Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Lander has airballed alot of shots no arguing that but our guards as a whole have put up some of the worst looking misses in iu basketball recent history. I mean open looks that only catch the backboard and no where near the rim is as bad as a airball imo. Shooting under archie miller has been a disaster as not one single player has developed into a consistent shooter. We have zero guys that when the shot goes up we think that is going in. At least for me I think every shot that goes up is probably missing and its getting old

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’d love to hear from someone more in tune, not sure if that’s you or not, with the inner workings of the campus and program if the Covid restrictions have limited the time available to players in Cook Hall? Not an excuse for the poor shooting, as it’s been a 4 year problem, but I’d be interested to hear if this year has been different in getting that extra work in especially as each air ball is thrown up on gamedays

I’d love to hear from someone more in tune, not sure if that’s you or not, with the inner workings of the campus and program if the Covid restrictions have limited the time available to players in Cook Hall? Not an excuse for the poor shooting, as it’s been a 4 year problem, but I’d be interested to hear if this year has been different in getting that extra work in especially as each air ball is thrown up on gamedays
I am not in tune and really doubt many posters on here are even chris said he don't have the access he did because of covid. That being said I am confident our guys have had the access all teams have had and probably more than smaller schools. I would also guess that practicing shooting on their own time would not have been restricted much. I will get behind it hampering lander in getting experience in spring in summer because of certain restrictions. Our shooting is a pandemic in its own right under archie so I don't think covid has influenced it. I would say guessing but it almost has to be working on defense more than shooting. Crean was big on getting shots up in practice and on their own time that was his big thing was shot numbers and it showed we had some great shooters but terrible defense. I would guess archie hasn't valued that as much and it is hurting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Prediction:

IU misses the tournament - completely loses the remainder of the fanbase, recruiting stalls further, yet he lives on to coach next year. We go into year 5 unranked with no excitement for the new season.

next year we see a ton of the same, but are an 11 seed and make the tourney, lose first game, fanbase screams for a change and he is extended more years as you can’t fire a coach that made the tourney and we all die a little inside and turn into nebraskaball

If this comes to reality, I either become a college basketball "agnostic" or purdue fan.  Almost certainly the former, not the latter.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO one of the better articles discussing where IU basketball is today and the conclusion is it's time to cut the cord.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller?fbclid=IwAR18EwLyMeQ7DIrbcrTnbLkPKoHXi9UUdqFp4PBm_i8rBkh_Mv_YdMYLxoU

No new insight here, but he makes the case concisely and , in my opinion, irrefutably.  Unless something pretty staggering happens over the next month, there really is no non-financial argument for moving forward with Miller. 

IMO one of the better articles discussing where IU basketball is today and the conclusion is it's time to cut the cord.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller?fbclid=IwAR18EwLyMeQ7DIrbcrTnbLkPKoHXi9UUdqFp4PBm_i8rBkh_Mv_YdMYLxoU
That is a good read, he must tune into the boards because it is what everyone here has said.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

There is a good chance next year that we'll have a pretty darn good team if TJD returns and our freshman develop. I mean come on, Lander in high school right now would be putting up 20+PPG, he's adjustment to the speed of the game in the best conference in America. Kids develop at different rates, I'd like to think we all agree he's going to be alright come a couple years from now.

We add in Parker, a proven shooter and D1 player. We add Joey back for backcourt, senior leadership depth. Our freshman improve with the hopes of Trey learning how to shoot, Leal improving his scoring abilities, and Jordan improving his offensive abilities.. there's a chance. This is Archie's best class without a doubt. Yes we can have the fans say "Archie can't develop players" blah blah blah. Well if Race and Frank improved this much on their own then I'd like to think they'll take the freshman under their wings this summer with a full offseason program.

If all things go somewhat OK on paper.. we could make a nice little appearance in March Madness next year. A deep run could save Archie's job next year. 

But it's all If of course. 

We’ve been saying “if XYZ happen then we might be a good team next year” for four years now. It hasn’t happened. No one should expect anything different come next season. 

@ people that defended Archie over the years, even through much of this year, what was it that finally broke the camels back?

this isn’t meant as a gotcha at all, I’m just curious how the half that had faith in him all of a sudden lost it. His support from this crowd seems to have vanished in the last 3 weeks or so and I’m just curious why?

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

@ people that defended Archie over the years, even through much of this year, what was it that finally broke the camels back?

this isn’t meant as a gotcha at all, I’m just curious how the half that had faith in him all of a sudden lost it. His support from this crowd seems to have vanished in the last 3 weeks or so and I’m just curious why?

I was on the fence last year but most said this year we would be top 25 and ready to go. Instead we have looked worse at times and I have no confidence in Archie being successful at this level 

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I personally had enough when we lost to Purdue again this year.  Also, I was giving him time to get his "old" team that he wants.  It doesn't matter old or young, every team he puts on the floor looks the same and it doesn't turn my crank!  Very boring basketball to watch imo.  Watching missed free throw after missed free throw really makes my blood pressure sky-rocket!

