Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

C-Thomas: Those mid to late sixties teams were not great. We were firmly headed for mediocrity until Coach Knight was hired. He was a complete unknown from a military school.

_________

Not really accurate. Indiana won the Big 10 in the 1966-67 season led by All-Conference point guard Vernon Payne.  Injuries impacted the team's success for a couple of years. But Coach Lou Watson had spectacular recruiting success bringing in high school All Americans Joby Wright, George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Ed Daniels. The front line of McGinnis, Downing and Wright was as good as any IU has ever had.  IU was 17-7 in Lou Watson's final year, 1970-71. Fans were disappointed they didn't win the conference because in those days only the conference champ was eligible to play in the NCAA tournament. Because of the rule prohibiting freshman from playing varsity McGinnis, Downing & Wright only played together one year.  Even with McGinnis going pro, Knight inherited some really good players, including Downing, Wright and John Ritter. IU went to the Final Four in Knight's 2nd season led mostly by players recruited by Lou Watson (except freshman Quinn Buckner whom Knight recruited). Knight was well known as the brightest coach in the country when IU hired him. He had taken his undermanned Army teams to the NIT several times and had been profiled in many national publications. Knight might not have been known to Indiana basketball fans who don't pay attention to anything but IU. But he was well known as the best young coach in the country to anyone who followed college ball in general.

9 hours ago, Demo said:

Sure, it’s slim and none with slim having long ago left town. But I will say this about it: I remembered that Stevens had signed an extension recently, but I didn’t realize it was “only” 6yrs/22mil. So, it’s really not a money thing. 

I believe his wife makes a good amount of money as well as a Lawyer, I could be wrong on that though. 

For the Celtics, Brad's job is completely safe. Danny Ainge, the Boston Celtics GM, came out last week saying it's 100% his own fault for building a bad roster. Does Stevens want to settle for a second round exit for the next five years? Or does he want to come on home to Bloomington and eat free Buffalouis' for life. College recruiting sucks sure but Michigan is doing okay with their assistants doing the recruiting. 

Come home, Brad! 

8 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

C-Thomas: Those mid to late sixties teams were not great. We were firmly headed for mediocrity until Coach Knight was hired. He was a complete unknown from a military school.

_________

Not really accurate. Indiana won the Big 10 in the 1966-67 season led by All-Conference point guard Vernon Payne.  Injuries impacted the team's success for a couple of years. But Coach Lou Watson had spectacular recruiting success bringing in high school All Americans Joby Wright, George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Ed Daniels. The front line of McGinnis, Downing and Wright was as good as any IU has ever had.  IU was 17-7 in Lou Watson's final year, 1970-71. Fans were disappointed they didn't win the conference because in those days only the conference champ was eligible to play in the NCAA tournament. Because of the rule prohibiting freshman from playing varsity McGinnis, Downing & Wright only played together one year.  Even with McGinnis going pro, Knight inherited some really good players, including Downing, Wright and John Ritter. IU went to the Final Four in Knight's 2nd season led mostly by players recruited by Lou Watson (except freshman Quinn Buckner whom Knight recruited). Knight was well known as the brightest coach in the country when IU hired him. He had taken his undermanned Army teams to the NIT several times and had been profiled in many national publications. Knight might not have been known to Indiana basketball fans who don't pay attention to anything but IU. But he was well known as the best young coach in the country to anyone who followed college ball in general.

So who’s the current equivalent of that?

i hate to say it... if IU does decide to move on from our current coach, i agree with the majority... It must be a home-run hire otherwise i will never see another banner won in my lifetime. We are way over the line of mediocracy. It's so very depressing and disappointing. 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

i hate to say it... if IU does decide to move on from our current coach, i agree with the majority... It must be a home-run hire otherwise i will never see another banner won in my lifetime. We are way over the line of mediocracy. It's so very depressing and disappointing. 

I think that misses the point.

Thinking that “home run hire” is the goal would be like a coach telling the team that their strategy is “let’s score more!”

Home run hires are very very seldom obvious and there for the having. If they’re a home run the place that they’re at values them and rewards them. Sure, Mark Few or Brad Stevens would be a “home run hire.” Gonzaga and the Celtics are well aware that every program covets them, and has taken according measures to insure they do not leave.

So, the question becomes who is an attainable coach with the potential to be a home run hire?

That’s why I keep looking for info on guys like Alexander, Devries, Fife, Craig Smith, even Mike Miller or Udonis Haslem.

I doubt there is another Bobby Knight out there. Knight was unique. He made news in New York during Army's NIT appearances in the late 1960s because his teams played so far above their talent level and because the 20-something Knight came across like a James Dean character which the NY media loved.The choices now are either to try to hire someone who has already had some success like Chris Beard or even Bruce Pearl. Frankly, IU is a hard sell these days to experienced coaches. Or, find someone who is coaching very successfully at a smaller school, someone who is highly regarded. I don't know who that might be. I don't believe IU could have predicted that Archie would struggle. His tenure at Dayton seemed to indicate he was ready and able to compete in the Big Ten Conference. Unfortunately, his offense is dated, from another time--like from the 80s--and he doesn't seem capable of motivating his players, at least these players. As others have pointed out, his recruiting has not panned out as some believed it would. I believe Archie understood that Rob Phinisee was not the answer for point guard which is why he has tried to bring in other more highly rated point guards. Not bringing in shooters has been his biggest recruiting failure. It doesn't matter because IU is not firing Archie Miller--at least not at the end of this season.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Thinking that “home run hire” is the goal would be like a coach telling the team that their strategy is “let’s score more!”

