Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

We can get the best coach possible next year. We save 5 million dollars. I've been on this board for 5 years now, I always see people saying I'm not watching anymore, but the same people are complaining after the next game. Our fans aren't going anywhere. I always crack up at the people that are saying just buy him out, it's no big deal. This isn't fantasy football, 10 million is still 10 million whether it's spread out or not. 

If we're serious about trying to win and be the best, we can't use money as an excuse. Kentucky sure as sh*t wouldn't. 

4 minutes ago, CS2 said:

How are they better next year without TJD?  

Race moves over for TJD, Brunk is the center, Hunter is the 3, Stewart and Franklin are the guards with Rob, Lander, Trey, Leal, and Logan off the bench. Are we better, I'm not sure but the conference isn't going to be as good next year either. Plus whatever transfer we get Henry, Brooks or someone else. Just trying to answer the question. Also don't be surprised if Stewart doesn't play soon. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

If we're serious about trying to win and be the best, we can't use money as an excuse. Kentucky sure as sh*t wouldn't. 

How much can we count on you contributing? Are you good for a million?

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’m good for zero. But there are donors who are good for a million who would pony it up for the right coach. Kentucky would go out and find the money. Duke would too. If Dolson tries and fails that’s one thing. But at least try. The donors can see as well as anyone else that it’s not working. Make them tell you no. 

7 minutes ago, CS2 said:

How are they better next year without TJD?  

Well ideally he's back next year. I have no idea what he's thinking, but if he wants a better shot at the NBA, he should be back. If that's the case, we lose basically nothing, and expect big steps forward from the freshmen + addition of Parker Stewart who will be ready to go right away.

Without TJD, yeah it's a question mark, but there's still time. I think people are expecting the transfer market to be pretty active this offseason. If TJD is gone, this is probably a pretty attractive destination for a big man transfer. But either way, I think there's a good chance the guard play goes from a significant liability to a strength. A healthy Franklin has the upside of an all Big 10 guard. He's been basically relegated to jump shooting since his injury, but he was showing a really good all around game early in the season. Stewart should be a good scorer. Lander has massive upside, but who knows where he'll be next year, but between him, Leal and Galloway, I expect one of the freshmen to be a good contributor next year.

I'm not saying that a step forward is a certainty next year, but I think there are reasonable paths to that being the case. 

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Those two weren’t there long and had very little to do with the sustained success he had throughout his career

Yup--in a four year stretch with ZERO players who ever became an NBA starter, Matta's OSU teams did this:

2009–10 Ohio State 29–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11 Ohio State 34–3 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Ohio State 31–8 13–5 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2012–13 Ohio State 29–7 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight

1 minute ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Can you clarify this? Do you mean that you think Stewart will start playing soon, or that you don't even expect him to play early next year?

I think there is a chance we see him this year. 25% chance. He's been working really hard. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I won't be contributing to the buyout funding. But I consider myself a pro in "how to spend other people's money". I've been doing it with Jerry Reinsdorf's checkbook for years now. Oops - wrong chat. Party on Wayne

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup--in a four year stretch with ZERO players who ever became an NBA starter, Matta's OSU teams did this:

2009–10 Ohio State 29–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11 Ohio State 34–3 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Ohio State 31–8 13–5 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2012–13 Ohio State 29–7 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight

Evan Turner?? Not even sure if he was on these teams but I believe he was a starter in the NBA

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Evan Turner?? Not even sure if he was on these teams but I believe he was a starter in the NBA

True, he was on the first of those four teams. He went on to start about 1/3 of the NBA games he played in over twelve years. Solid--got into double figure NBA ppg three times in 12 years.

44 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You don't pay 10 million in a pandemic to get rid of someone, just to hope to find someone else. Save the money and pay more for a grand slam next year

But the can gets kicked to next year. We make the S16, then we stay in limbo for another year after that. Next thing you know, its 2023 and then we're in a complete rebuild again with a new coach. 

4 hours ago, Treesh said:

It's been discussed. He's been at Baylor since I was in elementary school. The last time they made it past the Sweet 16, I was in high school....

He's seem to have a healthy program there, maybe he could be great at Indiana but the results he's had doesn't scream a top candidate. Hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2013. Looking a little Tom Crean'ish. 

Tom Crean did not get fired for peaking at sweet 16. He got fired for the low points. Had he been able to build a consistent winner here he would be here.  So there is no comparison between Drew and CTC. 

Now if after 8 years of always being in the NCAAs but coming up short I will admit that some here will start to complain about that but that is so far away from where we have been the last 20 years. 

Kind of sad that we are having this discussion again but alot of you have made some very good points. I think that if we don't make the tournament and lose again to purdue you fire archie regardless of buyout or who you can get.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CS2 said:

H isn't health enough for the rugged recruiting road.

Do you know this, or just guessing?

He obviously is close, as he took two flights to Georgia and left with an offer in hand, only to turn them down. And that was what, 3 years ago? He also met with Ole Miss leadership when that vacancy was up.

Has been reported several times he has interest in returning to coaching, and very well may be just looking for the right fit and situation. Living in Indy, enjoying being close to where his daughter is attending school, taking some time. Again, have no inside information that his back is healthy enough, but also haven't heard anywhere that it isn't. 

Two notes on recent tributaries in this discussion:

1. As mentioned previously, I can see the arguments for Matta but I worry that health, recruiting would hold him back. So a general reminder: you hire coaches for their future, not their pasts.

2. I think all of the following can be true at the same time:

- Miller was a fine choice when hired (I’ve registered my preferences elsewhere but this is still true)

-Miller has caught some bad breaks outside his control with injuries and recruiting. However,

-EVERYONE deals with injuries and recruiting disappointments. I don’t really believe IU has had it worse in this regard than anyone. Plus recruiting is his job, having a team deep enough to withstand injuries is his job. IU has kept at least one scholarship open the last two years, so that excuse rings especially hollow.

-IU has underperformed every year under Archie. Even if you say year 1 showed some promise, year 3 was not terrible...sure. Collectively a significant underperformance. If IU misses the tournament this year it will be the worst four-year run under a single coach since Knight took the job.

-Finally, coaches only leave the starting blocks at a school one time. You can start slow and build — that’s what Arch tried to do — but you have to eventually get up to speed. That hasn’t happened.