Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

There’s amazing coaches at all level and yes I get what you mean. The idea of even hiring another mid major coach would be enough to cause a riot on Kirkwood.

Scott has no easy choice unless someone says they are coming to save the day. What great coach would leave their current great program to coach a dying program? 

This won’t be good. 

It would be nice to have a “great coach,” but merely average-to-good coaches have gotten IU to the national championship game, made three sweet sixteens, won two conference titles, etc. in the last twenty years. 

16 minutes ago, Treesh said:

There’s amazing coaches at all level and yes I get what you mean. The idea of even hiring another mid major coach would be enough to cause a riot on Kirkwood.

Scott has no easy choice unless someone says they are coming to save the day. What great coach would leave their current great program to coach a dying program? 

This won’t be good. 

If healthy, Thad Matta. His buyout is low. He may like Archie but he will also recognized Archie has failed and there is a young core of quality players. But his health needs to be in a good place. Matta is only 53 years old too. 

edit: he is also living in Indy, as he has a kid at Butler. 

18 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If healthy, Thad Matta. His buyout is low. He may like Archie but he will also recognized Archie has failed and there is a young core of quality players. But his health needs to be in a good place. Matta is only 53 years old too. 

edit: he is also living in Indy, as he has a kid at Butler. 

I get he’s a good coach. But he hasn’t coached a game of basketball I’m four years. That’s something to heavily consider.

I get he’s a good coach. But he hasn’t coached a game of basketball I’m four years. That’s something to heavily consider.

Yeah but I’m sure there hasn’t been a drop in basketball IQ. Sometimes a change of perspective with some time on the outside of a situation allows someone to assess things differently and make changes for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s the progression part that I am replying to. The “progression” in my opinion isn’t valid. When you suck for the first two seasons, progression is the only real direction you can go. If he did what I though he should have in seasons 1 and 2, there is no real progression at all, just consistently being very average across the board all 4 years. Consistently average isnt ammo to keep a coach 

there is no excuse for not making the NIT in his first season, none. No reason we shouldn’t have won 20 games both his first two seasons. Look at our losses and tell me all of those were ok. 

Well after this game my thoughts are basically....who cares anymore right? You won't find anyone in our fanbase that says some of our losses early on were ok. But, I guess we disagree on a few things. I think expecting that roster to win 20 games his first season is quite the stretch. That was one of the most horribly constructed rosters Crean assembled in my opinion. Year 2 it was fair to expect that from that roster. As far as progression, I don't follow how it's not valid. So we were worse than you expected in those 2 years, do you not expect to see progression? There is a far better argument to be made to fire him if he had been better in the first to years, and therefore very average across the board all for years than there is to fire him after the 4 year progress that Stuhoo laid out. It's all a moot point now since making the tournament at all is on life support, but that wasn't the point. 

I suppose I'll hope that in whatever year Archie is actually fired, that Villanova and Virginia all of a sudden decide that progression was not the important thing. The first few seasons being underwhelming were the important thing, so Wright and Bennett have to go. Maybe we can snag one of them. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Is this team better than last year? Serious question. 

This team comes and goes by the play of our guards. 

Al is inconsistent. Rob is inconsistent. 

Besides the free throws, the defense and offense are fine. We are better without DG. Race and Franklin have been bright spots. Al and Rob have cost us more than they’ve helped us. 

54 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Is this team better than last year? Serious question. 

No. This team against last year's team....eh, this year's team is probably -2.5. If they are better it's not by enough. 

Anticipated follow up question to me: "Then why are you talking about their progression?"

My answer: "I'm not." 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If I were inclined to make a snarky comment --  has Archie?   

The two games vs Iowa ;) 

In a general note, great coaches are on all levels. A high school, NAIA, or JUCO coach could very well succeed at IU. The problem we have at hand now is that we've been so bad since CTC's last year that the fanbase is UPSET. Archie is constantly trending on Twitter whenever IU loses, but never win IU wins. We have the IU homers wanting Steve, we have the fantasy dreamers (like me) who demand Brad Stevens, hell we even have fans asking for Sampson to come back. 

