Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not sure I agree. If as you say, the rest of the year plays out in a way change is our best option and we exhaust the $5 million per year options like Stevens, Donovan (currently making $6 million per), and Beard (currently at almost $5 million per), then what? That leaves IUBB with two options:

1. Stay with Archie, or
  2. Try another upside hire and hope.

If Archie proves to be surely 'not the guy', I prefer option 2 to option 1.

I understand that sentiment, but I truly feel there will be coaches out there this year of all years at $5+ million.  You start jumping into that echelon of coaching choices there will be some there worth hiring.  I don’t think we should so easily go to upside unless we are waiting until next year.  If we make a move this year, the way I understand it this will be because there is a Brad Stevens (not necessarily him but a name coach) out there waiting for it.  The question will ultimately come down to how much the university will pay for its next coach and his assistants.  I can say booster’s wants are more than upside if a change is made.  Trading Archie for another Archie lottery ticket is not currently appealing to boosters.  

If we make the tournament there won’t be a ton of uproar for change unless a sure fire name coach is out there.  Should add that too.  That’s the vibe I am getting currently.  If anyone else is hearing anything different would love to know.  Most everything I am hearing seems really open ended.  By February of Crean’s last year it was a foregone conclusion.  This one is much quieter or Dolson just isn’t to the point of making a change for change sake.  Not sure honestly which one it is since he is newer. 

Just now, mdn82 said:

I understand that sentiment, but I truly feel there will be coaches out there this year of all years at $5+ million.  You start jumping into that echelon of coaching choices there will be some there worth hiring.  I don’t think we should so easily go to upside unless we are waiting until next year.  If we make a move this year, the way I understand it this will be because there is a Brad Stevens out there waiting for it.  The question will ultimately come down to how much the university will pay for its next coach and his assistants.  I can say boosters wants are more than upside if a change is made.  Trading Archie for another Archie lottery ticket is not currently appealing to boosters.  

Okay then...who do you believe is a $5 million per year worthy coach? And who do you believe boosters would consider worthy of $5million+?

I have a hard time believing they would ante up $5 million for Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, or Mike White. Each of those guys makes about $3 million currently, and each would probably want $4.5 to move.  If you think boosters would ante up big for those guys, I get it and I agree (especially for Musselman). 

However, if we're talking higher profile than that for $5 million+? Stevens, Few, Beard and Donovan are pipe dreams. Sure reaching out might be a good idea, but reaching out would likely bring nada. I suppose Scott Drew at $5 million is a possibility. Wouldn't be my choice but I can see it. 

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

100% all day, everyday and twice on Sunday 

I assume they would, but wouldn't it be odd timing assuming Brad is finished in June? I have a hard time imagining the administration kicking Archie to the curb in the middle of the summer.

I guess if he's finishing in June, he wouldn't be fired, but you get the point. I guess they would do it for Stevens but seems like the stars aligning would be difficult in that sense

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay then...who do you believe is a $5 million per year worthy coach? And who do you believe boosters would consider worthy of $5million+?

I have a hard time believing they would ante up $5 million for Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, or Mike White. Each of those guys makes about $3 million currently, and each would probably want $4.5 to move.  If you think boosters would ante up big for those guys, I get it and I agree (especially for Musselman). 

However, if we're talking higher profile than that for $5 million+? Stevens, Few, Beard and Donovan are pipe dreams. Sure reaching out might be a good idea, but reaching out would likely bring nada. I suppose Scott Drew at $5 million is a possibility. Wouldn't be my choice but I can see it. 

Oates, Drew, Beard and Stevens for sure would be $5 million+.  Beard and Stevens would be near $10 if not closer to $15 million per year.  Don’t give them an easy decision.  I understand their situations and why they would want to stay in their current situations.  Give them a reason to come.  Do we honestly think Calipari was going nuts trying to get into Kentucky?  No, but they threw a lot of money at him and gave him space to build his vision even if it wasn’t the norm at the time.  Our admin has to do that for the next hire.  

I agree on Musselman and White.  I know some boosters are higher on some NBA assistants.  I have even heard Becky Hammon.  Truly (won’t happen at an IU).  She wouldn’t get $5 million obviously.  Neither would any assistant.  Some boosters like people like Dana Altman and people like that.  This is the year to go big game hunting.  Next year we would go for upside unless something hopefully opens up then.  

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Oates, Drew, Beard and Stevens for sure would be $5 million+.  Beard and Stevens would be near $10.  Don’t give them an easy decision.  I understand their situations and why they would want to stay in their current situations.  Give them a reason to come.  Do we honestly think Calipari was going nuts trying to get into Kentucky?  No, but they threw a lot of money at him and gave him space to build his vision even if it wasn’t the norm at the time.  Our admin has to do that for the next hire.  

I agree on Musselman and White.  I know some boosters are higher on some NBA assistants.  I have even heard Becky Hammon.  Truly.  She wouldn’t get $5 million obviously.  Neither would any assistant.  Some boosters like people like Dana Altman and people like that.  This is the year to go big game hunting.  Next year we would go for upside unless something hopefully opens up then.  

