Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

With the upcoming free agency happening this offseason might be a good time to look at Eric Musselman. No one is better in the transfer market than he is. 

This is one that I have been debating internally as well @Chris007, my reservation is that - at times he comes off as a snake-oil salesman reminiscent of a certain diet coke chugging, orange fellow that used to patrol the courts of SSAH.  Is my fear unfounded?

1 minute ago, MemphisHoosier said:

This is one that I have been debating internally as well @Chris007, my reservation is that - at times he comes off as a snake-oil salesman reminiscent of a certain diet coke chugging, orange fellow that used to patrol the courts of SSAH.  Is my fear unfounded?

I don't know enough about him to say yes or no but your the second person to say that so that raises some flags. But he does seem to win, wherever he goes and players love him. 

5 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

He's CTC 2.0. I'd avoid him. Lateral move although it doesn't like like a lateral move based off wins. But it's a lateral move. 

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

He's CTC 2.0. I'd avoid him. Lateral move although it doesn't like like a lateral move based off wins. But it's a lateral move. 

Tom Crean won 2 Big10 championships. Your boy Archie can't get in the top half of the conference. Lateral move or not, we'd be lucky for those results the rate we're going. Keeping the status quo, whenever this season mercifully ends, would be disastrous.  Not advocating for Musselman, but just anyone else but Alford.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Who is Dayton's coach?  Should we hire them just to piss their fans off again?

Anthony Grant. He's one of those guys who just doesn't seem cut out for Power 5 basketball. He killed it at VCU, got hired at Alabama, got fired at Alabama, returned to his alma mater -- and seems to be doing relatively well again. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

With the upcoming free agency happening this offseason might be a good time to look at Eric Musselman. No one is better in the transfer market than he is. 

The free agency thing adds a whole new wrinkle. If we make a move this offseason, how many of our current players bolt knowing they can play right away elsewhere? Would a new coach hesitate b/c he has to find half of a roster to even get started? Of course the flip side there is....is it more appealing b/c free agency allows a new coach to start building the roster how they want right away? Very interesting. 

11 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The free agency thing adds a whole new wrinkle. If we make a move this offseason, how many of our current players bolt knowing they can play right away elsewhere? Would a new coach hesitate b/c he has to find half of a roster to even get started? Of course the flip side there is....is it more appealing b/c free agency allows a new coach to start building the roster how they want right away? Very interesting. 

Would the administration allow for a new coach to build a roster that way..?  How much does that weigh on a coach deciding to sign with IU?

27 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I'm debating creating a new Facebook profile to comment on some of the posts I see. Seems like a nice hobby to have. LOL

Ha. ... In addition to the completely bizarre coaching suggestions people have, the thing that kills me is someone will post, "When do we play next?" ... or "Is tonight's game on TV?" ... First of all, shouldn't any legitimate IU fan know when we play? Second, if you can go to FB to ask such a question, can't you take 2 more seconds and look it up for yourself? Very odd. 

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

Ha. ... In addition to the completely bizarre coaching suggestions people have, the thing that kills me is someone will post, "When do we play next?" ... or "Is tonight's game on TV?" ... First of all, shouldn't any legitimate IU fan know when we play? Second, if you can go to FB to ask such a question, can't you take 2 more seconds and look it up for yourself? Very odd behavior. 

It's pretty what Facebook and all social media has become..  I want to show the world how cool I am because.. I don't know/care when the next basketball game is.  Instead of acting like a ******* adult and finding out for myself I'm going to let others know that I don't know/care!

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would the administration allow for a new coach to build a roster that way..?  How much does that weigh on a coach deciding to sign with IU?

This is one of the reasons making a move this offseason scares the crap out of me. 5 or 6 players leave, none of our true top targets are coming anyway, and our next set of targets are told they don't have as much freedom in the transfer market as they need so they all pass. We end up with.....oh man, I don't even want to think about it. 

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

This is one of the reasons making a move this offseason scares the crap out of me. 5 or 6 players leave, none of our true top targets are coming anyway, and our next set of targets are told they don't have as much freedom in the transfer market as they need so they all pass. We end up with.....oh man, I don't even want to think about it. 

An what year wouldn't that be the case if we stick with Archie this off-season?

Just now, Stuhoo said:

An what year wouldn't that be the case if we stick with Archie this off-season?

I'm making the assumption that a mass exodus is far less likely in an offseason that isn't the free agency type offseason this upcoming offseason will be. So, a normal offseason where players have to consider sitting out a year. 

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

I'm making the assumption that a mass exodus is far less likely in an offseason that isn't the free agency type offseason this upcoming offseason will be. So, a normal offseason where players have to consider sitting out a year. 

Yes, but a mass exodus is balanced by this season's opportunity for a mass entrance. As it is we currently only have 11 signed for next year (losing Al and Joey, adding Duncomb and Stewart). Assuming TJD has had enough and one or two others leave, we need to add at least three or four more players anyway.

In fact, if we announce a compelling new coach, we are likely to retain more of the roster and add better new people than if Archie stays. Who the heck wants to join a sinking ship?

I don't know enough about him to say yes or no but your the second person to say that so that raises some flags. But he does seem to win, wherever he goes and players love him. 

In your honest opinion, do you think IU will move on or wait until next offseason? Seems to be a thing of when and not if.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Thad and Archie are close. Some are saying Thad won't take it because of that friendship. I have no idea about that but that is what the Peegs guys are saying Rabby & Snow

So he should have brought Thad on as a bench coach.  Like Tex Winter to Phil Jackson.  Get's Thad that taste of basketball without the stresses of being "the guy."   

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Good Lord. Our fan base has sunk to a new low. I just saw a FB post calling for Alan Henderson as head coach. 

Never have so many known so little about so much. 

Has nothing to do with knowing anything.  Many of us would rather have the dude behind the counter at Big Red liquors coach this team.