Home run hires are very very seldom obvious and there for the having. If they’re a home run the place that they’re at values them and rewards them. Sure, Mark Few or Brad Stevens would be a “home run hire.” Gonzaga and the Celtics are well aware that every program covets them, and has taken according measures to insure they do not leave.

So, the question becomes who is an attainable coach with the potential to be a home run hire?

That’s why I keep looking for info on guys like Alexander’s, Devries, Fife, Craig Smith, even Mike Miller or Udonis Haslem.

More a question for you - but looking at Alexander's coaching record it's not very lengthy and his years at Libscomb, which has been his longest stay, don't blow you away outside of his last year. He's winning at Belmont largely with players recruited by his predecessor, without looking at the roster. His Belmont record is outstanding, but not to diminish the OVC, but it's a step or two below the A-10 where IU snagged Archie from.

I'm waving the white flag and saying there needs a change, but any qualms about Alexander's success translating to the Big10? It's not a perfect science by any means, but when I looked at his Wiki page I wasn't left with the thought "we need this guy". I can be convinced otherwise pretty easily the more I watch these slogs from IU, but just curious your take on Alexander specifically.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s why I keep looking for info on guys like Alexander’s, Devries, Fife, Craig Smith, even Mike Miller or Udonis Haslem.

It appears Alexander played at Bellmont and has coached at Bellmont as an AC for several years. Seems like he might have his dream gig from an outsider's perspective. 

Udonis is shooting for an NBA gig. Mike Miller coaches HS basketball now, perhaps he didn't like the college coaching? I mean he's coaching his son so it's different perhaps but Memphis to HS basketball is volunteer change that not many people would consider.

Also I'm afraid hiring a no-name would cause our fan-base to separate even more. If they fail as much as Archie then this program is done. But maybe a no-name leads us to a 6th banner? It's more likely we hire a no-name or a C-List name than a home-run but boy oh boy things could get ugly if the next coach fails. 

Hopefully IU football pans out soon.. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It appears Alexander played at Bellmont and has coached at Bellmont as an AC for several years. Seems like he might have his dream gig from an outsider's perspective. 

Udonis is shooting for an NBA gig. Mike Miller coaches HS basketball now, perhaps he didn't like the college coaching? I mean he's coaching his son so it's different perhaps but Memphis to HS basketball is volunteer change that not many people would consider.

Also I'm afraid hiring a no-name would cause our fan-base to separate even more. If they fail as much as Archie then this program is done. But maybe a no-name leads us to a 6th banner? It's more likely we hire a no-name or a C-List name than a home-run but boy oh boy things could get ugly if the next coach fails. 

Hopefully IU football pans out soon.. 

No. What will cause our fanbase to separate even more is LOSING more.

Nebraska replaced Tim Miles with what could be considered a "home run hire" (at least for them). Hoiberg had a very successful run in the B1G 12 followed by getting an NBA pedigree. His Nebraska teams kinda suck bad. That first year of "we got our savior" wore off completely when the team continued to suck. Nebraska wishes they had Miles back.

WINNING WINNING WINNING! That's entirely what matters.

I had a conversation with a buddy last night about this, who said it has to be a home run hire...Honestly, I just want someone who can freaking coach. Someone who has had sustained success, at any level. That is what scares me about the Mike White, Oates, Alexander names being throw out. I understand they have had relative success for a season or two, but what have they done that makes us think they will have long term success here?

I know someone mentioned it earlier, and it will never happen, but if we go with an "unknown" or another "up and coming coach", I'd roll the dice on Greg Tonagel. Especially over a coach who only has 1-2 years of success, and certainly if they are coming from a lower conference.

Tonagel has done nothing but win, and win, and win....

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My opinion on this if we're going to pay the buyout, then you better have someone good lined up. Someone mentioned that Thad Matta has told IU he would be interested. To me, that is not an HR hire. 

What about him makes you think it's not a HR hire? My only concern with him would be his health. If he's healthy and ready to coach again, I'd be pumped to land him. He was great at OSU. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My opinion on this if we're going to pay the buyout, then you better have someone good lined up. Someone mentioned that Thad Matta has told IU he would be interested. To me, that is not an HR hire. 

Honest question. If Matta doesn't fall into the good category, who in your opinion does? 

Personally, I'd take a coach who had sustained success at OSU prior to his health failing him, than an up and coming coach who has had a few years of success. 

11 hours ago, Treesh said:

If Brad says he wants to come home this summer I will donate money to the buyout cause myself. It won’t be much, but it’s the effort that counts!

That article was written by an IU grad who is not happy with Archie. So not sure how much I believe that. 

I don't get the Thad buzz. He hasn't coached a game of basketball in four years!

Will I take him over Steve Alford, of course. But someone who hasn't been involved in any capacity with college basketball the last four years doesn't sound appealing or smart. Do kids even remember who he was? Probably not.

Could he coach still, maybe!

Does he still have recruiting ties, could he put together a good staff after being away for four years? 

I don't trust it. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What about him makes you think it's not a HR hire? My only concern with him would be his health. If he's healthy and ready to coach again, I'd be pumped to land him. He was great at OSU. 

He's old, doesn't have great health, and was mediocre at the end of his OSU run