Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Do we have expectations or don't we?  If we do, are we okay with paying a guy that much to be this bad?  If the answer is no, there is no reason for Miller to keep his job.  At the other jobs of this caliber best case is his seat is so hot he can't sit down and worst case is an interim coach finishes the year.
We need to put our big boy pants on and make it happen; that is how IU makes a comeback.  Not by falling for a one year run, but making sure we land the guy we want because we won't accept less.
I would be on board for interim after today. I have been adamant that iu is not still a blue blood and are still trying to be great just the results haven't happened. Hang on to this guy another year and I will start doubting. I believe glass when he said what he wanted and I believe he felt archie was the guy. I also know some of you predicted or claimed to know archie would suck. I believed he would be the guy I also believe iu did as well. It hasn't happened so now time to step up and fire his butt now!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Do we have expectations or don't we?  If we do, are we okay with paying a guy that much to be this bad?  If the answer is no, there is no reason for Miller to keep his job.  At the other jobs of this caliber best case is his seat is so hot he can't sit down and worst case is an interim coach finishes the year.

We need to put our big boy pants on and make it happen; that is how IU makes a comeback.  Not by falling for a one year run, but making sure we land the guy we want because we won't accept less.

Agreed. Just think of the top programs in college basketball. If their coach had a 4 year span like Archie, especially in their first four years, would they keep him? And if they wouldn’t keep him, why would we? 

The situation is getting depressing and I don't see a lot of good and realistic options to get the program on an upward trajectory right now. I looked back to my top 5 list in this thread from just January 15th and I don't know if any of those guys are viable at this point. Oats just got a big extension with a big buyout, Collins is on a big losing streak for the second year in a row, not sure if Woodson makes sense, who knows how long Donovan will be with the Bulls, and Beilein would be 69 assuming we wait until after Archie's buyout drops.  

I love the idea of Matta provided he is healthy and willing to do the Big Ten coaching grind again.  At minimum it sounds like he has turned down opportunities with Georgia and Wichita St but I think he would give a lot of consideration if IU called.  That's the only option giving me hope at this point. 

Edited by craigyv88

This is more than message board and fan frustration. When the Indianapolis Star runs this headline it is beyond crazy fan expectations. A week or so ago Doyle also wrote a negative piece on Archie.  

he has lost the media as well as the fans 
F6D15BA4-E511-47C8-A709-F6A8FF27BF04.thumb.png.adb9e4bec39af260a8139b32cb3d4633.png
Well I mean at this point there isn't any denying the program is trouble. Purdue wouldn't put up with these results for Pete's sake .

21 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I would be on board for interim after today. I have been adamant that iu is not still a blue blood and are still trying to be great just the results haven't happened. Hang on to this guy another year and I will start doubting. I believe glass when he said what he wanted and I believe he felt archie was the guy. I also know some of you predicted or claimed to know archie would suck. I believed he would be the guy I also believe iu did as well. It hasn't happened so now time to step up and fire his butt now!

I didn't want Glass involved with the decision, unless it was asking who he'd hire so we knew who to avoid.  Needless to say, I fully expected him to screw it up.

5 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Well after this game my thoughts are basically....who cares anymore right? You won't find anyone in our fanbase that says some of our losses early on were ok. But, I guess we disagree on a few things. I think expecting that roster to win 20 games his first season is quite the stretch. That was one of the most horribly constructed rosters Crean assembled in my opinion. Year 2 it was fair to expect that from that roster. As far as progression, I don't follow how it's not valid. So we were worse than you expected in those 2 years, do you not expect to see progression? There is a far better argument to be made to fire him if he had been better in the first to years, and therefore very average across the board all for years than there is to fire him after the 4 year progress that Stuhoo laid out. It's all a moot point now since making the tournament at all is on life support, but that wasn't the point. 

I suppose I'll hope that in whatever year Archie is actually fired, that Villanova and Virginia all of a sudden decide that progression was not the important thing. The first few seasons being underwhelming were the important thing, so Wright and Bennett have to go. Maybe we can snag one of them. 

Indiana got blown out by Indiana State, IPFW, Nebraska and Rutgers by a total of 57 points in his first season. Those losses are inexcusable and had he won those, which we weren’t really close in doing, that’s 20 wins and we are a shoe in for the NIT and likely in the tourney.

He had plenty of head scratching blow out losses in year two as well. Those both should have been 20 win seasons. You can’t ditch work on Monday and then show up on Tuesday and when your getting fired say “hey, I at least showed up today, so that’s progress”. When your starting at a baseline of squat, progress argument is moot. 

and at least for me, had he made the tourney in each of his first 3 seasons then being a bubble team in year 4 wouldn’t have me in the “fire him” camp. If your worst year is “bubble” I can deal with that

We’ve been in what, 5 OT’s correct? We’re not very skilled and sure we can blame Archie for that (recruiting). But despite our skill, I’m still impressed we can even win in this league with basically 3 basketball players. TJD, Race, and Frank. I mean with our shooting woes, free throws, upperclassmen guards not showing up, Archie being the “worst” coach in the league, it seems impossible we’d even win three games this year. 

