Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It's been discussed. He's been at Baylor since I was in elementary school. The last time they made it past the Sweet 16, I was in high school....

He's seem to have a healthy program there, maybe he could be great at Indiana but the results he's had doesn't scream a top candidate. Hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2013. Looking a little Tom Crean'ish. 

I guess I'm just basing a lot of it off these last two years. He had a top 5 team last year and had as good a shot as any to win a title these last two years. Plus he has a top 10 recruiting class coming in next year. I'd be pretty confident in the talent he'd bring in here. I think Drew has a chance at some long term success at Baylor and would do the same things here. 

Edited by Unexpectedflash

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Chris Beard already makes $4.575 million annually at Texas Tech.

So it would be a $3 million buyout and $6 million annually. Plus an extended, negotiable $10 million to Archie.

AND, Chris Beard is divorced with three kids living near Lubbock. And his longtime girlfriend is born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. Chris is a dedicated dad who co-parents with his ex in a real way.

The real world often gets in the way of fans' pipe dreams and expectations.

I'll add this:

The highest level coaches wanna get paid commensurate with market value, but when they're making well in excess of $3,000,000 annually, they are guaranteed to forever be extremely wealthy. Especially in light of a 30+ year career at that level--ain't no knee injury gonna slow their roll.

Once that happens, the very few of the very few are motivated by:

• Whether they want to coach in the pros or college,
  • Whether the administration/management will give them the necessary tools to succeed,
  • Whether they want a permanent microscope or not, and 
  • (most importantly) Family considerations, including but not limited to, location.

Given those criteria, Stevens with all four grandparents in Indiana and "I really doubt it" is a better chance than Beard at "no freakin way." 

However, the Boston area is pretty conducive for Stevens to raise his family with his kids considerably less in the microscope than Bloomington. Having lived in both places, most kids in the high-end Boston area will consider his kids "just another classmate" and his family can go to a restaurant in Boston without getting swamped with attention. In fact, he probably gets more (well-meaning) attention from Hoosier transplants and tourists when out and about in the Boston area than he does from the locals.

People on here scoffing at the idea of Thad Matta...... Let's have a looksy in the mirror shall we? I'm not saying he'd be great long term but if you want someone who would almost assuredly get us back on solid ground with potential long term staying power it is him. Not to mention he has always seemingly had good assistants and could groom someone to eventually take over for him if his health is a serious issue. I'm all aboard the Matta train. Clearly I'd rather have Stevens or Beard but Matta seems like a real possibility where as the other 2 do not.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I gotta say, thanks to @Chris007’s activity this morning, I have moved from “IU needs to move on” to “IU is going to move on sometime in the next 14 months,” and it feels good to let that wash over me. 

Archie and the boys are winning the national championship next year! 

34 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I gotta say, thanks to @Chris007’s activity this morning, I have moved from “IU needs to move on” to “IU is going to move on sometime in the next 14 months,” and it feels good to let that wash over me. 

I'm hoping to be on more now that things have gone back to somewhat normal. I really wanted this to work but it just hasn't. So I'm ok with IU moving on, as long as it doesn't affect my status as an employee

So if we decide to move on from Archie, how long of a contract do you give the next guy? If your only giving Archie 4 years, does the next guy get a 3 or 4-year deal? Also, this will be our 5th fired coach in the last 22 years. Not good by the adminstration

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So if we decide to move on from Archie, how long of a contract do you give the next guy? If your only giving Archie 4 years, does the next guy get a 3 or 4-year deal? Also, this will be our 5th fired coach in the last 22 years. Not good by the adminstration

I think six - severn years is going to be the standard contract. Scott might have to work some magic on the buy-out clauses as we've learned in the past ;)

How much money we put out a year will be interesting.. we're going to have to spend $4-5+ million this time around. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I think six - severn years is going to be the standard contract. Scott might have to work some magic on the buy-out clauses as we've learned in the past ;)

How much money we put out a year will be interesting.. we're going to have to spend $4-5+ million this time around. 

I think that's standard but if I'm a coach I'm asking for 7 and putting a huge buyout on it. We're known in the coaching community to jump ship from a guy quickly if things don't go just right. 

I think that's standard but if I'm a coach I'm asking for 7 and putting a huge buyout on it. We're known in the coaching community to jump ship from a guy quickly if things don't go just right. 
"Just right" is very objective. I would say this time around they went nowhere close to right. I could get the argument for Crean being a little off of just right but this one like I said was more like Fauci's first pitch.

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

To me it depends on different factors.  Are we seeing steady improvement?  Are problems being addressed and not lingering?  Do we consistently play hard?  Are we recruiting like we need to be?  I'm ready to move on from Miller because the answers to most (if not all) of those is a resounding no; his tenure has been completely awful.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

To me it depends on different factors.  Are we seeing steady improvement?  Are problems being addressed and not lingering?  Do we consistently play hard?  Are we recruiting like we need to be?  I'm ready to move on from Miller because the answers to most (if not all) of those is a resounding no; his tenure has been completely awful.

I look at it like we missed a few recruiting battles, injuries have been bad, weren't allowed to get rid of Crean guys, and underperformed offensively. I think the young nucleus of this team will be good in a few years whoever is the coach. Everyone looks at it differently. 

Chris Beard already makes $4.575 million annually at Texas Tech.

So it would be a $3 million buyout and $6 million annually. Plus an extended, negotiable $10 million to Archie.

AND, Chris Beard is divorced with three kids living near Lubbock. And his longtime girlfriend is born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. Chris is a dedicated dad who co-parents with his ex in a real way.

The real world often gets in the way of fans' pipe dreams and expectations.

But it's Indiana calling

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'd like to see an option type of contract. 5 year deal and after 2 years a decision is made to extend to 7 with a signing bonus or stay with 5. That would give admin the ability to see if the trajectory is worth investing in or not and it would tell the coach what they are thinking as well. I know this is completely one sided and will never happen but that'd be great for the one side lol. 7 straight up is too much imo. 5 is probably about right but I doubt a coach would sign for 5 so I guess the answer is 6???

Just now, rcs29 said:

I'd like to see an option type of contract. 5 year deal and after 2 years a decision is made to extend to 7 with a signing bonus or stay with 5. That would give admin the ability to see if the trajectory is worth investing in or not and it would tell the coach what they are thinking as well. I know this is completely one sided and will never happen but that'd be great for the one side lol. 7 straight up is too much imo. 5 is probably about right but I doubt a coach would sign for 5 so I guess the answer is 6???

I actually really liked your first idea.