Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Maybe but we Cody never developed any game beyond a few feet from the rim 
I thought of that as I was typing it but still thought it was funny. He probably would have used tjd same as cody since he can't shoot and is pretty good around the basket. Let everyone else jack threes every trip and hope tjd can get the rebounds and score lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cody never needed to. TJD doesn't even need to. The notion that he needs to be able to shoot 3s or hot mad range shots is absolutely ridiculous. Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Clint Capela and more can't hit a 10 foot shot. TJD needs to worry about being very good and smart on defense(especially pick and roll), hitting layups and having great energy. Rebound and play defense and TJD is good. 
Yes exactly tjd doesn't need a three ball but some 10 15 feet jump shot would be beneficial to him i think. I was just making light of how angry most of us was when creans bigs were out jacking three balls with nobody down low to rebound the ball.

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I thought of that as I was typing it but still thought it was funny. He probably would have used tjd same as cody since he can't shoot and is pretty good around the basket. Let everyone else jack threes every trip and hope tjd can get the rebounds and score lol

Under Archie everyone is so adverse to shooting the 3 that it is no wonder he hasn’t progressed with the outside shot. 

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yes exactly tjd doesn't need a three ball but some 10 15 feet jump shot would be beneficial to him i think. I was just making light of how angry most of us was when creans bigs were out jacking three balls with nobody down low to rebound the ball.

True. It was odd. Which for Cody, only reason he was on the perimeter was because he was faster than basically everybody on the court. Vonleh was at least a 48.5% 3pt shooter at least. 

Cody never needed to. TJD doesn't even need to. The notion that he needs to be able to shoot 3s or hot mad range shots is absolutely ridiculous. Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Clint Capela and more can't hit a 10 foot shot. TJD needs to worry about being very good and smart on defense(especially pick and roll), hitting layups and having great energy. Rebound and play defense and TJD is good. 

I think those guys are more explosive than TJD though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible that he could become a decent threat from 3, but I don't think it's very likely. His jumper isn't just subpar, it's completely nonexistent. He has played 54 games at IU and has shot zero threes. I don't have the stats on his shots outside of the paint, but I can't imagine he has shot very many of those either. He's a bad free throw shooter, too. I know it's common to say "if player X develops a shot, he'll really take his game to another level," I say it too, but it's rare for players to actually do. It's even rarer in instances like TJD where he's starting at square one. Practice is part of it, but part of it is natural too. TJD can practice all he wants and I still don't think he'll ever be a threat outside of the paint. 

His form is decent. He's very coordinated. I think he can become good enough to hit wide open 3s 33% of the time, which would be good enough. He's not a good free throw shooter, but he's not terrible. I don't think he's ever going to be somebody who you want taking a bunch of outside shots or 3s, but I think he at least needs to make the defense think about defending him out there.

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Rabby was just on JMV and had a few interesting things to say. Unfortunately I was picking up my daughter and she thought it was a good time to talk lol. 

If I heard correctly he thought TJD would leave this year to begin his pro career. He made a point to say that does not mean the NBA or bust but that he will have some opportunities to make money after this year. Whether that is overseas or as a prospect that a team may draft hoping he can continue to develop. That would be a huge loss 

He also mentioned that if a coach goes 4 years without making the tournament (daughter started talking here) but I think he suggested that last year may not necessarily be a check mark in the “‘made the tournament box”. Also suggested that not making over a 4 year stretch it is reasonable for the admin to consider a change (I think). 

Might be worth listening to on the podcast later without someone trying to talk to you at the same time.  

peegs was really slow to get on the fire Crean train so Rabbys even moderate pessimism was interesting to hear (if I heard that correctly) 

Its to the point Rabby cant deny it and Id bet the farm TJD is gone.

I think those guys are more explosive than TJD though.

I disagree with that. Capela maybe but TJD is very explosive and athletic. They are all much stronger but they are also in the league. I agree with LCS here it's up to TJD but he can carve himself up a role on a NBA team if he puts in the work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

I disagree with that. Capela maybe but TJD is very explosive and athletic. They are all much stronger but they are also in the league. I agree with LCS here it's up to TJD but he can carve himself up a role on a NBA team if he puts in the work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

TJD is above average athletically in college but not in the NBA. He isn’t going to outsize, outrun, outjump many players in the NBA

i hope for his sake that he has been working on the jump shot and 3 point shot and ready to take it for a test drive soon. 

The way Rabby described it, non NBA professional avenues may be the route he goes. Overseas ball? Maybe that is more attractive than another year at IU. Maybe Rabby is not correct in his assumption but he was not trying to make a case for him being NBA ready but he felt he would likely leave college at the end of the year. 

14 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Seriously, Crean started with dudes working at Starbucks and got to the tourney in four years.  So it can be done.  

But to give credit we would have been in the tourney last year. So really Archie made it in season 3, which is sad that were on the bubble this season. 

But to give credit we would have been in the tourney last year. So really Archie made it in season 3, which is sad that were on the bubble this season. 
Yes probably would have been because we won that big ten tournament game. Its ridiculous it comes down to that though and is nowhere near good enough imo

9 hours ago, 8bucks said:

The way Rabby described it, non NBA professional avenues may be the route he goes. Overseas ball? Maybe that is more attractive than another year at IU. Maybe Rabby is not correct in his assumption but he was not trying to make a case for him being NBA ready but he felt he would likely leave college at the end of the year. 

He has to know and the family has to know that he's not ready. Has no outside jumper, can barely go right, doesn't play hard all the time, jogs back a lot. But maybe they need the money. I think it's funny that his stepdad sent Dakich an email complaining that Dan was saying mean things about TJD

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He has to know and the family has to know that he's not ready. Has no outside jumper, can barely go right, doesn't play hard all the time, jogs back a lot. But maybe they need the money. I think it's funny that his stepdad sent Dakich an email complaining that Dan was saying mean things about TJD

I don't know his whole family situation obviously, but I would have thought he'd be at least ok from a money standpoint considering his dad made millions in the NBA. That's part of why I'm surprised that he'd be ready to leave college, even knowing that he probably can't make the NBA. There are a lot of guys who leave early who can't make the NBA but probably just don't have the ceiling to get there even if they stayed in college, so they might as well just start their pro careers. I don't think TJD is anywhere near his ceiling yet, and so staying would be beneficial long term.

But who knows, maybe he does need the money, and it makes sense to leave, even if the timing isn't perfect. 

If TJD wants to skip out on the college life in exchange to go play in Israel then so be it. He's a long ways away from being able to play with the big boys. I'm afraid the G-League post players would eat on him too. His choice though, personally I'd rather suffer through another season while earning my degree and spending time in an amazing college town like Bloomington (while now being 21+ with bars expecting to return to normal next Fall) but that's just me..

On the Matta front, we can talk about it until next April and that will more than likely be the case. I just can't get behind the logic that these rich boosters are going to spend EXTRA MONEY to hire a coach who hasn't coached in four years, hasn't advance past the Sweet 16 since 2013, hasn't had a good recruiting class since 2014 and was on a downward trend on his way out of OSU. Not to mention the health of his body. He was a great coach at OSU no question about it, but there's some definite flags.