So there is a positive, we’ve won basketball games! 

EDIT: Thoughts on my new profile picture?

33 minutes ago, Treesh said:

We’ve been in what, 5 OT’s correct? We’re not very skilled and sure we can blame Archie for that (recruiting). But despite our skill, I’m still impressed we can even win in this league with basically 3 basketball players. TJD, Race, and Frank. I mean with our shooting woes, free throws, upperclassmen guards not showing up, Archie being the “worst” coach in the league, it seems impossible we’d even win three games this year. 

So there is a positive, we’ve won basketball games! 

EDIT: Thoughts on my new profile picture?

Its ugly basketball. We muddy up the games to the point that we can stay in it.

23 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Its ugly basketball. We muddy up the games to the point that we can stay in it.

And that's Rutgers basketball, not Indiana. That makes Archies time here even more embarrassing. Indiana basketball is supposed to be like priceless art.

37 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

No way in hell if this kind of stuff continues

Before April 2022? $10.35 million.

After April 1st, 2022? $3.5 million

Money would be spread out through 2024 or until he lands a job. That’s a lot of money! 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Indiana got blown out by Indiana State, IPFW, Nebraska and Rutgers by a total of 57 points in his first season. Those losses are inexcusable and had he won those, which we weren’t really close in doing, that’s 20 wins and we are a shoe in for the NIT and likely in the tourney.

He had plenty of head scratching blow out losses in year two as well. Those both should have been 20 win seasons. You can’t ditch work on Monday and then show up on Tuesday and when your getting fired say “hey, I at least showed up today, so that’s progress”. When your starting at a baseline of squat, progress argument is moot. 

and at least for me, had he made the tourney in each of his first 3 seasons then being a bubble team in year 4 wouldn’t have me in the “fire him” camp. If your worst year is “bubble” I can deal with that

Yeah like I said it was a horribly constructed roster in his first year, which is a perfect scenario for terrible losses. Terrible losses that were inexcusable and no one will defend. And I said in year 2, that 20 wins was fair to be expected. That was an underachievement for sure. But your not showing up to work on Monday and showing up on Tuesday being progress analogy is not even close to the scenario that was being discussed. But look, I get it. It’s increasingly difficult for many people to separate the exact scenario we are in currently in this moment from a scenario being discussed on this board, to refer back to Stuhoo’s post. 

Before April 2022? $10.35 million.
After April 1st, 2022? $3.5 million

Money would be spread out through 2024 or until he lands a job. That’s a lot of money! 
I know its alot of money but the program is worth more than that. We will bleed revenue if this continues. I think to give archie this long was right and fair but not next year at this point. Assembly will be ugly next year if we are not good

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And that's Rutgers basketball, not Indiana. That makes Archies time here even more embarrassing. Indiana basketball is supposed to be like priceless art.

I would like to see a team that is multi-dimensional. One that can win pretty run and gun but can adapt and win ugly too. 

be able to push the pace when the opposition allows for it. Get out of the pack line against teams that can shoot from 3. 

be able to adapt/coach/train for all types of teams

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I know its alot of money but the program is worth more than that. We will bleed revenue if this continues. I think to give archie this long was right and fair but not next year at this point. Assembly will be ugly next year if we are not good

it sounds like the other in-state NCAA tournament sites are putting the cap on attendance at 25% but IU is putting it at 500 people

maybe they'll use COVID as a pretext to do something similar next season...to keep things "contained"

5 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Yeah like I said it was a horribly constructed roster in his first year, which is a perfect scenario for terrible losses. Terrible losses that were inexcusable and no one will defend. And I said in year 2, that 20 wins was fair to be expected. That was an underachievement for sure. But your not showing up to work on Monday and showing up on Tuesday being progress analogy is not even close to the scenario that was being discussed. But look, I get it. It’s increasingly difficult for many people to separate the exact scenario we are in currently in this moment from a scenario being discussed on this board, to refer back to Stuhoo’s post. 

We could go on all day with this but it really wasn’t the horribly constructed roster that you state it to be, no worse than the rosters Archie has put together. 

It was constructed to play faster and none of them had played a pack like defense. The fact that Archie tried to implement a new offense and new defense, one that takes 3 years to learn was why we got our **** pushed in. That roster was more than capable of making the tourney. 

he pushed his style and pace on a roster that he shouldn’t have. No way in hell does that team lose game one by 21 to Indiana state without him messing up their flow

it sounds like the other in-state NCAA tournament sites are putting the cap on attendance at 25% but IU is putting it at 500 people
maybe they'll use COVID as a pretext to do something similar next season...to keep things "contained"
Yea covid could play a factor in that. Would love to know how we stand with merchandise revenue currently. I know pretty diehard fans that don't care anymore. Its getting disturbing

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

Yea covid could play a factor in that. Would love to know how we stand with merchandise revenue currently. I know pretty diehard fans that don't care anymore. Its getting disturbing

I'm beginning to wonder if a serious drop-off in attendance is the only thing that might move the needle for the powers-that-be. It would be pretty hard to pass that off as "message board overreactions"