Forget the basketball aspects...if the administration does not want the coach to ever be bigger than the program or the school again, Becky Hammon would be the worst choice possible.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Forget the basketball aspects...if the administration does not want the coach to ever be bigger than the program or the school again, Becky Hammon would be the worst choice possible.

Agreed and I will never understand their logic in being hesitant in those situations.  Not necessarily with Becky, I truly haven’t seen how she coaches up close to give any kind reasons for or against.  I know Pop speaks highly of her, but outside of that and her playing career I am in the dark.  

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

If we make the tournament there won’t be a ton of uproar for change unless a sure fire name coach is out there. 

Have we sunk this low as a fanbase that just getting into the tournament is all we care about?  We can't compete in the upper tier of our own conference, PUke owns us,  a 3-game winning streak is cause for a parade down Kirkwood Ave., we maybe win 1 game in the B1G tourney, squeak into the Big Dance and lose our first game.  But hey, we made it.  I don't care what metrics say, we don't improve over the course of the season, or if we do, other teams are improving at a much better rate.  And the same analogy applies to a season-by-season basis under Archie.  

It doesn't matter if we make the Big Dance this year or not, Archie's not getting it done and the program needs a fresh face.  Forget the home run hire.  It ain't gonna happen.  We didn't do a good job of identifying an up and comer with Archie but that's where we'll have to look for our next coach and hope that Dolson is better at identifying such a coach than was Glass.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Have we sunk this low as a fanbase that just getting into the tournament is all we care about?  We can't compete in the upper tier of our own conference, PUke owns us,  a 3-game winning streak is cause for a parade down Kirkwood Ave., we maybe win 1 game in the B1G tourney, squeak into the Big Dance and lose our first game.  But hey, we made it.  I don't care what metrics say, we don't improve over the course of the season, or if we do, other teams are improving at a much better rate.  And the same analogy applies to a season-by-season basis under Archie.  

It doesn't matter if we make the Big Dance this year or not, Archie's not getting it done and the program needs a fresh face.  Forget the home run hire.  It ain't gonna happen.  We didn't do a good job of identifying an up and comer with Archie but that's where we'll have to look for our next coach and hope that Dolson is better at identifying such a coach than was Glass.

Not as a fanbase.  Boosters aren’t pushing that hard.  At least the ones that matter that I have heard.  They aren’t pushing Davis or Crean need fired levels yet.  Beyond that our hiring process is horrible and really hasn’t changed much on the last three coaches.  I may be stupid but IMO it might be in our best interests to take a hard look at that.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I will say on the athletic administration side it hasn't gotten anywhere near where it was at the end of the Crean era. No one wanted him around in Assembly hall or on campus. I specifically asked someone last week who works with Archie every day about this, they said great person to work with, a team player does his job and doesn't tell anyone else how to do theirs. Because I was hearing from fans or boosters he is arrogant or thinks a lot of himself. Most really like him as a person, just wish he would win more

It seems to me that by most indications, he will most likely be back next season -- your chat with the Super Sub notwithstanding.

Do you think he gets a little latitude from the decision-makers for going all season without his starting center, losing his best shooting guard for a couple games in the middle of the season and presumably finishing the last two weeks of the season without one of his two healthy true front line players?

Please don't understand me -- I'm not making excuses for him; just asking a question. 

In conference games only, Indiana is just No. 11 in the Big Ten in adjusted defensive efficiency.  They are No. 12 in effective field goal percentage defense, a figure inflated by allowing conference foes to shoot a league-worst 36.7 percent from 3-point range.

The heralded pack line defense has been winless against both Purdue and Michigan in Archie’s tenure. It’s also not very good against the rest of the Big. So what does Indiana do well now? The writing is on the wall for us to give someone else a shot. 

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I will say on the athletic administration side it hasn't gotten anywhere near where it was at the end of the Crean era. No one wanted him around in Assembly hall or on campus. I specifically asked someone last week who works with Archie every day about this, they said great person to work with, a team player does his job and doesn't tell anyone else how to do theirs. Because I was hearing from fans or boosters he is arrogant or thinks a lot of himself. Most really like him as a person, just wish he would win more

Will someone just tell him to adapt.  He fixes the offense to focus more on scoring, the players will like it and the recruiting will follow.  Better players = more wins.  

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

In conference games only, Indiana is just No. 11 in the Big Ten in adjusted defensive efficiency.  They are No. 12 in effective field goal percentage defense, a figure inflated by allowing conference foes to shoot a league-worst 36.7 percent from 3-point range.

The heralded pack line defense has been winless against both Purdue and Michigan in Archie’s tenure. It’s also not very good against the rest of the Big. So what does Indiana do well now? The writing is on the wall for us to give someone else a shot. 

Maybe has something to do with all the wide open threes it allows?