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We’ve been saying “if XYZ happen then we might be a good team next year” for four years now. It hasn’t happened. No one should expect anything different come next season. 

Ehhh I’d say past years XYZ were not very promising. We haven’t had a player like TJD and we never add the potential depth like we could next year. It sure wasn’t last year. I don’t think anyone expected our freshman class to be good. 

34 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It wasn’t just one thing for me but the moment I made a big mental turn was the Purdue game. The looks on their faces and their demeanor the whole game was that they already knew they were going to win that game. So much more ready and prepared. There is the laundry list of everything else we all discuss that was already boiling beneath the surface. But that game was the straw. 

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Prediction:

IU misses the tournament - completely loses the remainder of the fanbase, recruiting stalls further, yet he lives on to coach next year. We go into year 5 unranked with no excitement for the new season.

next year we see a ton of the same, but are an 11 seed and make the tourney, lose first game, fanbase screams for a change and he is extended more years as you can’t fire a coach that made the tourney and we all die a little inside and turn into nebraskaball

In all honesty, that's why it may be more financially expedient to pay the buyout now. As much as the admins have botched the program, they truly do know your scenario is a viable option that they'd prefer to avoid. 

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Ehhh I’d say past years XYZ were not very promising. We haven’t had a player like TJD and we never add the potential depth like we could next year. It sure wasn’t last year. I don’t think anyone expected our freshman class to be good. 

We had a senior Juwan Morgan and Romeo Langford on Archie’s second team. That looked really promising. But then we went from 12-2 to 13-14 and the rest was history. 

Our freshman class might take a giant step forward next year, but right now the four of them are combining for 8.7 ppg on a mediocre team. If they do, great, but I wouldn’t count on them to be major contributors next season. 

The road to being a great team next year requires a ton of ifs, as you said.

- If TJD returns

- if Joey Brunk returns

- if Trey learns to shoot

- if Leal/Geronimo/Lander improve their      offense

- if Stewart can shoot the ball well for us.

After being jaded for 4 years by Archie Miller teams, I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then, I’ll expect more of the same.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I agree with his points, basically what's being said on the board in a nicer way of course.

Would like to see more articles like this with actual potential candidates to replace him. Firing him tomorrow and hiring a no name will cost a pretty penny. Seems like a smarter investment to keep him until his buy-out is less and hire a no-name. A year isn't going to do much of a difference --- the fans are already losing hope / gone and COVID will limit our income next year anyways. 

The contenders are out there, not the candidates. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We had a senior Juwan Morgan and Romeo Langford on Archie’s second team. That looked really promising. But then we went from 12-2 to 13-14 and the rest was history. 

Our freshman class might take a giant step forward next year, but right now the four of them are combining for 8.7 ppg on a mediocre team. If they do, great, but I wouldn’t count on them to be major contributors next season. 

The road to being a great team next year requires a ton of ifs, as you said.

- If TJD returns

- if Joey Brunk returns

- if Trey learns to shoot

- if Leal/Geronimo/Lander improve their      offense

- if Stewart can shoot the ball well for us.

After being jaded for 4 years by Archie Miller teams, I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then, I’ll expect more of the same.

Romeo was hurt the entire year and he's still hurt with the Boston Celtics. He hasn't played this year and isn't expected to come back until next month. His stint at IU was not an accurate representation of his abilities and It's not Archie's fault entirely.  Morgan did what he could along side a hurt NBA player and a walk-on. 

It hasn't been good for Archie and the program but if theres a year where he has a legit shot of being realistically good, then it's next year. It's obvious he's more than likely gone after next season but he'll get a chance to save his job this up-coming year. The tend says next year won't be good but it's basketball, crazier things have happened in the history of the sport. 

35 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I personally had enough when we lost to Purdue again this year.  Also, I was giving him time to get his "old" team that he wants.  It doesn't matter old or young, every team he puts on the floor looks the same and it doesn't turn my crank!  Very boring basketball to watch imo.  Watching missed free throw after missed free throw really makes my blood pressure sky-rocket!

He apparently isn’t good at the getting old and staying old thing.   In year 4 Archie has the second youngest team in the B1G according to Ken Pom.    Purdue is the youngest team 

3 hours ago, IU-DL said:

Or - all this happens & Leal/Galloway/Lander become excellent guards and we compete. Some forget that Archie turned Dayton into a regular competitor - it's not like he took over a power house. Dragging IU out of the gutter is a far bigger problem than many of us may realize. I'm not saying Archie is the guy to do it, but when you have negative production at the guard position from upperclassmen, it's hard to win. And...Archie can't "make" some kids get better. Some of these young men have hit their ceilings quickly, and they're not very high. I realize I'll probably be lit up for this post as Archie-optimism isn't a popular topic, but he still has a couple of very clear inconsistencies resulting in problems (losses) on this roster. Race, TJD and AF have developed quite nicely. I think we'll see the same out of Leal and Galloway. And Geronimo. I love IU and I have to find some layer of optimism or just give up. I'm not willing to give up.

Archie's problem is Archie.  He won't adapt.  Thus he'll continue to be a mid-major coach.   And that is what he brought IU.