Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

my honest opinion is I would be surprised to see the money raised without having a home-run candidate ready to go this season. Now with every loss, it's getting worse and worse. I had a booster text me last night and say how embarrassing the game was. I asked him if he was willing to donate to the buyout. He said no to 10 million unless Dolson told him he has Stevens or someone like that ready. He said he's ready for IU baseball, football is going to awesome and he would worry about basketball next year when the buyout is 3million. That's just one person but I do know Dolson wants to find someone that the whole fanbase will get behind. That hasn't happened in the last 4 basketball hires. 

Same vibe here morning after.  Honestly surprised at the patience or level headedness or apathy.  My return text I got was last night said really didn’t change anything.  I didn’t know what to say to that.  I don’t know how not. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

my honest opinion is I would be surprised to see the money raised without having a home-run candidate ready to go this season. Now with every loss, it's getting worse and worse. I had a booster text me last night and say how embarrassing the game was. I asked him if he was willing to donate to the buyout. He said no to 10 million unless Dolson told him he has Stevens or someone like that ready. He said he's ready for IU baseball, football is going to awesome and he would worry about basketball next year when the buyout is 3million. That's just one person but I do know Dolson wants to find someone that the whole fanbase will get behind. That hasn't happened in the last 4 basketball hires. 

Just want to make sure I'm reading this right...basically Scott Dolson has zero confidence Archie Miller is the guy. If that is the case, he needs to do everything in his power to move on after this season. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

"Forget" the fan base.  Hire someone who knows how to coach and can build a program.  Fans get behind a winner.   

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If the people on this board can figure out that Archie is not the guy at IU, then Scott Dolson who has been around IU basketball since 1984 can figure it out. But it's a business decision, as I have said the athletic department doesn't have that kind of money. Donors are tired of donating money so the administration can hire someone that half the fanbase doesn't like from day 1.

I'm afraid that the fan base is going to have to suck it up for one more year...you are right...no way will anyone donate if it's another Archie Miller or Tom Crean. 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm afraid that the fan base is going to have to suck it up for one more year...you are right...no way will anyone donate if it's another Archie Miller or Tom Crean. 

100%. I don't think many people have a lot of confidence in who's doing the hiring. 

52 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Ha. ... In addition to the completely bizarre coaching suggestions people have, the thing that kills me is someone will post, "When do we play next?" ... or "Is tonight's game on TV?" ... First of all, shouldn't any legitimate IU fan know when we play? Second, if you can go to FB to ask such a question, can't you take 2 more seconds and look it up for yourself? Very odd. 

You'd think, but I have little faith in humanity so I'm not surprised.  Granted I'd take their mindset over "oh IU did play yesterday, and shocking they lost again".

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, but a mass exodus is balanced by this season's opportunity for a mass entrance. As it is we currently only have 11 signed for next year (losing Al and Joey, adding Duncomb and Stewart). Assuming TJD has had enough and one or two others leave, we need to add at least three or four more players anyway.

In fact, if we announce a compelling new coach, we are likely to retain more of the roster and add better new people than if Archie stays. Who the heck wants to join a sinking ship?

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Aloha asked will the administration allow a new coach to operate in the free agency market like he would want to (or something to that effect)? My response was the doomsday scenario where if we fire Archie and several players leave before hiring a new coach. If the admin put restrictions on how a new coach could operate when he'll immediately need to find half of a roster, that could be a big deterrent. In other words, would the administration hinder the ability of that mass entrance? Yes, the more likely scenario is that players stick around until they know who the next coach is. And a compelling coach could keep players around and effectively fill in the roster gaps. 

Also, for the record, I'm not advocating to not make a move b/c free agency will make it harder on a new coach. Just that it's a helluva interesting wrinkle added to the possibility of changing coaches. 

