Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

13 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think there’s a reasonably likely scenario that’s an even more extreme version of this. Stumble into the NIT or barely the NCAAs this year...but then TJD unexpectedly comes back a la Donsunmu and IU is quite good next year as this year’s freshmen contribute more and Stewart adds some dependable backcourt scoring.

So then Arch gets an extension, Lander and TJD leave, and we’re right back where we’ve been for three years.

Yeah, that’s kinda the scenario I drew up - IU being just good enough next year to make the tourney and he gets extended. That’s worst case scenario IMO and it is also fairly likely.

I don’t want to root for them to lose but doing the bare minimum has become the norm around here and people are rightfully upset

Playing devil’s advocate, what about this scenario:
- TJD stays and Lander develops enough to take over for Rob as the starter. Starters are Lander, Armaan, Hunter, Race, and Trace. We are a top 20 team with Brunk, Rob, all the current freshman and Duncomb on the bench.
If that happens, how would you feel? Not saying it will, but just all hypothetical.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yeah, that’s kinda the scenario I drew up - IU being just good enough next year to make the tourney and he gets extended. That’s worst case scenario IMO and it is also fairly likely.

I don’t want to root for them to lose but doing the bare minimum has become the norm around here and people are rightfully upset

Or - all this happens & Leal/Galloway/Lander become excellent guards and we compete. Some forget that Archie turned Dayton into a regular competitor - it's not like he took over a power house. Dragging IU out of the gutter is a far bigger problem than many of us may realize. I'm not saying Archie is the guy to do it, but when you have negative production at the guard position from upperclassmen, it's hard to win. And...Archie can't "make" some kids get better. Some of these young men have hit their ceilings quickly, and they're not very high. I realize I'll probably be lit up for this post as Archie-optimism isn't a popular topic, but he still has a couple of very clear inconsistencies resulting in problems (losses) on this roster. Race, TJD and AF have developed quite nicely. I think we'll see the same out of Leal and Galloway. And Geronimo. I love IU and I have to find some layer of optimism or just give up. I'm not willing to give up.

3 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

- TJD stays and Lander develops enough to take over for Rob as the starter. Starters are Lander, Armaan, Hunter, Race, and Trace. We are a top 20 team with Brunk, Rob, all the current freshman and Duncomb on the bench.
If that happens, how would you feel? Not saying it will, but just all hypothetical.

I’d feel GREAT if we became a top 20 team!

As long as it’s still an “if” I still don’t feel great.

11 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Would love to know how we stand with merchandise revenue currently.

Well I for one have a lot of IU gear and have not bought anything last yr or this yr. I had always bought plenty of gear every year. I don't even fly the colors anymore because I'm embarrassed by the product on the floor last 2 yrs. If I'm any indication, then IU merch sales way down. It's time for a better product in the basketball program. What do corporations do when the leader isn't getting results....

56 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I’m all in for the Reddit approach. What do you suggest? I can’t take another 20 years of s__t basketball.

It would take some unification from IU fans, multiple boards and social media posters and beyond bonding together for some action. 

it could be as easy, little as a million online signatures that addressed the love and passion of those signing and the displeasure for the product we have.

An option that is a bit more to bite off is the same but backing it with a million dollars to help aid, support and force action. Crowd sourced million dollars to be paid out if used before April of next year to replace Archie. If the school didn’t use it before then for said action, dollars would be returned to the donor - a go fund me type if you will.

the fans are hungry, tired and I don’t think it is at all crazy to think we could get 50,000 people to pay $20 each. Of course donate more/less but that would be a message of support that goes beyond individuals bitching on message boards.

while a million doesn’t cover the buyout all in number, that all in number isn’t a real number and a million up front would go a long long way

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Casey Alexander really knows what he’s doing.

I’ve only watched part of one of their games this season. But what I’ve heard most about them is they can shoot and they pass the ball really well. The part of one game I watched backed that up. 

If TJD comes back, Lander makes a leap, and we’re only top 20, I won’t be impressed. Top 20 in year five after an all-American and most of the rest of your roster returns? That’s not a high bar at IU, especially when it’s your best work of the five years.

It would also make a difference what comes after. If recruiting is middling, development of the other freshman is just average, say TJD leaves as does one of Lander or Franklin...well then we’re back on the bubble. Arch has to prove he can do more with the resources he’s got, because half this board could be a bubble team with the resources at IU.

Whether Indy Star writers are biased or not I don't know, but at least it's out there now. The general fan that roots for IU but doesn't follow boards sees now that there IS a problem. The seed has been planted. Their articles are not wrong. Just pretty much saying what we already know & have known for 1 3/4 yrs. CAM is getting millions, MILLIONS, to put a product on the floor that is competitive. Hasn't happened. The team reflects the coaching staff. Glass struck out. "Me thinks" he saw it coming and bailed. He prolly figured out after 1st yr CAM was a  bad hire. CAM is mid major material and no better. Recruiting is going to fail miserably because of it. Sure plenty of kids would love to play for IU but are they the caliber IU needs. 

