Moye
  • Hulls
  • Alford (to eliminate him as a choice)
  • Dakich, cause what the hell
  • Don Fischer
  • Tom Allen

1) Need to add Billy D after Brad but before Drew. 
2) Add Beilein with Matta to the where are the now group. Beilein is older but Mattas back is older so on average they are the same. 
2a) don’t we need a group for guys like Oats and McDermott. 

We shall see how big of deal the buyout actually is. We haven't seen the contract and deals can be made. If you are archie miller and tjd leaves and maybe even some transfers do you even want to coach at indiana next season? Fans will be back and it will be ugly. If I am archie I save some face cut a deal that we both agree on and go get me another coaching job Perhaps somewhere that isn't clearly jinxed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'd donate $500. Get 20,000 IU fans to donate $500 each and there's your $10 million. IU basketball has a million followers on Twitter. Get every follower to throw in a $10 bill and there's $10 million. I'm sure they could crowdsource a fair amount of the buyout. Whether that's allowed though, I don't know. The university stands to lose more than $10 million from lost revenue next year and moving forward if we go through another season like this one or even worse than this one. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'd donate $500. Get 20,000 IU fans to donate $500 each and there's your $10 million. IU basketball has a million followers on Twitter. Get every follower to throw in a $10 bill and there's $10 million. I'm sure they could crowdsource a fair amount of the buyout. Whether that's allowed though, I don't know. The university stands to lose more than $10 million from lost revenue next year and moving forward if we go through another season like this one or even worse than this one. 

It will be fairly easy to get 20,000 Indiana basketball fans to say that they will be donating $500 each.

It would be literally impossible to get them to actually make that donation.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Davis won because he inherited really tough, hard-nosed, accountable players. Haston, Coverdale, Jeffries, Fife, Coverdale, Hornsby, Moye, Odle.

After they left he brought in players who largely had none of those qualities.

Culture matters

I loved the Coverdale twins!  Sorry Stu, I had to!

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It will be fairly easy to get 20,000 Indiana basketball fans to say that they will be donating $500 each.

It would be literally impossible to get them to actually make that donation.

Probably. But if you threw up a gofundme for Archie's buyout, I'd be very interested to see how much money it would get. Especially if we lose the next two games and then get throttled by Purdue. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Probably. But if you threw up a gofundme for Archie's buyout, I'd be very interested to see how much money it would get. Especially if we lose the next two games and then get throttled by Purdue. 

I'm guessing less than 10 million. We talk a good game but I doubt that in reality it matters that much to most of us. This is IU basketball that we are talking about. Most of us have probably more pressing matters to attend to. I know I have. I want to watch great IU basketball. Just like I did in the past. But, now I have grandchildren and they matter more to me. I don't like what I see on the court any more than anyone else does. And I have hatred Purdue and Kentucky as much as anyone else. I guess that the things that I have passion about have changed over the years. I don't live or die and my mood isn't dependent on the outcome of a basketball game. Maybe that makes me part of the problem. But that's just where I am at this point.

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I’m all about getting a new coach at this point. But only if it’s a smart hire. I’m not here to watch Thad Matta coach a game when he hasn’t sniffed a basketball or AAU event in four years!

I have a better chance at winning on Draft Kings Parlay +72000 than Stevens coming here, I get it. I’m holding up the standard that the next hire must be a home run or we might as well keep Archie another year. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I’m all about getting a new coach at this point. But only if it’s a smart hire. I’m not here to watch Thad Matta coach a game when he hasn’t sniffed a basketball or AAU event in four years!

I have a better chance at winning on Draft Kings Parlay +72000 than Stevens coming here, I get it. I’m holding up the standard that the next hire must be a home run or we might as well keep Archie another year. 

Because a home run will be available then? Or just give him an extension until a home run is found. I think you make the change and go pay for the home run on your own timeline, not theirs. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Because a home run will be available then? Or just give him an extension until a home run is found. I think you make the change and go pay for the home run on your own timeline, not theirs. 

I’m saying keep him another year so the buy-out is less for the boosters and the department, more candidates could become available and it allows us to gather more information on potential up and comers. 

Yeah IU basketball is garbage and next year more than likely will be much of the same, but this is the most important hire of IU Athletics for the foreseeable future. Can’t rush it. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm in.  Create the page and I'll donate