Further, the snowflake in me wants to go back and change all of the times I said "he" to "he/she" to not make any assumptions. And now that those wheels are spinning, what about the unprecedented move no one has mentioned yet? Is our next coach already roaming the sidelines as a head basketball coach at Indiana University? (I know very little about the women's team besides the fact that they are pretty good under Coach Moren). 

100% in agreement with Chris. Why would rich people spend their money on a lateral move or a coach who hasn't coached in four years? Seems like a waste of money to me. 3.5 million is a lot easier to come up with than 10.35 million.

Wait it out. We have a great women's basketball program and a football program that will be Top 15 in the fall with tailgates back in full swing. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If the people on this board can figure out that Archie is not the guy at IU, then Scott Dolson who has been around IU basketball since 1984 can figure it out. But it's a business decision, as I have said the athletic department doesn't have that kind of money. Donors are tired of donating money so the administration can hire someone that half the fanbase doesn't like from day 1.

At one point does it cost more to keep him then to buy him out, though? The fanbase is probably the most apathetic it’s ever been at this point. You keep him next year when fans can attend and it’s going to get ugly. Boos, people won’t go to games, lame duck coach status will kill recruiting. That will roll over for years to come and end up costing us more long-term than firing him now will. I just don’t get how others don’t recognize this? 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

More like the fanbase is going to have to find something else to do next winter, lol. IU better hope that Covid is still causing capacity restrictions next year. Otherwise, they are going to be playing in a half empty Assembly Hall. Stevie Wonder can see that Archie just ain't it. If we keep him next year it will solely be because of the buyout. And if that's how the IU administration acts then the fanbase should act accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

At one point does it cost more to keep him then to buy him out, though? The fanbase is probably the most apathetic it’s ever been at this point. You keep him next year when fans can attend and it’s going to get ugly. Boos, people won’t go to games, lame duck coach status will kill recruiting. That will roll over for years to come and end up costing us more long-term than firing him now will. I just don’t get how others don’t recognize this? 

It's an effect of the cause, sure. But money talks. If COVID wasn't here last year or this year then we're talking a different story. The money would be there already.

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It's an effect of the cause, sure. But money talks. If COVID wasn't here last year or this year then we're talking a different story. The money would be there already.

I don’t think the money coming from boosters or alums is effected much by COVID so I don’t buy that excuse. The school? Yes.

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

100% in agreement with Chris. Why would rich people spend their money on a lateral move or a coach who hasn't coached in four years? Seems like a waste of money to me. 3.5 million is a lot easier to come up with than 10.35 million.

Wait it out. We have a great women's basketball program and a football program that will be Top 15 in the fall with tailgates back in full swing. 

We've been waiting 5 years for a winning conference record. We've been waiting 5 years to make it back to the tournament. We've been waiting 19 years to make it back to the elite eight. IU basketball is nothing without the fans. This season has made that abundantly clear. Without fans in Assembly Hall we are no different from any other random P5 team. The administration thinks they can "wait it out" because they take the fanbase for granted. They think it isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately for them, Covid has shown people that they don't need sports. They can fill their schedules with other activities. Even before Covid, IU was having trouble filling the arena for all but the most marquee games. What do they think will happen next season with a dead in the water coach and terrible team? 

17 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

And if I read this right..it's March 31 of 2022 when his buyout goes down. Look at the calendar, a lot of the time that is too late in the game. 

That is the Thursday before the final four next year. The final Four is when a lot of AD's do their interviews for head coaching jobs. 

14 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Wait it out? I really don't care how good the women's team is. Boosters don't care. It makes no money. It only exist to be fair. I really don't even care if football is good. I lived without it my whole life. But basketball? That's a different story. It NEEDS to be great. There isn't an excuse in the world for it not to be. Cut the dead weight. And that dead weight is Archie. Waiting another year will only create a bloodbath for Archie. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Peegs premium board looks to be quite active this morning. Are they throwing out wild names? By the looks of it.. yes. 

Mark Pope is getting a lot of votes. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you where he is the head coach.