Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

In retrospect, it's amazing how much like **** this fan base treated Mike Davis.  Absolutely he wasn't a great X and O's guy, but I still remember some fellow IU fans who said they were actively rooting for us to lose the title game because if we won then "Davis would be here forever".

Yea but that was following bob knight and alot of fans were rooting against us. I know several people that quit liking iu when bob was fired. They admitted they were more bob fans than iu. Its not surprising bob and Mike Davis were polar opposite coaches as far as demeanor on sideline goes. When I was a kid alot of people would say they like iu but not bob knight those people were probably happy with davis the other side went and bought texas tech hats lol. Way to many texas tech hats were in indiana

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yea but that was following bob knight and alot of fans were rooting against us. I know several people that quit liking iu when bob was fired. They admitted they were more bob fans than iu. Its not surprising bob and Mike Davis were polar opposite coaches as far as demeanor on sideline goes. When I was a kid alot of people would say they like iu but not bob knight those people were probably happy with davis the other side went and bought texas tech hats lol. Way to many texas tech hats were in indiana

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is the thing, though:  Mike Davis was a Bob Knight hire.  In the immediate aftermath when IU wasn't sure what route they were going to go, I heard Davis on an ESPN radio show defending Bob Knight and saying he had contacted him -- left phone messages -- asking Bob what he thought he should do.  Knight refused to return messages.  I think there were certainly a significant number of fans who followed Knight's lead when he basically treated Davis as someone who turned his back on him.

To this day, there are IU fans who don't want Alford to coach here NOT because of the the Pierre Pierce situation or because they don't think he's a good coach, but rather because 'he was the guy who betrayed Knight and stole Luke Recker'.  I guess I won't ever get those fans who were IU/Texas Tech fans.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

To this day, there are IU fans who don't want Alford to coach here NOT because of the the Pierre Pierce situation or because they don't think he's a good coach, but rather because 'he was the guy who betrayed Knight and stole Luke Recker'.  I guess I won't ever get those fans who were IU/Texas Tech fans.

On the old IU boards, there was a term for those people: loopers. I'm not sure how it came about. 

And then there were fans who supported Mike Davis and Bob Knight.  I was an IU fan first and wanted Texas Texh to win 2nd.  Then Mike Davis set records for losing that IU had never seen before.  Then Mike Davis seemed to blame us fans for losing by telling us "we had no idea what we were doing to this team".  Then it was over for me.  He deserved to be fired.

Just now, Josh said:

And then there were fans who supported Mike Davis and Bob Knight.  I was an IU fan first and wanted Texas Texh to win 2nd.  Then Mike Davis set records for losing that IU had never seen before.  Then Mike Davis seemed to blame us fans for losing by telling us "we had no idea what we were doing to this team".  Then it was over for me.  He deserved to be fired.

I'm not sure what 'setting records for losing that IU had never seen before" that you are referring to.  The transition from McCracken to Knight saw us go 69-77.  If you are comparing Davis winning percentage to Knight's, that was one he wasn't going to match.  

And I agree there were fans like you who supported both Davis and Knight.  I have zero problem with that.  My point was to those fans who rooted actively for Knight to succeed and Davis to fail.  My point was also not on the firing of Davis when he was fired, but rather specific to those who rooted openly for immediate failure.  I wish I could say that it was just a couple of fans I knew, but it wasn't.

24 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

This is the thing, though:  Mike Davis was a Bob Knight hire.  In the immediate aftermath when IU wasn't sure what route they were going to go, I heard Davis on an ESPN radio show defending Bob Knight and saying he had contacted him -- left phone messages -- asking Bob what he thought he should do.  Knight refused to return messages.  I think there were certainly a significant number of fans who followed Knight's lead when he basically treated Davis as someone who turned his back on him.

I'm biased, admittedly when it comes to discussing Recker, but if people think Alford "stole" Recker they need a dose of reality. Recker transferred to Arizona and only after his tragic car wreck did he transfer to Iowa, more so to be closer to home. I'd never heard of that before, so I'll take your word for it, but it's not centered in any reality.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm not sure what 'setting records for losing that IU had never seen before" that you are referring to.  The transition from McCracken to Knight saw us go 69-77.  If you are comparing Davis winning percentage to Knight's, that was one he wasn't going to match.  

