Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup--in a four year stretch with ZERO players who ever became an NBA starter, Matta's OSU teams did this:

2009–10 Ohio State 29–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11 Ohio State 34–3 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Ohio State 31–8 13–5 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2012–13 Ohio State 29–7 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight

Sullinger was a 1st rd pick and started for at least a couple years.

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The thing is, we have no idea if this IU team wins three or four more games pre-NCAA and gets to the Sweet 16 (entirely possible), or completely craps out and doesn't win another game (also possible!).

In other words:

Sasha Banks It Just Depends GIF - SashaBanks ItJustDepends Money GIFs

Read the thread. Parker’s coming and he’s going to Kemba Walker us to the promised land. 

Not necessarily the worst four-year W/L record, by the way. But you can’t find a Knight/Davis/Sampson/Crean single-coach stretch where they missed three tournaments except Crean’s rebuild, the fourth year of which was a sweet sixteen run.

6 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Do you know this, or just guessing?

He obviously is close, as he took two flights to Georgia and left with an offer in hand, only to turn them down. And that was what, 3 years ago? He also met with Ole Miss leadership when that vacancy was up.

Has been reported several times he has interest in returning to coaching, and very well may be just looking for the right fit and situation. Living in Indy, enjoying being close to where his daughter is attending school, taking some time. Again, have no inside information that his back is healthy enough, but also haven't heard anywhere that it isn't. 

I have not spoken to him but everything I read indicates the long recuiting trail is a big ask for him.  Botched surgeries are almost always limiting.

4 minutes ago, CS2 said:

I have not spoken to him but everything I read indicates the long recuiting trail is a big ask for him.  Botched surgeries are almost always limiting.

Gotcha! Didn't know any of the details outside of just "back issues". Had no idea he was dealing with lingering effect from a botched surgery, yikes. 

I do remember hearing he needed a chair to sit in all practice, and he had "drop foot" or something to that degree.

Rabby was just on JMV and had a few interesting things to say. Unfortunately I was picking up my daughter and she thought it was a good time to talk lol. 

If I heard correctly he thought TJD would leave this year to begin his pro career. He made a point to say that does not mean the NBA or bust but that he will have some opportunities to make money after this year. Whether that is overseas or as a prospect that a team may draft hoping he can continue to develop. That would be a huge loss 

He also mentioned that if a coach goes 4 years without making the tournament (daughter started talking here) but I think he suggested that last year may not necessarily be a check mark in the “‘made the tournament box”. Also suggested that not making over a 4 year stretch it is reasonable for the admin to consider a change (I think). 

Might be worth listening to on the podcast later without someone trying to talk to you at the same time.  

peegs was really slow to get on the fire Crean train so Rabbys even moderate pessimism was interesting to hear (if I heard that correctly) 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Rabby was just on JMV and had a few interesting things to say. Unfortunately I was picking up my daughter and she thought it was a good time to talk lol. 

If I heard correctly he thought TJD would leave this year to begin his pro career. He made a point to say that does not mean the NBA or bust but that he will have some opportunities to make money after this year. Whether that is overseas or as a prospect that a team may draft hoping he can continue to develop. That would be a huge loss 

He also mentioned that if a coach goes 4 years without making the tournament (daughter started talking here) but I think he suggested that last year may not necessarily be a check mark in the “‘made the tournament box”. Also suggested that not making it is reasonable for the admin to consider a change (I think). 

Might be worth listening to on the podcast later without someone trying to talk to you at the same time.  

peegs was really slow to get on the fire Crean train so Rabbys even moderate pessimism was interesting to hear (if I heard that correctly) 

Yes, it is because Rabby, Snow, and somewhat Peegs are very tight with Archie. Very rarely do they ever hint anything bad about him. He gives them very nice access to the program. Matt Weaver is a different story, he would have fired Archie last year. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Race moves over for TJD, Brunk is the center, Hunter is the 3, Stewart and Franklin are the guards with Rob, Lander, Trey, Leal, and Logan off the bench. Are we better, I'm not sure but the conference isn't going to be as good next year either. Plus whatever transfer we get Henry, Brooks or someone else. Just trying to answer the question. Also don't be surprised if Stewart doesn't play soon. 

I could see brooks wanting to get away from Kentucky and that train wreck, but how feasible is it to get either one of them next year? 

48 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Two notes on recent tributaries in this discussion:

1. As mentioned previously, I can see the arguments for Matta but I worry that health, recruiting would hold him back. So a general reminder: you hire coaches for their future, not their pasts.

2. I think all of the following can be true at the same time:

- Miller was a fine choice when hired (I’ve registered my preferences elsewhere but this is still true)

-Miller has caught some bad breaks outside his control with injuries and recruiting. However,

-EVERYONE deals with injuries and recruiting disappointments. I don’t really believe IU has had it worse in this regard than anyone. Plus recruiting is his job, having a team deep enough to withstand injuries is his job. IU has kept at least one scholarship open the last two years, so that excuse rings especially hollow.