Underwood-Illinois  

Holtmann-Ohio State

Pikiell-Rutgers

This is just in the B1G

nuff said

Money is the issue until a booster is willing to pay it. The boosters can give the money for the buyout and if Iu doesn’t want to move on, then they can withhold their donations. Pretty simple. OldFriend was on here last week talking about the person whose name is on the building is pissed of about the product. Well she alone can influence a change. But she wouldn’t be the only one if it came to it. 
Yeah I thought the same thing. When that level of donor is angry I'm sure they're not alone from a donor perspective. And if that is in fact true I believe he'll be let go after this season. No clue if it's true or not though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’m all in for the Reddit approach. What do you suggest? I can’t take another 20 years of s__t basketball.
I'm also on board. I'm also not sure what the approach would be

Well I for one have a lot of IU gear and have not bought anything last yr or this yr. I had always bought plenty of gear every year. I don't even fly the colors anymore because I'm embarrassed by the product on the floor last 2 yrs. If I'm any indication, then IU merch sales way down. It's time for a better product in the basketball program. What do corporations do when the leader isn't getting results....
I wonder though if the football program has helped offset that??

43 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Honestly, at this point I just want Archie gone. Even if your scenario played out. His teams play ugly, boring, uninspired basketball. Even the wins are chores to get through more often than not. I’ve only enjoyed watching a handful of games this year. Crean’s teams were usually at least fun to watch because they could shoot. 

9 minutes ago, ILHoosier said:

Whether Indy Star writers are biased or not I don't know, but at least it's out there now. The general fan that roots for IU but doesn't follow boards sees now that there IS a problem. The seed has been planted. Their articles are not wrong. Just pretty much saying what we already know & have known for 1 3/4 yrs. CAM is getting millions, MILLIONS, to put a product on the floor that is competitive. Hasn't happened. The team reflects the coaching staff. Glass struck out. "Me thinks" he saw it coming and bailed. He prolly figured out after 1st yr CAM was a  bad hire. CAM is mid major material and no better. Recruiting is going to fail miserably because of it. Sure plenty of kids would love to play for IU but are they the caliber IU needs. 

Underwood-Illinois  

Holtmann-Ohio State

Pikiell-Rutgers

This is just in the B1G

nuff said

Howard at Michigan as well. 

My grandpa is 88 years old and has probably never even heard of message boards. He’s as disgusted with the program as much as any poster on here. The feeling is definitely in the general fan population at this point. Anyone who follows IU basketball at all knows we suck.

I started to doubt Archie in his second season when we lost 12 out of 13 games. That team had no business being that bad. I believed the rumors that the issues were issues with player chemistry. I believed that things would be different once those individuals were gone. Well, they’re gone and the problems are still there. When you have the same problem as players cycle in and out, it’s a coaching issue. 

In case nobody has been paying attention but the national talking heads still LOVE CAM. Not sure why.  Dackich is about the only one calling him out. Don't always agree with everything DD says or does but he's been right about CAM from the get go. DDs still good entertainment though...

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

There is a good chance next year that we'll have a pretty darn good team if TJD returns and our freshman develop. I mean come on, Lander in high school right now would be putting up 20+PPG, he's adjustment to the speed of the game in the best conference in America. Kids develop at different rates, I'd like to think we all agree he's going to be alright come a couple years from now.

We add in Parker, a proven shooter and D1 player. We add Joey back for backcourt, senior leadership depth. Our freshman improve with the hopes of Trey learning how to shoot, Leal improving his scoring abilities, and Jordan improving his offensive abilities.. there's a chance. This is Archie's best class without a doubt. Yes we can have the fans say "Archie can't develop players" blah blah blah. Well if Race and Frank improved this much on their own then I'd like to think they'll take the freshman under their wings this summer with a full offseason program.

If all things go somewhat OK on paper.. we could make a nice little appearance in March Madness next year. A deep run could save Archie's job next year. 

But it's all If of course. 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

There is a good chance next year that we'll have a pretty darn good team if TJD returns and our freshman develop. I mean come on, Lander in high school right now would be putting up 20+PPG, he's adjustment to the speed of the game in the best conference in America. Kids develop at different rates, I'd like to think we all agree he's going to be alright come a couple years from now.

We add in Parker, a proven shooter and D1 player. We add Joey back for backcourt, senior leadership depth. Our freshman improve with the hopes of Trey learning how to shoot, Leal improving his scoring abilities, and Jordan improving his offensive abilities.. there's a chance. This is Archie's best class without a doubt. Yes we can have the fans say "Archie can't develop players" blah blah blah. Well if Race and Frank improved this much on their own then I'd like to think they'll take the freshman under their wings this summer with a full offseason program.

If all things go somewhat OK on paper.. we could make a nice little appearance in March Madness next year. A deep run could save Archie's job next year. 

But it's all If of course. 

While I like the optimism and agree, the speed of the game doesn’t cause someone to shoot it 24 feet when they standing 22 feet from the basket. Not sure if it’s the weight program or speed of the game but the inability to find even the rim on shots from Lander is both alarming and puzzling.

I do like the speed at which he plays at as opposed to the alternative at point guard so I don’t consider myself a “Lander hater” as you put it but his shot needs a complete overhaul this summer, all the way from his shoulder and feet alignment to the effort or strength he’s putting into his shots

Lander has airballed alot of shots no arguing that but our guards as a whole have put up some of the worst looking misses in iu basketball recent history. I mean open looks that only catch the backboard and no where near the rim is as bad as a airball imo. Shooting under archie miller has been a disaster as not one single player has developed into a consistent shooter. We have zero guys that when the shot goes up we think that is going in. At least for me I think every shot that goes up is probably missing and its getting old

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk