Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I'm beginning to wonder if a serious drop-off in attendance is the only thing that might move the needle for the powers-that-be. It would be pretty hard to pass that off as "message board overreactions"
There is no message board over reaction. The reality is right in front of everyone's face. We are fans of the program our reaction is going to imitate what the non message board iu fans reaction will be imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

I'm beginning to wonder if a serious drop-off in attendance is the only thing that might move the needle for the powers-that-be. It would be pretty hard to pass that off as "message board overreactions"

Likely won’t happen, but it wouldn’t be impossible to take on the Reddit approach and work together as IU fans to enforce our will.

Right now, the admins and the handful of big donors hold all the cards. The rest of the IU fanbase is ignored because individually we don’t matter but collectively we hold a lot of weight.

Apathy is at an all-time high. I know people who used to watch the games religiously that just can't do it anymore. 

The buyout might seem like a lot, but keeping Miller for another year just to reduce it is only going to result in more ugly basketball and more fans moving on to their new post-Covid hobbies. It's like not getting vaccinated because you're afraid of the side effects. The side effects, or in this case, the buyout, are preferable to getting the disease itself (more Archie Miller basketball and more apathy toward the program). 

Do we have expectations or don't we?  If we do, are we okay with paying a guy that much to be this bad?  If the answer is no, there is no reason for Miller to keep his job.  At the other jobs of this caliber best case is his seat is so hot he can't sit down and worst case is an interim coach finishes the year.
We need to put our big boy pants on and make it happen; that is how IU makes a comeback.  Not by falling for a one year run, but making sure we land the guy we want because we won't accept less.
The problem is we don't make that decision or have the purse strings.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We could go on all day with this but it really wasn’t the horribly constructed roster that you state it to be, no worse than the rosters Archie has put together. 

It was constructed to play faster and none of them had played a pack like defense. The fact that Archie tried to implement a new offense and new defense, one that takes 3 years to learn was why we got our **** pushed in. That roster was more than capable of making the tourney. 

he pushed his style and pace on a roster that he shouldn’t have. No way in hell does that team lose game one by 21 to Indiana state without him messing up their flow

Yeah getting into the weeds on what happened in year 1 was never the point. It was about the progression over the 4 year period of the scenario that was presented. But as happens here, discussing something like that just gets lost in the why we should fire him now discussion, and we end up with an analysis going into the weeds on what happened in year one. 

No way in hell if this kind of stuff continues

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's all about the Benjamin's. I don't think they will pay it this year because of covid. Yes I know it can be paid over years. That 6.5 million they will be saving by waiting until next year, can help the Athletic Department in other areas. I'm not arguing they should wait. I want him gone. I just believe that could be their thought process.
I hope I'm proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It's all about the Benjamin's. I don't think they will pay it this year because of covid. Yes I know it can be paid over years. That 6.5 million they will be saving by waiting until next year, can help the Athletic Department in other areas. I'm not arguing they should wait. I want him gone. I just believe that could be their thought process.
I hope I'm proven wrong.

I agree, they likely won’t do it and $ will be a reason but I have no doubt that the lifetime value at risk is waaayyy more than $6.5m. 

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Apathy is at an all-time high. I know people who used to watch the games religiously that just can't do it anymore. 

The buyout might seem like a lot, but keeping Miller for another year just to reduce it is only going to result in more ugly basketball and more fans moving on to their new post-Covid hobbies. It's like not getting vaccinated because you're afraid of the side effects. The side effects, or in this case, the buyout, are preferable to getting the disease itself (more Archie Miller basketball and more apathy toward the program). 

Sadly, this is where I am. I used to never miss a game and drove to see a few every year. For me, it started toward the end of Crean’s tenure, but I came back to see how Archie would turn it around. I was encouraged by his first season, thinking he did quite a lot with the talent he had. Unfortunately, for me anyway, my apathy has grown every season since. It’s hard for me to get excited because I know for every Iowa win, there’s going to be an ugly Purdue, Michigan State (this year), or Indiana State loss. This is the definition of mediocrity. 
Crean’s teams reflected his wild personality swings, but at least you got a high every few years. Archie just keeps an even keel, never getting too high or too low for very long (12 game losing streaks aside).

9 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

The problem is we don't make that decision or have the purse strings.

Don't get me wrong, he won't be gone this year as much as it'd be deserved.  He won't be gone next year either, they'll give him a couple years too long like they did Crean.  They don't care about the damage that'll do to the program.

Don't get me wrong, he won't be gone this year as much as it'd be deserved.  He won't be gone next year either, they'll give him a couple years too long like they did Crean.  They don't care about the damage that'll do to the program.

I’m in the camp that used to watch every game religiously, but I could care less to watch because of how bad this product is. However, if this continues next season he WILL be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’m in the camp that used to watch every game religiously, but I could care less to watch because of how bad this product is. However, if this continues next season he WILL be gone.

He shouldn't get next season, he doesn't deserve it.

Money is the issue until a booster is willing to pay it. The boosters can give the money for the buyout and if Iu doesn’t want to move on, then they can withhold their donations. Pretty simple. OldFriend was on here last week talking about the person whose name is on the building is pissed of about the product. Well she alone can influence a change. But she wouldn’t be the only one if it came to it. 

Prediction:

IU misses the tournament - completely loses the remainder of the fanbase, recruiting stalls further, yet he lives on to coach next year. We go into year 5 unranked with no excitement for the new season.

next year we see a ton of the same, but are an 11 seed and make the tourney, lose first game, fanbase screams for a change and he is extended more years as you can’t fire a coach that made the tourney and we all die a little inside and turn into nebraskaball

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Likely won’t happen, but it wouldn’t be impossible to take on the Reddit approach and work together as IU fans to enforce our will.

Right now, the admins and the handful of big donors hold all the cards. The rest of the IU fanbase is ignored because individually we don’t matter but collectively we hold a lot of weight.

I’m all in for the Reddit approach. What do you suggest? I can’t take another 20 years of s__t basketball.

He shouldn't get next season, he doesn't deserve it.

Trust me, I want him gone now, but it just won’t happen because of $$. It sucks because I believe we have a good team, but we are stuck with Archie for another season.

30 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Prediction:

IU misses the tournament - completely loses the remainder of the fanbase, recruiting stalls further, yet he lives on to coach next year. We go into year 5 unranked with no excitement for the new season.

next year we see a ton of the same, but are an 11 seed and make the tourney, lose first game, fanbase screams for a change and he is extended more years as you can’t fire a coach that made the tourney and we all die a little inside and turn into nebraskaball

I wouldn't go that far personally, but this is the most likely scenario unfortunately.

We'll get into the NIT, go into next season with little to no excitement, and call a 20-11 record a "success".

13 hours ago, 8bucks said:

This is more than message board and fan frustration. When the Indianapolis Star runs this headline it is beyond crazy fan expectations. A week or so ago Doyle also wrote a negative piece on Archie.  

he has lost the media as well as the fans 

F6D15BA4-E511-47C8-A709-F6A8FF27BF04.png

Not defending Archie here, but this is a classless publication by the Star and Doyle salivates and hating on IU and creating a Boiler love fest. It's his MO. All press is good press from the perspective of the Indy Star. They're the media version of Dan Dakich...who got LIT UP by TJD's brother on Twitter this morning for his childish jabbing at college kids. 

18 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I wouldn't go that far personally, but this is the most likely scenario unfortunately.

We'll get into the NIT, go into next season with little to no excitement, and call a 20-11 record a "success".

I think there’s a reasonably likely scenario that’s an even more extreme version of this. Stumble into the NIT or barely the NCAAs this year...but then TJD unexpectedly comes back a la Donsunmu and IU is quite good next year as this year’s freshmen contribute more and Stewart adds some dependable backcourt scoring.

So then Arch gets an extension, Lander and TJD leave, and we’re right back where we’ve been for three years.