-IU has underperformed every year under Archie. Even if you say year 1 showed some promise, year 3 was not terrible...sure. Collectively a significant underperformance. If IU misses the tournament this year it will be the worst four-year run under a single coach since Knight took the job.

-Finally, coaches only leave the starting blocks at a school one time. You can start slow and build — that’s what Arch tried to do — but you have to eventually get up to speed. That hasn’t happened.

I think this is all pretty fair. I would quibble with the statement that our recruiting disappointments are similar to other schools. Every school experiences recruiting disappointments, but I think that what happened with the 2018 class was absolute worst case scenario. We got 7 players between 2017 and 2018 (not including Romeo as we knew he wasn't a part of the long term future), and not one is deserving of more than 20 minutes on a decent Big 10 team. Some of that is probably misevaluation, but what happened with Hunter and Phinisee is impossible to plan for. Striking out for 2 straight recruiting classes is not something you can overcome easily.

That said, it's still his job to fix it. He's getting paid a lot of money, and so a lack of results ultimately falls on him whether there are legitimate excuses or not. I think that, even with some of the unfortunate circumstances, the team has underperformed. So I don't think Archie has done anything that necessitates him keeping his job this offseason. If they fired him, I wouldn't fault the administration. But I also don't think IU's future under Archie is hopeless.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

What if there's no grand slam next year, either? Then we've wasted another year, driven more fans away and possibly given the "supportive" fans more reasons to keep him around. 

While saving money and Thad is there, boom! 

The boosters gonna fork over the money for a guy who hasn’t sniffed a basketball in four years and was on a downward trend on his way out of OSU? Last time he won an NCAA game I was a freshman in college. That was YEARS AGO! 

EDIT: Oops, last time he won past the second round I was a freshman in college lol 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think there is a chance we see him this year. 25% chance. He's been working really hard. 

Frankly, there is no reason he shouldn't play.  He's got to be ready, at least for a few min. to provide some offense to stop a 10-0 run.  

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

-IU has underperformed every year under Archie. Even if you say year 1 showed some promise, year 3 was not terrible...sure. Collectively a significant underperformance. If IU misses the tournament this year it will be the worst four-year run under a single coach since Knight took the job.

-Finally, coaches only leave the starting blocks at a school one time. You can start slow and build — that’s what Arch tried to do — but you have to eventually get up to speed. That hasn’t happened.

Seriously, Crean started with dudes working at Starbucks and got to the tourney in four years.  So it can be done.  

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

This very well may be true, but it feels like such a terrible decision. I think it's reasonable to think that he could become a decent threat from 3 if he spent an offseason focusing on it. A reliable jump shot likely puts TJD into the first round and into a team's future plans, whereas now he's an afterthought that maybe could go in the second round.

32 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

This very well may be true, but it feels like such a terrible decision. I think it's reasonable to think that he could become a decent threat from 3 if he spent an offseason focusing on it. A reliable jump shot likely puts TJD into the first round and into a team's future plans, whereas now he's an afterthought that maybe could go in the second round.

It's possible that he could become a decent threat from 3, but I don't think it's very likely. His jumper isn't just subpar, it's completely nonexistent. He has played 54 games at IU and has shot zero threes. I don't have the stats on his shots outside of the paint, but I can't imagine he has shot very many of those either. He's a bad free throw shooter, too. I know it's common to say "if player X develops a shot, he'll really take his game to another level," I say it too, but it's rare for players to actually do. It's even rarer in instances like TJD where he's starting at square one. Practice is part of it, but part of it is natural too. TJD can practice all he wants and I still don't think he'll ever be a threat outside of the paint. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's possible that he could become a decent threat from 3, but I don't think it's very likely. His jumper isn't just subpar, it's completely nonexistent. He has played 54 games at IU and has shot zero threes. I don't have the stats on his shots outside of the paint, but I can't imagine he has shot very many of those either. He's a bad free throw shooter, too. I know it's common to say "if player X develops a shot, he'll really take his game to another level," I say it too, but it's rare for players to actually do. It's even rarer in instances like TJD where he's starting at square one. Practice is part of it, but part of it is natural too. TJD can practice all he wants and I still don't think he'll ever be a threat outside of the paint. 

If only ____ could get a reliable jumpshot. 

How many players have we heard this about? Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Ben Simmons come to mind real quick. 

Would have been fun if crean was still here cause something would have had to give lol. Tjd would be spending just as much time around the perimeter as he was down low and would have been expected to jack several threes up per game lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Would have been fun if crean was still here cause something would have had to give lol. Tjd would be spending just as much time around the perimeter as he was down low and would have been expected to jack several threes up per game lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe but we Cody never developed any game beyond a few feet from the rim 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Maybe but we Cody never developed any game beyond a few feet from the rim 

Cody never needed to. TJD doesn't even need to. The notion that he needs to be able to shoot 3s or hot mad range shots is absolutely ridiculous. Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Clint Capela and more can't hit a 10 foot shot. TJD needs to worry about being very good and smart on defense(especially pick and roll), hitting layups and having great energy. Rebound and play defense and TJD is good.