And I agree there were fans like you who supported both Davis and Knight.  I have zero problem with that.  My point was to those fans who rooted actively for Knight to succeed and Davis to fail.  My point was also not on the firing of Davis when he was fired, but rather specific to those who rooted openly for immediate failure.  I wish I could say that it was just a couple of fans I knew, but it wasn't.

I can remember iu losing 5 games out of 6, which hadn't been seen in forever ( until Archie made that seem like a small losing streak).  You don't remember that?  

I didn't ever see the fans who wanted Davis to fail from the start.  Everybody I knew was hopeful that we could continue success.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Those mid to late sixties teams were not great. We were firmly headed for mediocrity until Coach Knight was hired. He was a complete unknown from a military school. I can't even imagine the reaction if we did something like that now. There are no magic bullets. The next coach will be just as much of a carp shoot as the last few have been. A successful coach in one situation might not be successful in this one. Coach Crean got to a final four. CAM took Dayton to the sweet sixteen. Not bad resumes. Didn't and hasn't worked here. I guess I don't understand what makes anyone think that the next hire will. I get that a change may be necessary, but I don't think that will necessarily get us where most want to go.

43 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/celtics-fans-want-brad-stevens-fired-after-latest-meltdown-01ez3fvjxhgt/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Always fun to throw another log on the fire that is complete dead end magical thinking.

If Brad says he wants to come home this summer I will donate money to the buyout cause myself. It won’t be much, but it’s the effort that counts!

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If Brad says he wants to come home this summer I will donate money to the buyout cause myself. It won’t be much, but it’s the effort that counts!

Sure, it’s slim and none with slim having long ago left town. But I will say this about it: I remembered that Stevens had signed an extension recently, but I didn’t realize it was “only” 6yrs/22mil. So, it’s really not a money thing. 

26 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Those mid to late sixties teams were not great. We were firmly headed for mediocrity until Coach Knight was hired. He was a complete unknown from a military school. I can't even imagine the reaction if we did something like that now. There are no magic bullets. The next coach will be just as much of a carp shoot as the last few have been. A successful coach in one situation might not be successful in this one. Coach Crean got to a final four. CAM took Dayton to the sweet sixteen. Not bad resumes. Didn't and hasn't worked here. I guess I don't understand what makes anyone think that the next hire will. I get that a change may be necessary, but I don't think that will necessarily get us where most want to go.

CAM took Dayton to an Elite Eight also 

10 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO one of the better articles discussing where IU basketball is today and the conclusion is it's time to cut the cord.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller?fbclid=IwAR18EwLyMeQ7DIrbcrTnbLkPKoHXi9UUdqFp4PBm_i8rBkh_Mv_YdMYLxoU

Wow Thanks Great article. That pretty much sums it up 100%

24 minutes ago, Demo said:

Sure, it’s slim and none with slim having long ago left town. But I will say this about it: I remembered that Stevens had signed an extension recently, but I didn’t realize it was “only” 6yrs/22mil. So, it’s really not a money thing. 

6 years/22 million was his prior extension I believe. He signed another extension last August for unknown terms.

@ people that defended Archie over the years, even through much of this year, what was it that finally broke the camels back?
this isn’t meant as a gotcha at all, I’m just curious how the half that had faith in him all of a sudden lost it. His support from this crowd seems to have vanished in the last 3 weeks or so and I’m just curious why?

I’ll take the bait. I’ve supported Archie, and I will continue to support him, but this year has been the moment for me. I will support him I want him to do good, but I do not think he is the answer. I was excited about the hire, I liked his defense philosophy I liked his good old stay old philosphy, but it hasn’t panned out. And what has really made me
Break is it doesn’t show any signs of panning out. And lots of games this season have just been painful to watch, including multiple wins.

However, that being said, my bigger stance, and it has been this for awhile, is I don’t want to see us fire a Dayton Archie Miller to turn around and hire another Dayton Archie Miller type and play this game again.

My hope is that Dolson sees the writing on the wall and his doing his due diligence and we will continue to see Archie Miller at the helm until we know we can hire a solid winner. I fully expect Archie back next year, and I hope they do well. I don’t want us to be forced to fire a coach because they have another terrible terrible year. I would like us to move on from a coach because we have a far superior coach lined up. I have no problem admitting I was wrong about Archie, I just don’t want to admit I was wrong about the next one, I want us to play this smart and weather the storm is we have to until we get THE guy not a Could he the guy.

Go Hoosiers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app