Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think the Knight relationship might actually help IU

Alright we gotta stop. The 2 candidates who definitely aren't coming (Stevens and Beard) all of a sudden might get fired and want to come home, and may want to join his best friend (and mentor?) in Bloomington, respectively. It's Monday morning after a devastating loss....our hearts aren't ready for this roller coaster, buddy. 

28 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I read an article where he had an offer in hand from Georgia. Ended up turning down 5 years $16 million, quoted saying he "Wasn't complete ready to give Georgia what they deserve at this point". So, could read into that several ways. He was also linked to the Wichita State job.

Yeah that's a heck of a quote to put out there if you are indeed ready to be back on the sidelines. Kudos to him for being honest about it though. And I may be wrong, but the Wichita St. thing was only intended to be interim right? B/c Marshall was fired so close to the season, they didn't have many options. Again, I could be wrong there. 

Why would Chris Beard, who appears to love the South, come to Bloomington to start from scratch? He's already being paid good money, his program is good. That's a lot of money to fork over for his buy-out, his new contract, and Archie buy-out. 

He looks like a good candidate and I know I preach a lot about an even more unrealistic option in Brad Stevens. But I just can't buy any stock in having hope Chris wants to save Indiana Basketball.

I need someone to really talk me into Dane Fife. I like Dane but I need some more people talking it up. LOL! 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I never said Beard might get fired. My point all along is you are not paying $10 million to buyout Archie to hire Steve Alford or Dane Fife. That's bad business, especially during a pandemic. It has to be a huge hire that is guaranteed to do it this year. Otherwise, save your money for next year. 

My post was a joke. The may get fired thing was in reference to Stevens from earlier posts in the thread. I was referring to Beard with the "may want to join his best friend..." thing. 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Why would Chris Beard, who appears to love the South, come to Bloomington to start from scratch? He's already being paid good money, his program is good. That's a lot of money to fork over for his buy-out, his new contract, and Archie buy-out. 

He looks like a good candidate and I know I preach a lot about an even more unrealistic option in Brad Stevens. But I just can't buy any stock in having hope Chris wants to save Indiana Basketball.

I need someone to really talk me into Dane Fife. I like Dane but I need some more people talking it up. LOL! 

Dane was a miller lite guy back in college. I would have to see if he has raised his taste in beer. If he has then I will give him a shot, if it's still Miller Lite then I'm a hard no. 

Chris Beard already makes $4.575 million annually at Texas Tech.

So it would be a $3 million buyout and $6 million annually. Plus an extended, negotiable $10 million to Archie.

AND, Chris Beard is divorced with three kids living near Lubbock. And his longtime girlfriend is born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. Chris is a dedicated dad who co-parents with his ex in a real way.

The real world often gets in the way of fans' pipe dreams and expectations.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Chris Beard already makes $4.575 million annually at Texas Tech.

So it would be a $3 million buyout and $6 million annually. Plus an extended, negotiable $10 million to Archie.

AND, Chris Beard is divorced with three kids living near Lubbock. And his longtime girlfriend is born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. Chris is a dedicated dad who co-parents with his ex in a real way.

The real world often gets in the way of fans' pipe dreams and expectations.

Your facts are getting in my way. Back in the Stevens camp then, and beyond that I'm at a complete loss. Being a IU fan is starting to become depressing.

If Matta could get half of the results he had at O$U with the other half still making the tourney we would be absolutely stoooopid not to hire him.  He would, at a minimum, raise the floor of this program and at best have us competing for conference and NCAA titles. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

As much as I like Archie, I do love a good coaching search. The planes, the rumors, the sightings are all the drama I love

We all want success, and when the results aren't being achieved, we resort to hope.  That's why recruiting threads get traffic.  It's a bummer that the team is languishing in the standings, our recruiting momentum is gone, so changing head coach is really the only topic of hope at this point.

BTW, I think somewhere in my bookmarks I stiil have the "Tom Crean fired threads". 

I don't know if he'd be considered but I think Scott Drew would be a really good hire if Archie is fired. Still young at 50 and has some Indiana ties with his Dad and going to Butler. Baylor has been amazing these last two years and I think he'd be able to get us back in the National title contention. He's making under 3 million this year so it would be easier to give him a raise versus someone like Chris Beard. He's been a good recruiter at Baylor and has also shown the ability to develop transfers. Plus his team leads the country in 3 point shooting percentage along with being the best defensive team in the nation.  I miss watching a great shooting team. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Yes his health was back troubles if I remember correctly. Do back problems ever really heal up? I just think we can do better, but I'm probably wrong. 

I’ve kept quiet re: Matta but I think he’s riskier than a coach with his track record seems.

Who knows how the back is, and not only can you map back health with OSU’s decline, but with recruiting decline at OSU, too. If he can’t land top-tier talent anymore, can he win? Probably more than Archie has, but maybe not as much as he did for awhile at OSU.

On the other hand, he recruited Indiana well, his teams were good on both sides of the ball, and if the back’s fine, 53 is young enough to give you twenty good years if he gets it cookin’.

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I don't know if he'd be considered but I think Scott Drew would be a really good hire if Archie is fired. Still young at 50 and has some Indiana ties with his Dad and going to Butler. Baylor has been amazing these last two years and I think he'd be able to get us back in the National title contention. He's making under 3 million this year so it would be easier to give him a raise versus someone like Chris Beard. He's been a good recruiter at Baylor and has also shown the ability to develop transfers. Plus his team leads the country in 3 point shooting percentage along with being the best defensive team in the nation.  I miss watching a great shooting team. 

It's been discussed. He's been at Baylor since I was in elementary school. The last time they made it past the Sweet 16, I was in high school....

He's seem to have a healthy program there, maybe he could be great at Indiana but the results he's had doesn't scream a top candidate. Hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2013. Looking a little Tom Crean'ish.