Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

18 hours ago, lillurk said:

1. As mentioned previously, I can see the arguments for Matta but I worry that health, recruiting would hold him back. So a general reminder: you hire coaches for their future, not their pasts.

Matta would need to be able to recruit the way he's recruited in the past.  I'm not sure he could do that at IU.  He's had some great assistant coaches that have helped in this department.  If he could get that again and his back holds up he would kill it at IU.  I'm just not sure we could get out of our own way to let that happen.

20 hours ago, lillurk said:

Two notes on recent tributaries in this discussion:

1. As mentioned previously, I can see the arguments for Matta but I worry that health, recruiting would hold him back. So a general reminder: you hire coaches for their future, not their pasts.

This is a very good point and needs to be remembered. IU struck gold with this line of thinking in the early 70's with Bob Knight and more recently IU Football did the same with Tom Allen. I think any successful institution would tell you that forward-thinking is essential. Past results do not get "grandfathered" into IU's success. We can look at Les Miles with Kansas Football. There are no guarantees for success.

However, I believe an argument can be made that IU's attempts at hiring young "up and comers" (i.e. Crean, Archie... maybe even Davis) have only yielded mild success. We tried to project their success at IU and it just hasn't worked out the way we had hoped. The one time we attempted to hire an experienced, veteran coach with a lot of wins on their resume we saw immediate success. Had he had any desire to follow the rules and maintain any sort of control of the team from an academic and behavioral standpoint I have no doubts he'd still be the coach here today after winning many more games for the Hoosiers.

A common saying I've often heard is that the best indicator of future performance is past performance. Someone like Thad Matta has had a lot of past success in Big Ten and in the state of Indiana. Is that a guarantee he'd succeed at IU? No, it's not. But I think it's more than reasonable he'd have as much chance for success at IU as another "up and comer" who has had one or two good seasons that we're trying to project into 15-20 years of success at IU.

Of course, if Matta isn't healthy... he isn't healthy and the point is moot. But it seems like he has been linked to several job openings over the past few years like Alabama, Ole Miss and most recently Wichita State. That doesn't seem to indicate he's a guy who has retired from coaching high-level college basketball for the rest of his life. Sometimes I wonder if the severity of his back issues are based more on the speculation of the public as opposed to the reality of the situation. But I have no clue how he feels and I imagine there's only a few folks out there who really know that information.

But this is all just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Allow me to suggest one other truly fantastic candidate for the IU head coaching job (should the job open up). I'm a fan to the extent that I suggested him four years ago during the Archie search; he was REALLY young then. But at that time he had already been a G League head coach for over three years. Save this post because this guy is gonna be a very successful head coach before too long. His resume at age 31?

• College Assistant Coach
  • Studied at the feet of Brad Stevens
  • G League head coach for an extended period
  • NBA Head of Player Development
  • Currently in his third year as an NBA Assistant
  • Native Hoosier
  • Incredible personality, incredible competitor
  • Really young--I'm okay with that. Get a gray hair to sit next to him.

Hornets veteran Cody Zeller was particularly ecstatic about his hiring as an NBA Assistant, stating in a tweet that he almost attended Butler University to play alongside him. “He’s a guy that I wanted to go to battle with every night,” Zeller said in the tweet.

If we want to hire a coach for his future? Here's your guy. Here's your chance to roll the dice on a guy that really, truly could be the next Bobby Knight.

Ronald Nored

PS: By the way, when RMK was hired at IU he was exactly 31 years old.

how about a package a la Michigan (Howard w/ Assoc Head Coach Martelli) that goes: Head Coach Nored and Assoc HC Matta?

27 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

how about a package a la Michigan (Howard w/ Assoc Head Coach Martelli) that goes: Head Coach Nored and Assoc HC Matta?

Lol.

Thad Matta is no one’s second chair.

Now Jimmy Crews? That’d work.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Allow me to suggest one other truly fantastic candidate for the IU head coaching job (should the job open up). I'm a fan to the extent that I suggested him four years ago during the Archie search; he was REALLY young then. But at that time he had already been a G League head coach for over three years. Save this post because this guy is gonna be a very successful head coach before too long. His resume at age 31?

• Native Hoosier

Hornets veteran Cody Zeller was particularly ecstatic about his hiring as an NBA Assistant, stating in a tweet that he almost attended Butler University to play alongside him. “He’s a guy that I wanted to go to battle with every night,” Zeller said in the tweet.

If we want to hire a coach for his future? Here's your guy. Here's your chance to roll the dice on a guy that really, truly could be the next Bobby Knight.

Ronald Nored

I like that a lot. Nothing is a guarantee but the guy has a lot to like and a lot of upside. Why not I guess is my response

Most important thing for me is to find someone that is self aware and knows what his/her strengths and weaknesses and hire a staff to compliment those.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol.

actually I think, given his health, Matta might at least ponder it for a moment

not sure what other "gray hair" might be out there at this point in time

• Native Hoosier

Ronald Nored

Never heard of him before this post..... but sign me the hell up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol.

Have heard far, far worse ideas than this one. Nored’s gonna be a great coach somewhere at some point. But, and maybe I’m wrong, Scott Dolson does not strike me as a guy who works without a net. And make no mistake, a hire like that would be working without a net. 

34 minutes ago, Demo said:

Have heard far, far worse ideas than this one. Nored’s gonna be a great coach somewhere at some point. But, and maybe I’m wrong, Scott Dolson does not strike me as a guy who works without a net. And make no mistake, a hire like that would be working without a net. 

I think the net would be ringing endorsements from Cody and a slew of other influential alums and basketball minds

Lol. So Dakich on Twitter said something about IU fans should start listening to him about bball. I just mentioned how Alfords name gets thrown around good or bad. Then he responds calling me legendary stupid because I apparently stated that he said he wanted Alford..... no where in my Tweets did I reference that.

Got to love it lol.

52 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

@stuhoo, two time horizon league defensive player of the year too at Butler. Found that interesting

49 minutes ago, Demo said:

14 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think the net would be ringing endorsements from Cody and a slew of other influential alums and basketball minds

Anyone that would like to throw my name onto the search committee based on this is welcome to do so!    :)

4 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Lol. So Dakich on Twitter said something about IU fans should start listening to him about bball. I just mentioned how Alfords name gets thrown around good or bad. Then he responds calling me legendary stupid because I apparently stated that he said he wanted Alford..... no where in my Tweets did I reference that.

Got to love it lol.

That’s so cool!

Jaybob triggered Dakich!

lol you win the day boobster

That’s so cool!
Jaybob triggered Dakich!
lol you win the day boobster

He actually deleted his tweet. I actually like Dakich even though I don’t agree with him all the time. Guess his butt hole is really small if it gets hurt so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ewwww.

Too much information Jay    ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=17315446&key=75991734d5ee0765ca96219b3e2f5228d84382b4a91114ff8739fd9b8f34cf8e

But is it though, because can you really tell the difference from his head to his a$$?

Regardless, I can take jabs all day long, heck, I’ve had to deal with you all for how long...... some since the Mike Davis era?

3 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

But is it though, because can you really tell the difference from his head to his a$$?
Regardless, I can’t take jabs all day long, heck, I’ve had to deal with you all for how long...... some since the Mike Davis era?

Yes, and you are a good man for doing so.

Dakich’s butthole size takes our discussion to a whole new level by the way. You still win the day in my book!