If we hire a no name, I think we're losing the fan base even more. There will be casual fans that say "anyone" is better than Archie. However, if IU is indeed still a "great" job then we should have no problem making a big hire. I'm on the other end of things saying IU isn't that great of a job and I find it hard to believe we'll find the right guy. A no name who doesn't do as great as Archie may very well be the end of IU basketball. That worries me. 

Scott Dolson will have the longest two years of his life, 2020 - 2022, with the amount of pressure on the IU basketball program. His career will unfortunately be decided based off this hire alone. A little unfair on his end but it's the truth. 

As Mike Davis once said I believe "Help is on the way" but is it? 

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

The two games vs Iowa ;) 

In a general note, great coaches are on all levels. A high school, NAIA, or JUCO coach could very well succeed at IU. The problem we have at hand now is that we've been so bad since CTC's last year that the fanbase is UPSET. Archie is constantly trending on Twitter whenever IU loses, but never win IU wins. We have the IU homers wanting Steve, we have the fantasy dreamers (like me) who demand Brad Stevens, hell we even have fans asking for Sampson to come back. 

If we hire a no name, I think we're losing the fan base even more. There will be casual fans that say "anyone" is better than Archie. However, if IU is indeed still a "great" job then we should have no problem making a big hire. I'm on the other end of things saying IU isn't that great of a job and I find it hard to believe we'll find the right guy. A no name who doesn't do as great as Archie may very well be the end of IU basketball. That worries me. 

Scott Dolson will have the longest two years of his life, 2020 - 2022, with the amount of pressure on the IU basketball program. His career will unfortunately be decided based off this hire alone. A little unfair on his end but it's the truth. 

As Mike Davis once said I believe "Help is on the way" but is it? 

While you may be right that the wrong hire is the end of IU basketball. But honestly, if IU basketball is over then it died 4 years ago in Creans last season. Archie hasn’t risen the program up. If a new coach comes in and it’s more of the same mediocrity or worse, seats will still be empty. The only thing to get IU basketball back is to win and win consistently. I don’t care about a name coach. I just want the right coach. Whoever that may be. If it’s Archie turning it around next year fantastic. If it’s Alford, I don’t care. Matta, fantastic. Just win baby. 

I see alot of archie talk in game thread probably belongs here i keep hoping archie can succeed but today even more damage was done to that. I really am done we have better talent than our record is showing imo. I mean Today along with many others was just beyond ridiculous. I literally will take anybody else at this point. I have had it with this kind of stuff. Who worst coach in this league is I don't know but this is indiana and year 4 this in unacceptable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm sad that this thread exists.  I was very vocal about how bad Archie would be as a coach here.  I took heat for it, but I could clearly see how bad he would be.  

For his first couple years here, I couldn't wait until it was over.  I couldn't wait to be vindicated.  I couldn't wait to tell people how brilliant I am when it comes to picking the IU coach and they were idiots.

Now that everybody has realized it, I don't feel proud.  I feel sad.  I hate where we are.  I hate the results Archie has produced.  I was right on Archie, but that doesn't mean I'll be right on the next coach.  Many posters here were wrong on Archie, but that doesn't mean they'll be wrong on the next one.  

We just need a fresh start.  We need solidarity.  Archie must go.  

I honestly didnt think he could be this bad.

Do we have expectations or don't we?  If we do, are we okay with paying a guy that much to be this bad?  If the answer is no, there is no reason for Miller to keep his job.  At the other jobs of this caliber best case is his seat is so hot he can't sit down and worst case is an interim coach finishes the year.

We need to put our big boy pants on and make it happen; that is how IU makes a comeback.  Not by falling for a one year run, but making sure we land the guy we want because we won't accept less.

I tried to find the optimistic path earlier but that did not work. Archie had a realistic path for a nice finish and while that can still happen losses like this really make it seem unlikely. A 6-2 finish with a nice run in the NCAA could give even a doubter like me reason to hope. A .500 finis followed by the same run would be better than no run but I would feel that run was a fluke.